Shore power not charging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbunkley

When I plug up our motor home it's not changing both chassis and house batteries. What could be the problem?

There are people on this forum much smarter than me - but here are some questions I'd ask you:
1.  What make/model/year of your motorhome.
2.  Do you have an inverter/converter?  What make/model?
3.  Did it used to work?  When, and when did it stop?

Most MH systems do not try to charge the house bank.  Are you sure yours is supposed to?
How long have you had this coach? 
Does it have a battery disconnect? (aka saleman switch)
Do you own a service meter of any type? 

We maybe can help if we know more.

Matt

Matt_C said:
Most MH systems do not try to charge the house bank.  Are you sure yours is supposed to?
How long have you had this coach? 
Does it have a battery disconnect? (aka saleman switch)
Do you own a service meter of any type? 

We maybe can help if we know more.

Matt

You have that backwards. House do indeed get charged. Some don't charge the chassis.

rbunkley said:
When I plug up our motor home it's not changing both chassis and house batteries. What could be the problem?

Battery disconnect near the door turned on?

Yes, I got it backwards.  Sorry. 
Most MH converters do not try to charge the chassis battery. 

Most have the capability to charge the house bank from the engine alternator.

You can buy and add devices to charge the chassis battery from the converter aka house bank when on shore power.

Matt

Generator and shore power charge house batteries. Some motorhomes don?t charge chassis batteries. Ours was supposed to charge chassis, but didn?t. It was less trouble add a chassis battery charger to the circuit than try to debug the issue. They are inexpensive and easy to install, according to DH who actually did the work.

The KISS answer might be, is your AC main circuit breaker thrown?
or
Does it charge with the generator? The auto-transfer switch/solenoid might be stuck.

rbunkley said:

2005 .. Many but not all MH's had bi-directional violators..

If you have an Intelletec Battery Control Center I'd check all the fuses paying particular attention to the 5 amp jobs

On other makes and models  I'm not knowledgable as I'd like to be but you can check all fuses related to the battery control center.

ALso check ye old owner's manual to see if they claim it should or contact the manufacturer.

IF IT DOES NOT have a B.I.R.D. (Bidirectional Isolator Relay Device) then adding a Trick-L-Start should fix you up (it is a one way device like the standard one way "Motor charges house" isolator... but the other way)

I will probably repeat what has already been said but I am sorry. I cannot help myself. Not charging chassis batteries while plugged into sure power is a big red flag to the industry and is easily swept under the rug until suddenly the chassis battery needs replacing after a year or so or the buyer finds his chassis battery low or dead after being plugged in for days, weeks months then decides to find out why.

Dumb choice by the builders but easily hidden to save those valuable pennies. What is most disturbing is that it was hidden from the buyer thus putting buyers at risk of pre-mature battery replacement, poor battery life and just an really bad situation by bad designers. It is a very good indicator of the industry. It caught me off guard as I could not believe such ignorance would exist in a vehicle of $100,000 or more but I was wrong.

I use this in just about every formula for RV troubleshooting and I always wonder how many unsuspecting RV owners over the years fell victim to the young failing batteries, the coscequences and the replacement.

Yup, the coach probably does not charge the chassis battery when it should. An owner must figure that out on their own. Terrible.

Henry,
The rationale is that a majority of motorhomes don't stay parked for extended periods and thus the design is based on regular travel where the engine alternator does the charging (just like a car). The flaw in that rationale is that motorhomes often sit for weeks or even months between trips, plus they have a few systems that draw power from the chassis battery (entry steps, LP detector, etc.).  Even a modern electronic chassis battery maintainer (ala' Trik-L-Start) adds around $75 to the total production cost (components + labor), so it's a bit more than "pennies".  If you were to add up all the things a quality motorhome ought to have, I think the list would easily add a thousand or two to the MSRP.

The RV industry remains focused on low MSRPs because their entry-level customers are demand it.  The mid and upper price range models rarely lack features like battery management.  The entry level and "weekended" models are, in some respects, "strippers", equipped only for minimal needs.  Or maybe a "starter home" is a better analogy.  Buyers pay more for things they can see, not what is under the covers.  And they can always add more or better equipment later.

Another option (And you might wish to buy two) is the popular Battery Minder/Tender products. now you can get knock offs that may well fail within a month but I suggest the Genuine Battery Tender.. Batteries Plus sells them as do the better auto stores.. They make a 2 or 4 bank model as well as single bank (you might consider the 2 bank)

These have a commonj 15 amp 120 volt plug and charge at a very low rate but do a fantastic FLoat or De-sulfate depending on teh specific model

Mine... Is a "Delux"  about 2 amps in float mode as I recall (Hardly ever do that) 20 in "Boost" and 70 IN "Jump Start"

I"ve used both of those  It is the size of most common automotive chargers.. But the "Maintain only" devices are much smaller. Closer to a laptop power pack size.

I have a Die Hard brand maintainer/charger that I use to keep the battery up on the vehicle we leave behind at home when we head to our summer digs. It claims 5 stage charging at a max 2A rate and does a great job of keeping the car battery healthy for the 5 months we are away.

https://www.amazon.com/DieHard-71219-Battery-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B077742Y1H

Back
Top Bottom