Fuel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ste1148watt

Have an Itasca MH which is almost impossible to fill fuel tank.  Last 20 gallons or so takes forever because you have fill slowly to avoid back splash.  Apparently this is a common problem with these model Motorhomes.  Finally decided to contact Freightliner customer service............they're response  "you have the option to replace fuel tank and fillers at your expense".  Fix their problem at my expense.  Now, that's what I call customer service. 

This is common with many different motorhome brands and models.  The problem is created when the fuel filler tube is installed and there is a dip in the tube between the fill port and where the fill hose connects onto the tank inlet.

The simple fix that I have used several times is to get a piece of iron, I used a 4' piece of 1/2" rebar and using 4-5 hose clamps, clamp the rebar to the bottom of the rubber fill tube. This will effectively take out the dip in the filler tube and allow the fuel to flow smoothly into the tank with a lot less foaming and back up.  The whole fix cost me less than $10 and 20 minutes of my time. 

ste1148watt said:
Have an Itasca MH which is almost impossible to fill fuel tank.  Last 20 gallons or so takes forever because you have fill slowly to avoid back splash.  Apparently this is a common problem with these model Motorhomes.  Finally decided to contact Freightliner customer service............they're response  "you have the option to replace fuel tank and fillers at your expense".  Fix their problem at my expense.  Now, that's what I call customer service.
I'm assuming you have a Horizon. The fuel tank supplier (forgot who) placed the vent nipple below the fill opening - this was clearly a Freightliner screw up. If you complained enough, Freightliner would supply a new tank or maybe labor - I forgot which. When I first started complaining, Winnebago gave me two new 'improved' filler necks which didn't solve the problem.

With the new tank and filler neck, I can fill up at a truck pump at full speed. If you go to my RV page in my signature , I have an article about my initial solution. It's just a simple wooden wedge so you can trickle fuel into the badly designed fuel tank.

Freightliner and Winnebago should have done the right thing at the onset and notify all owners about the fuel tank issue but they wanted to avoid any expense. News of the problem was passed on from owner to owner - that's how I found out.

Shame on Freightliner and Winnebago  :)(.

I have a 2004 Horizon and it was just like you are describing.  I had Gafney replace my tank and it did solve my problem but it did cost me $3000.00.  It does piss me off that they take no responsibility for this.  This should have been a federal mandated safety recall.

heatinh man said:
...  This should have been a federal mandated safety recall.
I wish but this really isn't a safety issue, it's a mega annoyance. Freightliner was helping for maybe three years or so after sale but then they washed their hands of the problem. Same mega annoyance with the information display, the early displays weren't visible in any kind of light - again another badly designed vendor product. I had to pay $nn (forgot) for a new improved display. Improved meant I could actually see it.

If I was shopping for a new unit, I would seriously consider Spartan as first choice for a chassis.

I agree, Spartan would be my first choice.  I would never have another Freightliner because of their attitude.

I'm sympathetic, but Spartan has their share of sub-par components and design decisions  as well.  Nor do they fix things for free out-of-warranty unless there is an actual safety recall.

John Canfield said:
I wish but this really isn't a safety issue, it's a mega annoyance. Freightliner was helping for maybe three years or so after sale but then they washed their hands of the problem. Same mega annoyance with the information display, the early displays weren't visible in any kind of light - again another badly designed vendor product. I had to pay $nn (forgot) for a new improved display. Improved meant I could actually see it.

If I was shopping for a new unit, I would seriously consider Spartan as first choice for a chassis.
I think it is a safety issue when you are trying to get the tank full it is very easy for the fuel to back up and spray out on the ground and on the person filling the tank.  I call that a safety issue.

edit by staff - fixed quote block

Its happened to me more than once even knowing about it.  I even carry cat litter with me so I can clean up after the mess.  I'm surprised lawyers haven't gotten involved , or maybe they have been. 

I tried that too.  Same result .  If you're not careful diesel will splash out on that side too.  Its a horrible design.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom