ELECTRIC HELP PLEASE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toynoob

Day 1 here and I hope someone can steer me right.

I have 50 amp 4 prong outside outlet with weather proof box I mounted. I have 6 gauge romex (3 wire) i wanted to run to a 50 amp main box. Then from there to a subpanel with 8 circuit slots.

I have the square D QO 100 amp 8 circuit box from home depot as my "sub panel". I do not have the "main" 50 amp box yet. I also am not sure how to go about hooking the mail to the sub. Should I also use a 50 amp breaker in the subpanel? or is that just overkill. Both panels will be side by side.

What is a good 50 amp panel I should get? All i see in stores is "hot tub" 70 amp outdoor choices.

PLEASE DIRECT ME, i been researching on youtube for days and keep getting frustrated

a little i guess. so should i just skip a "main" and use a 50 amp breaker as my main in the subpanel?

I have 50 amp 4 prong outside outlet with weather proof box I mounted. I have 6 gauge romex (3 wire) i wanted to run to a 50 amp main box. Then from there to a subpanel with 8 circuit slots.
I'm a bit confused. What does the subpanel power if the 50A outlet is wired direct to the main?  And how can you expect to feed a 100A subpanel if the main is only 50A?  Did you perhaps explain your intention wrong?      Regardless of whether the outlet gets its power from main or sub, the outlet should be fed with 6 gauge wire and a 50A breaker at the source.
As for the sub, you need to follow the local electrical code, but I always use a breaker in the main to feed any subpanel.  If the sub is a 100A panel, it should be fed from a 100A breaker in the main and the wiring a large enough gauge for 100A service. The sub also has a 100A breaker as its main. Maybe a bit of overkill if the panels are side-by-side and the wire distance only 3-4 ft, but it's the right way to manage power safely.

A better solution is to use a 50A RV power panel for the outlet. An RV panel is a sub and has breakers as well as the outlets (typically a 50A, a 30A, and a pair of 20A). Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/TL137US-Temporary-Receptacle-Installed-Unmetered/dp/B00A8FQUYW

Edited:

You need to call an electrician. You know just enough to get yourself in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom