Winter screen room or alternative suggestion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TwinMama

I?m hoping this is the right place to post this question, but if not please feel free to point me in the right direction ? Ok so here is my situation. My husband career is such that he is constantly on the road. He also is usually in the middle of nowhere so he decided to buy a fifth wheel. To keep on his companies budget he went with a 1 bedroom with 2 slides that is about 32 feet I believe. Well, hindsight is always 20/20 and about 3 weeks after buying this he is realizing something this small is going to be a massive challenge for me and our two young children to go with him ever. I know trading it in is a no go, so for the next 9 months we are just going to make due and then upgrade. In the meantime though I need to find solutions so that we can at least visit for a week without going crazy.
My first thought was to get a screen room. That would allow enough space to be a ?playroom? so the kids could still have larger toys out and move around a bit. Unfortunately there are zero parks, daycares, or anything of that nature in the places we will be going and this next one that he will be at for at least two months has pretty cold weather. They average a little over a foot of snow a year according to the weather network. Am I correct in assuming the screen rooms I see online are like a tent and would just collapse under the weight of any snow? If so, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that might work as a temporary portable playroom? I hate the thought of my kids going months without seeing their dad ? so we are willing to try whatever and spend the extra.
Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, suggestions, ideas etc.

I don't know of any add-on room or RV awning that could be expected to stand up to snowfall. Or would be even close to comfortable in winter weather (the RV itself isn't that great!).  Most of them are designed to fit under the RV awning and typically have roll-up or zip-up cloth privacy shades over screens. Not exactly cold weather gear!  Might make an ok play area during sunny days, though.  Here is a typical one:

https://www.shadepro.net/product/limited-add-a-room/

Here is an overview article that may assist you. I think the prices they give are low though - a decent add-a-room probably runs more like $750 than the $200-$500 stated in the article.

https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-awning-screen-room-read-buying-one/

Look at a Clam shelter. If you only get a couple of inches of snow at a time, it will stand up fine. If the forecast is for more, you can collapse it pretty easily. Buy a patio heater that uses a refillable propane heater, and make sure you put up the optional ?rain panels? which keep heat in fairly well. We used one in 30-35 degree weather and kept a group of adults warm enough they shed their outer layer, though not the inner fleece layer. Put down a patio rug too so the kids don?t get too dirty. This system can definitely use propane if it is really cold, but it does work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom