Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Roof Bubble  (Read 1325 times)

Doc Roads

• ---
  • Western Snowbird 🌵🌲🍁❄️
Roof Bubble
« on: January 20, 2020, 02:04:15 PM »
I was up on the roof of my 2015 Adventurer 37F and noticed what appeared to be some lifting of the surface on the roof.  I pushed on it and there was some give, however there are no cracks or splits in the surface.  It appeared to be the outer layer was lifted a bit.  The size is about 3-4 inches across.  I know this is not good ... so whatís happening and what can I do about it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated ...

Doc
2015 Winn Adventurer 37F
2018 Jeep Sport Unlimited
🏜⛰🚙💨

JackL

• ---
Re: Roof Bubble
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 02:42:22 PM »
If it was mine, and it only lifts a tad, (1/4" or so) I would just circle it with a marker and keep my eye on it.
 If it gets larger, I would cut it out and if the under surface is dry and has nothing wrong with it, after cleaning it good with alcohol, just put a peel and stick patch over it, with a little self leveling Dicor around the patch edges.

Jack L
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:45:11 PM by JackL »

Doc Roads

• ---
  • Western Snowbird 🌵🌲🍁❄️
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 06:43:42 PM »
Thanks ... I have no idea how long itís been this way ... Iím going to watch it closely ...
Still not sure what is causing it ... any other insights?
2015 Winn Adventurer 37F
🏜⛰🚙💨

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 09:06:32 PM »
It's not unusual for bubbles to appear, but keep an eye on it - repairs are in order if it grows. We had to have major repairs done after a large section of rubber separated, then a leak developed.

A small area can be repaired by cutting a small slit in the rubber to gain access, gluing the rubber back down, then covering the slit with Eternabond tape.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Doc Roads

• ---
  • Western Snowbird 🌵🌲🍁❄️
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 10:32:59 PM »
Thanks JL & HW ... I will continue over watch ... I want to nip this problem in the bud ... as usual, early detection is the key ! 😁
2015 Winn Adventurer 37F
🏜⛰🚙💨

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 07:22:28 AM »
That's probably the Filon veneer separating from from the luan backing. If it bothers you enough you could drill a small hole in one or two places and inject epoxy - this might stop any further delamination. This technique is rather common with marine repairs. I remember reading about one guy that got an incrediable deal on a 40' Valient sailboat because the deck material was separating from its core material. The guy drilled about a thousand holes in the deck and injected epoxy, I don't remember any other details about the repair unfortunately. He got a $100K boat for peanuts.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 09:04:33 AM »
I know this is not good ... so whatís happening and what can I do about it?
Probably not "bad" either.  You have a fiberglass roof membrane and the fiberglass itself is watertite as long as no holes or cracks. It's not real unusual for a small area to be inadequately glued down and the roof material makers don't insist on it for warranty purposes either.

The only real concern is whether water has somehow penetrated underneath and caused the glue to fail there. Thus the advice to keep an eye on it to see if it spreads or the substrate gets soft. If it doesn't, no worries.  However, if there is water penetration the section needs to be cut out, the area repaired underneath, and then the section glued back in and sealed at the edges. All this after finding and fixing the source of the leak, of course.

Others have described a way to fix it cosmetically so I won't repeat. You can choose to do it or not, at your whim.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Doc Roads

• ---
  • Western Snowbird 🌵🌲🍁❄️
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 01:04:09 PM »
Thanks John et Gary!  I need to check the area around it for possible entry points and continue to monitor for growth and/or softening ... Thanks to all ... appreciate the insights and your experience!
2015 Winn Adventurer 37F
🏜⛰🚙💨

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 07:36:15 AM »
The roof sandwich (top down) is:

Filon
luan (1/8" 'plywood')
Styrofoam
luan
headliner

There are also structural elements in the roof. I would go ahead and inject epoxy under the Filon to get it bonded back to the luan. Moisture will ultimately penetrate the walls and roof, Ive found many rusted fasteners in sidewalls. It just happens, maybe through osmosis or ??
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Doc Roads

• ---
  • Western Snowbird 🌵🌲🍁❄️
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 10:25:35 PM »
Good point John ... what brand of epoxy do you recommend?
2015 Winn Adventurer 37F
🏜⛰🚙💨

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 07:10:57 AM »
The WEST system is the gold standard for all manner of epoxy and fillers. They might even have the syringe for injection, haven't looked at their site in a while. They have fast cure and slow cure hardeners. Their epoxy without fillers is not very viscous so it can be used in a syringe.

It's not cheap but it is the best.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 08:07:05 AM »
You don't need an epoxy to bond the roof sheet to the substrate.  You aren't repairing the actual fiberglass - just sticking it in place.  You just need a quality adhesive.  One of the products made for installing RV roof membranes (any type) is Cofair's Quick Roof Extreme.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cofair-6-in-White-Quick-Roof-Extreme-Adhesive-for-RV-UBE625/305227631

There are also adhesive products from 3M, Henry's, Liquid Nails and others.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 07:04:35 AM »
The point of epoxy is it can be injected in a tiny hole - if you want to slit the Filon and peel it back then the choices of adhesives is endless. If this was my roof, I would inject epoxy.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 08:12:02 AM »
I brought that up because it's "liquid adhesive" that is the important aspect for injection, not the fact that it is an epoxy.  Many flooring and laminate adhesives are sufficiently liquid to be injected.  Urethane adhesives too.  Heck, even Gorilla Glue would work.

Agree that injection is a good method for small areas like this one (3-4").  Injection is a PITA for large areas, though, so a slit works better. Don't necessarily have to peel it back - just raise enough to get a nozzle or broad putty knife under it.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 07:14:24 AM »
The advantage of epoxy is it will be absorbed into the wood unlike other adhesives. WEST is an acronym for Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Doc Roads

• ---
  • Western Snowbird 🌵🌲🍁❄️
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 01:44:57 PM »
Thanks for the information on the alternatives ...John and Gary, I appreciate the discussion on alternatives because this may not be the last irregularity on the roof!

-doc
2015 Winn Adventurer 37F
🏜⛰🚙💨

Neal

• ---
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 07:12:47 PM »
Sounds from above, it may be easier/cheaper to repair yourself but,
what kind of warranty does it have?
Our 2008 Winnebago Journey, I think had 10 year labor and roof skin warranty.
Neal,        2008 Winnebago Journey 39Z, Freightliner XC-S chassis,
Cummins ISB 6.7L 350 HP, Allison 3000,  2014 Honda CRV Toad.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2020, 09:53:11 AM »
Our 2008 Winnebago Journey, I think had 10 year labor and roof skin warranty.
I think you will find that warranty covers only the material itself and not the installation of it. Here's an excerpt from one 2004 owner manual:
Winnebago  warrants  the  aluminum  roof  skin  to  the  first  retail purchaser...   The aluminum roof skin will not rust, rot, corrode, or require painting or  refinishing  (normal  pigmentation  change  excepted)  under  normal  conditions of use.
Oddly, I did not find a similar statement in more recent owner manuals. Have they dropped the 10 year coverage?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:56:03 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
I didn't know Winnebago had any aluminum roofs and I'm sure the OPs roof is Fiberglas
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
605 watts of Solar
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Diesel AWD
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

nvrver

• ---
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2020, 12:14:12 PM »
I didn't know Winnebago had any aluminum roofs and I'm sure the OPs roof is Fiberglas
Our 1990 SuperChief had aluminum roof.  All Winnies we have owned since 2003 are fiberglass.
Charter Life Member Good Sam
RVing since 1984 - WIT W73792
2006 Winnebago 24v Class C, Ford V-10
2013 Honda CR-V EX AWD
I started out with nothing. I still have most of it.

SLOweather

• ---
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 12:36:21 PM »
Our 1990 SuperChief had aluminum roof.  All Winnies we have owned since 2003 are fiberglass.

Our 88 Suncruiser as well had an aluminum roof.
2014 Itasca Sunstar 31KE
1988 Itasca Suncruiser 31RQ
1968 Travco 201

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 06:58:24 AM »
Take a couple of high resolution photos of your roof bubble and send it to Winnie Owner Relations, maybe they can help you out or at the very least provide repair advice. I suspect their answer about a repair will be on your nickle and they recommend replacing the entire roof. Just a guess though, worth pursuing.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 08:24:27 AM »
Lest anyone think I'm nuts, the warranty excerpt I quoted above is from the owner manual of a 2004 Itasca Sunstar (link below).  Yes, some models had aluminum roofs rather then fiberglass.   In any case, the point was the warranty statement rather than the material and the warranties are the same whether fiberglass or aluminum.   It covers defects in the roof skin, not the installation process.

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/pdfs/Operator2004/04Sunstar.pdf
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 11:24:24 AM »
This is from the 2015 Adventurer Brochure

"Fiberglass Roof

The crowned, one-piece fiberglass roof is backed by a 10-year limited parts-and-labor roof skin warranty"

https://winnebagoind.com/binaries/content/assets/brochures/2015/2015-adventurer-digital.x.pdf
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
605 watts of Solar
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Diesel AWD
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Phormer Phantom Phixer
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 10:51:45 AM »
I know my bro-in-law got caught in a big storm somewhere in Oklahoma in his '00 Sightseer.  Left about 10 feet of his fiberglas roof in the parking lot of a Flying J.
The repair shop stripped the rest of the fiberglas off, repaired all the substrate damage, fabricated curved flashing for the edges and installed a rubber roof. 
Wally Crow
Retired 30+ year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53   "Kobayashi Maru"
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
FMCA F494768

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Five2o

• ---
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2020, 08:43:00 PM »
When I developed a large bubble in my roof of my 2010 Ellipse in the first year I owned it Winnebago replaced the roof. Shortly after every luan joint telegraphed and by last year I had 3 more roof bubbles one of which is 2'x2'. I talked to Winni about it but they said I got one roof so I'm on my own on this roof lol.

I make sure to redo the seam sealants every 6 months or so and will just keep going till the bubbles get way too large. So the warranty is not too iron clad it seems.

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 12:54:36 AM »
I have several places that are lifting. While i donít like it much I donít think its a big deal since the edges are sealed.

What IS a big deal is  1/2 KW of Solar panels stuck to the roof. Because of that i think ill map out the steel up there and manufacture SS strips to match the inner frame, rivet and seal

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 07:46:46 AM »
You can probably get Owner Relations to email you a structural diagram of the roof. I wonder if the absorbed heat of the solar panels is contributing to the Filon separating from the luan ply?
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather