Looking at replacement power converters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D

Dan23

It would appear that the following link is my best choice for a replacement converter. The link is Progressive Industries, which built the plug-in unit I use between the park electrical supply and my unit's electrical  system.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/inteli-power-4600-series/#specifications

One line of the specifications from the link puzzles me. "Storage Temperature 20-80C"

Does that mean the converter does not want to be stored at less than 20 C.?

Dan, those are two different companies. Progressive Dynamics and Progressive Industries.  Both make excellent products.
Sorry, I can't answer your question about temperature.

One line of the specifications from the link puzzles me. "Storage Temperature  20-80C"

Does that mean the converter does not want to be stored at less than 20 C.?
Yeap, that's what the statement means.  However, I'm pretty sure it's a typo. The other PD products, e.g. the 91xx and 92xx series, show a storage temperature of -20 C to +80 C. A huge difference, of course!

A converter that couldn't withstand storage at less than 20 C (68 F) would be useless.

Charles and Gary, thank you for the replies.

Minus 20C is still only minus 4 F.

The link in the original post... If you are replacing the converter portion of a combined converter/power distribution panel  my #1 with a fuse pick.. For stand alone (Deck mount) the 9200 (dongle optional)  or the 9100 with optional Wizard.

If you want the best and if you want MADE IN THE USA (Marshall, Mi) that's it.

Progressive industries (The other progressive) makes the best Surge Protectors  the HW-50(or 30 depending on your rig) C EMS.

I have a 9180+ wizard (my 2nd)  I went with the TRC/Southwirfe Surge Guard due to one heck of a sale price  (I can afford to replace it if I have to as it was half the price of the lifetime warranted PI unit)

I recommend those too.  (Surge guard or EMS with the PI product being #1.)

Minus 20C is still only minus 4 F.
Indeed, but that is a common low limit for storage of any consumer electronics. Odds are your LCD tv and most anything with a circuit board have a safe storage range like that. It's broad enough for common use and the engineers have no motivation to push the stated limits beyond that.  They aren't saying the device will fail if the temp goes below -4 F;  they are just saying they won't accept a warranty claim beyond that point

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Indeed, but that is a common low limit for storage of any consumer electronics. Odds are your LCD tv and most anything with a circuit board have a safe storage range like that. It's broad enough for common use and the engineers have no motivation to push the stated limits beyond that.  They aren't saying the device will fail if the temp goes below -4 F;  they are just saying they won't accept a warranty claim beyond that point

Thanks. A lot of electronics are stored a lower temps and still work. I've decided to wait on replacing me RV's converter/charger since as the way I use the RV the batteries seem to hold up okay. The things I run in the RV that are 12v, plus regular storage, must in total be acceptable for the batteries. This is the first time I've had to store it for an extended period in cold weather. I have looked at the cost of the replacement converter. So, around $200... but I expect the link below means I will use my existing power distribution panel? IOWs just the working guts would be replaced.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD4645V-Inteli-Power-Converter/dp/B002OR2FIW

I have seen electronics go down to -40 (your choice of C or F) and die. then return to life at just a few degrees warmer and work for several years. My own Progressive Dynamics converter got down to -6 if not colder  (I truly do not know. Detroit Mi Winters) but in Detroit it was live so it was warmer. the -6 was on the road no power to it so it was indeed -6

I'd not worry about cold STORAGE.. Plugging it in at those temps might not be such a good plan (let it warm first).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom