KZ or Apex Nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlmgcamp

Looking to trade in the pop-up and go for hard side.  Mostly just the wife and me. but would like ability to take guests.  Looking at KZ 191BH and Apex Nano 19*3BHS.  Floorplans are very similar.  Apex is a little heavier.  Any comments?

We have had a 2016 KZ 19bhs Sportsmen for a little over four years.  We bought it new and it has never been back to the dealer for anything.  Everything still works and the only repair I have had to make was to replace the screws on the hinge that lifts up to allow access to the pass thru storage under the bed.  I think they pulled out the first time we used it.  We want something bigger so we are in the process of trading it in.  I would certainly consider another KZ, but the dealership we bought it from has changed hands and dropped the KZ line. 

I do not have insight on the campers, but if you plan to use your 2014 4Runner make sure you check your specs.  Hard sides are a whole lot different pulling through the wind than a pop-up. 

I have a KZ Sportsmen 5th wheel231RK. My first RV. I love it. The misses and I looked at numerous campers. I wanted to know what she wanted out of it. I had a list of requirements and internet shopping I went. When I found suitable models we made a few road trips to see them in person. I finally pulled the trigger on a Saturday morning. I was in camp sleeping in a tent with my son and grandsons. Friday night the temps never dropped below 80 all night. I work up and thought, this is the last time I'm sleeping in my own sweat. 50 years of tenting, I'm done. I called the dealer the next morning, negotiate the price over the phone, and picked it up the following weekend. I camp March when the temps bust 30 degrees to the end of November.

My point, figure out what you each want out of the unit and go shopping.

The 4runner is rated for 4700 lbs.  The KZ Grosses 4300 and the Apex grosses 4700.  I believe I am OK there.  Like I said, generally the 2 of us so loads should be light.

You are very close to or a bit over capacity with a 4700# load.  I will explain below.  However, you HAVE the 4 Runner, so I would give it a try before upgrading.  The truck will not disintegrate if you are 50# overweight, but you may not like how it handles.

The 4700# tow rating assumes a load of bricks on a flatbed trailer.  It allows for one 150 lb driver (2014 0r older) or 2 150 lb passengers (2015 and newer), NO other cargo in the 4Runner, and a full fuel tank.  For American models, it must be reduced by the weight of all optional equipment above the bare bones base model.  Toyota may be better at real values.  Remember the drag from that huge frontal area as well.

Good Luck!

We have a 2018 Apex Nano 193BHS.  We like it, but we have a couple of issues with it.  There is no counter space, so I made a removable plexiglass cover for one side of the sink and another cover that fits over the stove to provide some counter space.  Second, there isn't much room between the bathroom stool and bathroom door.  Third, I replaced the Chinese tires with Goodyear Endurance trailer tires.  The actual Cargo Carrying Capacity printed on the sticker on the side of the trailer is 863 lbs. which is somewhat lower than the advertised CCC. I pull it with a 5.0 Ford F-150 and it pulls really well without a WDH.

I have a two year old 21ft  KZ Connect that has had its share of problems.  We're currently replacing the 2nd fresh water tank because the suspension is weak and the axle has only 2-3 inches of travel between it and the tank.  My dealer is going to replace the springs to get it a bit higher.  Also our refrigerator has failed twice, the latest on a long distance trip which we cut short because of it.  I'm not impressed with the Connect.  It seems as though everything is cheaply made.  We've done countless modifications to compensate for things that should have been included in its design.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom