Moisture Concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amcros

Hello all,

I am currently in an Imagine 2670mk which I purchased new this past July and have been very disappointed by the amount of problems I have had thus far.  However, this by far the most concerning yet!

So, last night a smell around the base of my toilet concerned me as to a lack of a proper seal which I know can also cause water leakage.  Although, there is and has not been any water around the base of the toilet I went ahead and used my moisture meter to check the floor at the base of toilet and the surrounding area.  To my dismay the moisture meter detected high amounts of moisture throughout the entire floor of bathroom and about 2 feet of the flooring on the adjacent side of wall in the living room.

This morning I contacted both GD and the technician from the dealer and neither were any help whatsoever!

What I've done/noticed so far:

*I have taken off every panel/vent I could within the area to gain access and have found no dampness whatsoever.

*This morning I did notice a dripping from the underside of TT coming through the spray foam insulation where all the holding tank pipes meet up at the sewer outlet.

*I am currently connected to city water which I turned off and tested water pump which did cycle intermittently with no water running

Does anyone know what the problem would be and what I should do?

I am very concerned about water damage and the possibility of potential of mold growth.  Mold is the reason I am currently living full time in TT which I thought would be a good temporary living solution (which I now regret)  after a hidden leak forced me to leave my house and all my belongings a little over a year ago after I became increasingly and chronically ill caused by exposure to mold.  So for me the possibility of re exposure would be absolutely detrimental and would destroy what small advancements I have made towards regaining my health!

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

amcros said:
*I am currently connected to city water which I turned off and tested water pump which did cycle intermittently with no water running
Does anyone know what the problem would be and what I should do?

You say your pump runs intermitently tells me that probably you have a water leak in the pipe feeding the toilet. Look at that closely.
What you're smelling is probably not coming from the black tank but may be the start of mold by the dampness.

With such an important issue to you, if it is not under warranty, I would hire a mobile RV tech come and analyze the situation.  Good luck !  Could be many different possibilities. 

Thanks for the responses,

So after initial post I opened up part of the underbelly to find about a gallon of sitting under the bathroom around where I initially saw the dripping.
The technician from the dealership where purchased came out yesterday and checked all connections and said that everything was fine and that the water in the underbelly was due to condensation he also cut slit in under belly to let water out.

I due live in Texas and it has been very warm and damp the past several days but I find it very hard to believe that much water was due to condensation especially since I hadn?t showered for two days prior to this and would think there would be ?condensation? under areas like kitchen sink where water is had been used much more frequently.

I am also still getting 100% moisture reading (on wall setting) or 35% (set on wood) wasn?t sure which to use both setting set of red alarm beeps. 
I am a complete novice when it comes to RV/ TT but my gut is telling me there is definitely something wrong!  Given the evidence would you believe everything was fine and solely due to condensation?  Also, what are thoughts on likeliness there is water in the floor?

I am willing to do whatever means necessary to remedy the situation I just don?t know where to begin.  I am waiting to hear back from my plumber and from several rv mobile repair service I have called this morning.  I also currently have my dehumidifier running in the bathroom and am limiting my water use.

Any other suggestions? 
I just can?t wait for there to be visible signs of water damage for something to be done by for then it will be too late!

amcros said:
Thanks for the responses,

So after initial post I opened up part of the underbelly to find about a gallon of sitting under the bathroom around where I initially saw the dripping.
The technician from the dealership where purchased came out yesterday and checked all connections and said that everything was fine and that the water in the underbelly was due to condensation he also cut slit in under belly to let water out.

I due live in Texas and it has been very warm and damp the past several days but I find it very hard to believe that much water was due to condensation especially since I hadn?t showered for two days prior to this and would think there would be ?condensation? under areas like kitchen sink where water is had been used much more frequently.

I am also still getting 100% moisture reading (on wall setting) or 35% (set on wood) wasn?t sure which to use both setting set of red alarm beeps. 
I am a complete novice when it comes to RV/ TT but my gut is telling me there is definitely something wrong!  Given the evidence would you believe everything was fine and solely due to condensation?  Also, what are thoughts on likeliness there is water in the floor?

I am willing to do whatever means necessary to remedy the situation I just don?t know where to begin.  I am waiting to hear back from my plumber and from several rv mobile repair service I have called this morning.  I also currently have my dehumidifier running in the bathroom and am limiting my water use.

Any other suggestions? 
I just can?t wait for there to be visible signs of water damage for something to be done by for then it will be too late!

If you found a gallon of water I would say no way that is condensation.  I have no idea of how much humidity is down in your land but that sounds crazy.  I would now that it is open have the water pressure on and put a catch can or something.  That water came from above and that is where floors and walls are. The poor quality subfloors on rvs do not like moisture.  If a rv guy cut my under belley I would be really ticked off.  I am going with the assumption it was clean water.  I looked up your unit and see the hose for the toilet water supply goes down through the floor grommet.  You could place a paper towel around the hose and let it sit to see if there is any water going down there that might not be visible or even felt.  If the towel gets soaked after a bit you will know if the line to toilet is leaking.  Then you have a shower beside it and you might want to take the face off the tap and feel for any moisture on those lines.  Just some ideas to track a leak.  I think most trailers use a similar faucet to a house so there should be a fairly large hole to access the valves.   

Welcome to the Forum!  Sorry for the reason.

The dehumidifier is a great step!  The Toilet paper  or paper towel trick is a great way to check for leaks.  It could be used in the underbelly piping as well.  A shower supply leak is certainly possible.

My twin brother has insane allergies to lots of things.  I understand your issue.  A mobile tech is probably your quickest, best route.

Check the roof vent, perhaps rain water follows the vent pipe down.

The pump cycling could be the check valve in the pump and not a leak. 

Pull the toilet and check for water in the floor around the flange.

I had a similar problem. It was the toilet flush valve leaking and then running around the water line grommet. Place a hand towel behind the toilet and check often that will tell you if that is where the leak is.

Thanks,

Y'all have all been great!  I have put a towel behind the toilet and hopefully that will reveal the problem.  I also will check the vents which I had not even thought of!  Yesterday I ordered parts in case I need to pull the toilet and already checked behind shower control knobs which was fine after being wrapped overnight with paper towels.  I also got a video inspection camera which I plan to try to use now that I have a slit (argh) in my underbelly!

Hopefully I will have it tracked down by the end of the day!

I suggest getting the dealer to get this resolved, or indeed consider contacting the manufacturer directly as you must still be under warranty and anything you do may void it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizwood71
Back
Top Bottom