rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Over one hour to connect TOAD. Sound about right?  (Read 1871 times)

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Phormer Phantom Phixer
Re: Over one hour to connect TOAD. Sound about right?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2020, 10:55:23 AM »
'Nuther point: I am not going to choose my car/truck by whether or not it can be dragged behind an RV. And I want my car instantly available for use to shop or examine a campground to find a site I like without jumping through hookup hoops. Besides which my following driver can assist with lane changes on interstates when necessary. But that's me. YMMV

I've been driving Jeeps probably 15 years longer than I've owned RVs, so that wasn't much of a choice.  It takes me literally 90 seconds to unhook the Jeep and drive away, so I don't see that as a problem.  Thirdly, I'd rather have my wife seated in the RV keeping me company for the 6-7 hours we usually travel in a day than driving behind me in the Jeep.  Also, the improvement in the RV's mileage by dropping the toad does not offset the cost of gas in the Jeep...by a long shot. 
Wally Crow
Retired 30+ year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53   "Kobayashi Maru"
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
FMCA F494768

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2020, 12:17:47 PM »
And I want my car instantly available for use to shop or examine a campground to find a site I like without jumping through hookup hoops. Besides which my following driver can assist with lane changes on interstates when necessary.

Like Wally, I prefer DW to be in the coach with me. In addition, she wouldn't put up with having to drive 1000+ miles following me, and she gets tired quicker and more easily than I do. And, given that even on a 3 day leg (Denver to Quartzsite, or to Baltimore, or to...) we rarely have any need to unhook the toad before our destination, and it's only a couple of minutes to unhook (we tow flat, no dolly) and not much more to rehook, her following me isn't an option for us. Think about the wear and tear on her. Check it again after a 1000+ mile trip (or even 500 miles).

Obviously it's your choice (and hers), but...

Oh, yes...
Also, the improvement in the RV's mileage by dropping the toad
The difference is almost nothing on a trip of any length.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »
So, if a car is not driven for six months would the wheel bearings need to be repacked? What about my boat trailer? I repack them in the fall after the last time they are dipped in the water. should I repack them again in spring before using it? IMHO, people make a lot of unnecessary work for themselves. If I did all the supposedly essential maintenance on everything I own that rolls up the highway, I'd never get a chance to use any of them. Not to mention my off road stuff like tractors and 4-wheelers.
Good point.
Obviously some common sense is required. Our utility trailer could sit for months and months in the outdoors.
We generally did a bering inspection and repack in the Spring. Same with boat trailer. When putting the boat away for the winter, we would always include an inspection, and repack if needed.
It's those guys who never bother with that for a few years that you will see sitting on the road with the wheel of their trailer a couple hundred yards off in the bush somewhere.
If I had my toad on a dolly, you bet your sweet Bippee that I would inspect those berings at least yearly. Maybe twice a year.
Routine Maintenance saves dollars, and lives. I may not have learned much in the Navy, but that was drilled into my head, and has saved me a lot of heartache.

'Nuther point: I am not going to choose my car/truck by whether or not it can be dragged behind an RV. And I want my car instantly available for use to shop or examine a campground to find a site I like without jumping through hookup hoops. Besides which my following driver can assist with lane changes on interstates when necessary. But that's me. YMMV

I like to have a second vehicle and driver along, exactly for that reason. But there are times when that isn't happening. And, we did pick our vehicle specifically because it could be towed flat. I just did not want the added complexity of a dolly. We have the Town car for when we are doing short range stuff, but Margo does not like those long, multi-day drives siting in a car following me down the road. Been there, done that, says she.
And, as several people have pointed out, with a good flat tow rig, you can have the toad free and clear in a matter of minutes.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

“All I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.” -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

Dan23

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2020, 04:41:34 AM »
The posts above claiming it takes more gas to drive the extra vehicle separately than towed are correct. But I still prefer having the vehicle separate.

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2020, 08:30:52 PM »
The posts above claiming it takes more gas to drive the extra vehicle separately than towed are correct. But I still prefer having the vehicle separate.

To each his own, I reckon. We've made a few short weekend runs without the Toad, and our mileage was around 9-10 MPG.
When made our summer trip, with toad along, we averaged 8-9 MPG.
The Toad gets around 28 MPG.
Looking at our Summer trip,
Driving without the toad would have saved us 60 gallons (about 150 bucks) on the Rig.
The Toad would have used 190 gallons (about 480 bucks)
So, and extra $330. In itself not a huge extra cost.
If you have two people who like to drive all the time, not a big deal. Though if we did that, Margo would want to take the Lincoln. It does NOT get 28 MPG. OK, so an extra 600 bucks for the trip.
Still not a show-stopper.
We may try that on our spring trip.

2007 Saturn Vue

“All I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.” -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Phormer Phantom Phixer
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 05:14:39 AM »
Well, add in the facts that my wife has absolutely zero(less than zero, actually)interest in driving miles and miles by herself following me around and, I am one of those who really like spending time with my wife, and we'll tow.
Wally Crow
Retired 30+ year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53   "Kobayashi Maru"
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
FMCA F494768

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

billwild

• ---
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2020, 01:32:29 PM »
We made up a check list, one that is easy to follow and had big print. This seems to help. My wife would read it and I did the hook up work. We as well had a pro-tect-a-tow and it worked well.
2005 Carriage Cameo 5th. wheeler
2005 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2004 Honda CRV

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2020, 02:51:55 PM »
Well, add in the facts that my wife has absolutely zero(less than zero, actually)interest in driving miles and miles by herself following me around and, ...

That was kind of the response I got from the Mrs when I mentioned the idea.
So, I guess the Toad stays hooked.

2007 Saturn Vue

Dan23

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2020, 06:10:53 AM »
There was, for us, the time my wife following saw a sudden burst from under the RV. All I heard was a noise I thought I'd investigate the next time I stopped. From her vantage point she knew it was something to pull over immediately!! for. It was a blown out inner dual.

LarsMac, I don't know what point you're making relative to my comment. But that's okay.

Road Rats

• ---
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2020, 06:59:24 AM »
Most of the newer dollies have a "positive lube system" or an "easy lube system". This is basically a grease fitting on the end of the axle that allows grease to be pumped through the center of the axle, behind the rear bearing but in front of the seal. When grease is pumped in, it displaces all old grease, passes through both bearings and exits out the front where you are pumping the new grease in. This system allows for a complete replacement of bearing grease without removing the hub and repacking! Never pack those bearings again, ever.... At most, you may want to adjust the nut on the hub if it gets lose from wear, but technically this should not happen.
Don & Sheila

2020 Thor Quantum 29' Class C
On 2019 Ford E450 Cutaway
With 1965 Wife and Naviguessor
Flat towing a 2020 Jeep Cherokee   - or -
Trailing a 2019 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

"Heading to a town near you very soon"

X-Roughneck

• ---
  • 2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2020, 08:01:43 AM »
Most of the newer dollies have a "positive lube system" or an "easy lube system". This is basically a grease fitting on the end of the axle that allows grease to be pumped through the center of the axle, behind the rear bearing but in front of the seal. When grease is pumped in, it displaces all old grease, passes through both bearings and exits out the front where you are pumping the new grease in. This system allows for a complete replacement of bearing grease without removing the hub and repacking! Never pack those bearings again, ever.... At most, you may want to adjust the nut on the hub if it gets lose from wear, but technically this should not happen.

Agreed 100% with you RR,

Here is my reply on email from Stehl Tow, Customer Service.  I purchased a 2019 Stehl Tow with Surge Brake.

Stehl's Reply "These are EZ Lube hubs so yep all you need is to grease from that zert under the dust cap and rubber fitting. You shouldn't be able to blow out the seal, just pump until you see grease".

2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
Stehl Tow Dolly / Mazda CX-5.

Certified Oil Field Trash / Roughneck (5 yr)
Retired Army (20 yr)
Retired Army Civilian (10 yr)

Only Lessons I never forgot, Were taught by my parents, or a Dog.

A Traveler

• ---
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2020, 09:20:48 PM »
...Besides which my following driver can assist with lane changes on interstates when necessary...

If you need that kind of assistance when driving on the interstate, you shouldn’t be driving on the interstate.

Besides, they whole point of traveling in a motor home is so we can travel TOGETHER! You’re going to make your DW drive another vehicle all day just so you can save five minutes unhooking at some campground? Sorry...that’s just nuts.

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2020, 10:46:36 PM »
If you need that kind of assistance when driving on the interstate, you shouldn’t be driving on the interstate.

Besides, they whole point of traveling in a motor home is so we can travel TOGETHER! You’re going to make your DW drive another vehicle all day just so you can save five minutes unhooking at some campground? Sorry...that’s just nuts.

Whoa! That seems just a bit harsh. For one, another pair of eyes never hurts-- in any circumstance. And what's "just nuts" to you, might well be a perfect method of operation for others!
Wandering in our 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C Class A

k9cop

• ---
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2020, 07:34:29 AM »
It takes me longer to get the transfer case on the jeep to neutral than to hookup the rest of the items. :P

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2020, 09:14:46 AM »

This forum is all about sharing ideas. I have driven all types and sizes of RV's, and also emergency vehicles for 25 years. There are times when having a "tail gunner"would have been nice to assist in lane changes.  Like any place around New Jersey or New York.......
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2020, 09:42:15 AM »

LarsMac, I don't know what point you're making relative to my comment. But that's okay.

I was simply exploring the costs of driving vehicles separately, rather than towing. And also the reaction the Mrs had to the idea.

2007 Saturn Vue

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2020, 06:44:31 PM »
I get a kick out of guys who put on work gloves to hook up their toad. While they're at it let's outfit them with an American Bridge belt, spud wrenches, a sleever bar, 4 pound beater and a couple of bull pins.

I've been known to use a beater and a pry bar from time to time. Gloves are a must when disconnecting since that diesel will have the tow bar too hot to handle.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2020, 08:43:57 PM »
Whoa! That seems just a bit harsh. For one, another pair of eyes never hurts-- in any circumstance. And what's "just nuts" to you, might well be a perfect method of operation for others!
X2
2007 Saturn Vue

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2020, 08:01:44 AM »
  I've been known to use a beater and a pry bar from time to time. Gloves are a must when disconnecting since that diesel will have the tow bar too hot to handle.
Thankfully I never have to use tools to disconnect my Blue Ox. And I do wear gloves, but not because of heat -- I don't have your heating problem -- it's because my hands need protection, and not just from the dirt, though that's a factor, but from abrasions that wouldn't have bothered me (or even happened) a few years back.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2020, 08:53:12 AM »
Thankfully I never have to use tools to disconnect my Blue Ox. And I do wear gloves, but not because of heat -- I don't have your heating problem -- it's because my hands need protection, and not just from the dirt, though that's a factor, but from abrasions that wouldn't have bothered me (or even happened) a few years back.

I try not to engage in tasks that require gloves other than maybe staining furniture which I wear nitrile gloves.
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2020, 12:11:54 PM »
I try not to engage in tasks that require gloves other than maybe staining furniture which I wear nitrile gloves.
When you have hands that turn raw at a glance, and get scratches that take weeks to heal without ever noticing what happened, that limits your tasks rather sharply.

So if yuou need gloves use them. If you don't need them, then don't use them.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2020, 01:20:42 PM »
Folks get a bit testy if you say you don’t wear gloves. My doctor and my dentist wear gloves. Glad of that. I don’t think the folks that don’t regularly wear gloves are attacking the manhood of those that don’t.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2020, 05:57:16 PM »
I wish I could wear gloves. I can't find gloves that are large enough and I'm always getting cuts, scratches and bruises. I'm 76 and my skin is getting delicate.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2020, 07:59:56 PM »
I wish I could wear gloves. I can't find gloves that are large enough and I'm always getting cuts, scratches and bruises. I'm 76 and my skin is getting delicate.

And another problem is finding gloves you can actually do work with. I have a hard time dealing with little bolts, nuts, screws, etc. Wearing gloves and makes it impossible for me.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2020, 08:48:42 PM »
And another problem is finding gloves you can actually do work with. I have a hard time dealing with little bolts, nuts, screws, etc. Wearing gloves and makes it impossible for me.

It's fascinating, and quite entertaining how a thread initially about connecting a tow vehicle can evolve into a prolonged discussion about wearing gloves with some pretty firm opinions on both sides of the issue.  ;D

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2020, 09:11:53 PM »
It's fascinating, and quite entertaining how a thread initially about connecting a tow vehicle can evolve into a prolonged discussion about wearing gloves with some pretty firm opinions on both sides of the issue.  ;D

You should always wear gloves when handling a toad. They are known to pee on folks.  8)
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2020, 11:22:26 PM »
The technical term that is "thread drift".
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Dan23

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2020, 06:17:38 AM »
This forum is all about sharing ideas. I have driven all types and sizes of RV's, and also emergency vehicles for 25 years. There are times when having a "tail gunner"would have been nice to assist in lane changes.  Like any place around New Jersey or New York.......

ANY interstate with heavy traffic running at higher speeds and multiple interchanges can be nice spots to have someone in a smaller vehicle slip into a spot behind the RV to gain some room for the RV's merge. It is not only easier but a lot safer.

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
The technical term that is "thread drift".

Indeed. I've never quite understood why some people seem to get irritated when a post wanders off from the original topic. I've always thought of forums to be like any other face-to-face conversation where folks will be yakking on and on about one thing or another, then someone walks in with a different spin or different topic altogether and the conversation shifts. No big deal...

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2020, 10:23:10 AM »
You should always wear gloves when handling a toad. They are known to pee on folks.  8)

YIKES!!  :o I had completely forgotten about that very present danger. Thanks so much for reminding myself and everyone reading this! It's very likely that you have saved many from that kind of uncomfortable situation.