rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Tow dolly for 2013 Kia Soul  (Read 432 times)

Carin

• ---
  • what a wonderful life
Tow dolly for 2013 Kia Soul
« on: January 12, 2020, 06:59:54 PM »
I need recommendations/advice on brand and part number for a tow dolly to tow my 2013 Kia Soul. 
It cannot be flat towed. I have a 2017 Forest River Forester. After looking online I am more confused.
Used? New? Ease of use? Anything.......

Thank you!

Carin
(Toby and Lucy)
2017 Forest River Forester 3151DS
2013 Kia Soul
Carin
2 doggies - Toby & Lucy
2017 Forest River Forester 3171DS
2013 Kia Soul

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
Re: Tow dolly for 2013 Kia Soul
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 08:08:41 PM »
I am NOT a dolly expert.  My opinion from what I have read here is there is not a lot of difference in quality. 
Some are fixed wheel plate, requiring the steering be UNlocked on the Toad.  Some are moving, or rotating wheel plate, requiring the steering be locked or tied in place on the toad.
You will want one with brakes, usually surge brakes.
Having a hitch on the toad makes it easy to move the dolly around the campground once you are unhitched.
In my opinion, lights are optional since the dolly will have lights and the Soul is a fairly short vehicle.

Break your search into small pieces and it may go better.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 08:54:19 PM »
It might be easier to go to a trailer sales place and look at what they have available. Even if you decide to buy a used one, at least you will be more educated. Mine has the rotating plate. I personally think they are better than ones that don't have one. The car will pivot when you turn, which I think is easier on the car. My dolly also has a hinge at mid point that allows the rear of the dolly to tilt down. This is easier than having to deal with ramps like other kinds have. My dolly has surge brakes, which don't require anything special to hook up or operate. They operate off the force exerted on the tongue when the rv brakes. Electric brakes are also available, but need something to tell the brakes to come on. Lastly, my dolly has  fairly high blocks that the front tires butt up to when loaded. My car has a spoiler on the front, so I have to put a couple 2x6s on the ramps so that the front will clear the blocks. Perhaps you can get ones with lower blocks, but then you run the risk of driving off the front of the dolly. Lastly, I have installed a foldable wheel on the front of my dolly to make it easy to move around by myself. I have the exact same dolly as the one in this video from The Motorhome Experiment. He demonstrates how to load the car as well. His car is higher than mine, and doesn't have any front clearance issues. Im not sure about your kia. My car is a Toyota Matrix. Once you get used to them, the dolly is easy to operate. Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boilt5TT428

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 08:11:21 AM »
As others have said, the dolly brands are more alike than different and they all work.  Brakes on the dolly are strongly recommended and you can choose electric or surge hydraulic (already discussed above).  Running lights on the dolly are required in most states, so not an option.  The plates (aka "wheel tables") the front car wheels rest on can be fixed or swiveling; swivel is considered better but fixed is ok as long as the proper  procedures are followed (car steering wheel unlocked).    Some dollies may offer steerable dolly wheels, but that's gilding the lily [in my opinion]. The weight carrying capacity of the dolly is not a concern with the light Kia Soul, but you may want to carry a heavier vehicle in the future,. Even so, 3500-4000 lbs is plenty (it only carries the front half of the vehicle weight).

Master Tow and Stehl make good quality tow dollys and are popular. American is little less in price but has fixed wheel tables instead of swivel. EZ Tow and Roadmaster are ok too. Demco (Kar Kaddy) is an nice upscale model that goes beyond the basics but riced higher too.

I recommend a wheeled tongue jack on the dolly to make it easier to move around by hand when needed. A trailer hitch on the Kia is also a good idea in case you want to move the dolly to a storage area in the campground (some place may require that).

You can usually find a used dolly if you shop around on local online markets (Facebook, Offer Up, Craigslist, etc). There isn't much to wear out on a dolly, so even an old one is often a good deal.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Carin

• ---
  • what a wonderful life
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 04:37:47 PM »
Thank you all for the advice.  Most helpful.  Especially the little tidbits.  Thank you 😊😊

Carin
2013 Kia Soul
+ tow dolly to be purchased.......
Carin
2 doggies - Toby & Lucy
2013 Kia Soul