Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: floor, main frame hump  (Read 2797 times)

Lynx0849

• ---
Re: floor, main frame hump
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2020, 12:57:22 PM »
Oh, in the letter to the CEO, enclose copies of all the photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back.

CEOs do not like unhappy customers spreading negative reviews.

A big Manila envelope will get to him. It is very likely he is not aware of your issue. The underlings will be keeping it from him.
Rob & Deryl, Nettle, Tigger & Mai
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap
14 V nose utility trailer as mini toy hauler (for now)
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)

Boat Addict

• ---
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2020, 06:56:01 AM »
Oh, in the letter to the CEO, enclose copies of all the photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back.

CEOs do not like unhappy customers spreading negative reviews.

A big Manila envelope will get to him. It is very likely he is not aware of your issue. The underlings will be keeping it from him.

Currently under the climate that exists in the country the family at Winnebago has more important things to deal with , like survival and keeping a large number of people and their families employed.  Personally I have witnessed numerous downturns over many decades across the pleasure sector of the economy. Thankfully this gives me a more respected point of view , of course IMHO to know not jump to any ridiculous and meaningless attempts which will not yield fruit in any  meaningful way.  All I want is a workable camper and to be able to enjoy it. Its being worked on and I will wait to form any further judgment until I am able to experience the results. Thank you.
If you are afraid to live your life because you may die, you have already died."
2018 2401 RG Minnie  travel trailer

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2020, 07:27:28 AM »
That's a kind and gentle perspective  :)).

Winnebago survived the 2008 downturn because they had very little debt to service but it was still a very difficult time for them. Lots of the production people were laid off and it took a few years for them to claw back to normal operation. In the last five years or so Winnebago took on a huge load of debt when they bought Grand Design. I hope they can survive this.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2020, 08:09:37 AM »
Great attitude. Current situation puts other things in perspective. You deserve a good outcome, hope you get one.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til who knows....

Boat Addict

• ---
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2020, 02:20:13 PM »
Well all the hope,  effort and expense did not put Winnie back together correctly again. Yes it was approved to be acceptable and operational.  But since travel to the factory was next to impossible, it got delivered back, yes  in the same condition, with an ever expanded hump towards the middle of the floor between the two main beams.  The slide does work, but its like walking on an expanded mole in your yard, if anyone is familiar with those  critters. And the readily available communication has dropped off.
If you are afraid to live your life because you may die, you have already died."

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2020, 02:52:59 PM »
Well all the hope,  effort and expense did not put Winnie back together correctly again. Yes it was approved to be acceptable and operational.  But since travel to the factory was next to impossible, it got delivered back, yes  in the same condition, with an ever expanded hump towards the middle of the floor between the two main beams.  The slide does work, but its like walking on an expanded mole in your yard, if anyone is familiar with those  critters. And the readily available communication has dropped off.

You seem remarkably calm given the situation, kudos. Sorry for what sounds like could be a huge writeoff, or given your skills, a huge job that shouldn't be yours.
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Boat Addict

• ---
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2020, 03:22:53 PM »

You seem remarkably calm given the situation, kudos. Sorry for what sounds like could be a huge writeoff, or given your skills, a huge job that shouldn't be yours.

There is not much I can do. I had hoped to be able to go to the factory and go over the work. But travel right now is just too much to deal with. But now they will not respond to my follow up emails. Yes most of the office people are now working from home. But they have been very responsive on a timely basis. So I take it that they have more important things to deal with, or at least that's my thoughts anyway.

They could have just sent a new one for what they have in this, not withstanding the aggravation that I have endured. In the beginning I had to personally go to the cargo door manufacturers to get new doors that was leaking water inside the camper. Thankfully I am very attentive to all the working parts and caught it before the water destroyed my front bedding area. This has really been a nightmare that does not seem to be going away.  And coupled with a lot of the management staff are not working in house now. So you really can't get ahold of anyone up the food chain now. It is starting to look like what I have now is what I get, take it or leave it. Sucks, at least I am not dealing with a 100 grand or more motor home. And now all I can do is just look at it now.

If I could figure out how to cut the floor up and see what is going on, and even replace something and get the floor down without it looking like a patch job I would do it. Of course it shouldn't have to be that way.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2020, 04:57:06 PM »
Maybe it's a good thing that lawyers are considered an "essential business" in most places.  :(
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2020, 05:02:56 PM »
If I could figure out how to cut the floor up and see what is going on, and even replace something and get the floor down without it looking like a patch job I would do it.

We've seen you convert a center console, should be a piece of cake  :)
Scott
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Boat Addict

• ---
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2020, 05:14:48 PM »
LOL, I am pretty confident that I can  do just about anything  with a skill saw and a 12,000 rpm grinder. ;D I can make you a new set of dentures too with my epoxy .   :)) But sadly I would need to remove the entire slide to work in the area that I need to get to from the top and then lay down new flooring.  The axles are below this area. So this makes it next to impossible to inspect from the underside, coupled with the tanks in that area too.  But how can the plywood be so humped up length ways, since I would think that the plywood is run across the width of the unit. If that is so, this takes quite force targeted in such a short area of around six feet.  And to think someone would look at that area and walk on it and say,  that's fixed correctly. This boggles my pea brain anyway.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:17:01 PM by Boat Addict »

Boat Addict

• ---
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2020, 03:37:57 PM »
Looking things over after the 3,000 mile round trip, in addition to the floor humping up further to the middle,  it looks like the curb side has also done the same thing in the dinette front, even with no slide to increase the targeted area weight. There is twisting going on by the looks of things. The outside of the main frame floor on the curb side and dropped too.  But I think that things being the way it is that both the dealer and factory has probably washed their hands of it. I have still not heard anything else back from anyone.

So I will probably wait and see what happens in the country in the next couple of months. And if things open up enough for people to travel, and they are still operating the service section , we may still do part of our trip and be up that way and go by just to see if I can resolve this escalating problem. Hope it does not fall apart in the road. ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:42:25 PM by Boat Addict »

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »
Hope it does not fall apart in the road. ;)

Perhaps one of those signs on the back that the gravel trucks have: "stay back 250 feet, not responsible for damage"  ;)
Scott
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Boat Addict

• ---
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2020, 04:14:16 PM »

Perhaps one of those signs on the back that the gravel trucks have: "stay back 250 feet, not responsible for damage"  ;)
:)Good idea, I have no idea how and why both side walls have settled, when looking at the floor. This appears to be the reason why the middle of the floor is humped up..  I am going to look a bit closer at the door jams and the top of the bathroom component , which is in the middle of the camper to see if there are any compression areas, or even the thin veneer splintering at the tops.

X-Roughneck

• ---
  • 2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2020, 05:54:40 AM »
BA,

It bet it has to be welded slightly out of square coming off the MFG line? Then they build the Particle Board house on top of that.  Those things coupled with lightweight metal and potholes I bet that is where the destructive torque is coming from.  Get you some X measurements to check square, or examine the frame for a busted weld or.... maybe they forgot to weld it at beer thirty on FRI?   :-\

JD

2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2013 Jeep

Certified Oil Field Trash / Roughneck (5 yr)
Retired Army (20 yr)
Retired Army Civilian (10 yr)

Only Lessons I never forgot, Were taught by my parents, or a Dog.

John/JD

Boat Addict

• ---
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2020, 07:10:38 AM »
BA,

It bet it has to be welded slightly out of square coming off the MFG line? Then they build the Particle Board house on top of that.  Those things coupled with lightweight metal and potholes I bet that is where the destructive torque is coming from.  Get you some X measurements to check square, or examine the frame for a busted weld or.... maybe they forgot to weld it at beer thirty on FRI?   :-\

JD

I am not sure if the floor is particle board. I do know that the dinette and bed is good plywood.  But what gets me is that the factory took the camper back and that was a lot of effort and money. But it appears that from the inside at the kitchen cabinet bottom where the floor had pulled away from the unit and where water had entered from the slide area into the floor, the only thing that was done was to put molding along the bottom to hide the crack and water stains in conjunction with just adding a second outrigger along side of the factory one added in the original build. .

And now the floor hump has moved further out towards the middle now from the road side main frame. The only thing that I can conclude from that is possibly the curb side also now dropping from the dinette at the bottom pulling away from the floor and side wall.  Yes I type this as more of a frustration because I think I am on my own now with the factory being  shut down.  And I doubt they will take the camper back again even if they open up. I am beginning to believe they will let the clock run out on the warranty now. I hope I am proven wrong and I will continue to be patient as this issue plays out over the next month or so and I digest my next approach.

At the very least and down the road I may even take my big pump jacks and nudge the road side wall up and remove the molding at the cabinet and see what happens. I can unbolt the second outrigger from the outside of the main frame and test it. But right now I will wait it out. I am not going anywhere for sure right now.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 07:15:35 AM by Boat Addict »

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2020, 09:40:07 AM »
That's just not good enough in my opinion. You can see the water mark on your units too.

They need to stand up to their product. Hopefully they will still be around to do so.

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »
Winnebago is extending the warranty by two months because of the pandemic

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
605 watts of Solar
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Diesel AWD
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

Boat Addict

• ---
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2020, 11:53:39 AM »
Whether the warranty is extended or not, this could have been dealt with long before the country ended up to be shut down.  And the attempt to repair was a total waste of time and money. The outside wall and related floor angle from when the camper went to the service facility extending out from the main frame  was not dealt with before putting the two meaningless brackets along side.

I guess they figured that this would stop the further drop. But that's not a fix in any form.  One thing is for sure, both sides now are witnessing similar conditions, even though the curb side has not dropped quite as much.  But how much worse will this crap get? Needless to say there is no excuse for this . But  there is no real recourse right now and no communications in response to the follow up inquiries.

Heck I could have purchased a rotted out Airstream and been ahead of the game right now. The outside would be shiny like a fancy used car on a buy here pay here lot. :D

Boat Addict

• ---
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2020, 02:53:00 PM »
This will be my final post on this thread.  A service manager called today. He said that the hump was natural and within specs with many other units. He said that he signed off on it before the camper left the factory to be returned.  I say BS. We discussed the additional drop now on the curb side, which was supported by additional photos of course.  He wanted me to take it back to the dealer once again and let them confirm it.

I said I sent you photos and they are all time stamped. There is nothing else that needs to be confirmed. Of course with the country's shutdown, they did say that maybe in another six or eight weeks they would address this again. Well I plan on being on the road, good Lord willing then in something, even if its a covered wagon.

Now going on 8 months in some form dealing with getting this camper corrected and fine tuned has worn me down. I do not plan on spending a dime on other avenues  as its not really worth putting probably several thousands of dollars and time fighting this anymore. I am considering adding  a sign on the back of the unit with one big lemon on it if I get to do the trip this summer. If in the meantime I can sell it for best offer, then its going away.

Life is too short to be mommicked, a local saying.

[ mommick (third-person singular simple present mommicks, present participle mommicking, simple past and past participle mommicked) (dialectal, transitive)
To harass or bother (someone or something).

with something that's supposed to be fun. If I sound like I am PO, then yes you are correct.

Thanks for listening and reading.

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2020, 03:38:23 PM »
Sorry to hear it is turning out like this. Can't imagine a hump is in tolerance. Good luck traveling this summer. We are hoping things will clear up in time for summer camping.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
605 watts of Solar
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Diesel AWD
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2020, 03:46:44 PM »
I do not plan on spending a dime on other avenues  as its not really worth putting probably several thousands of dollars and time fighting this anymore.
I agree. Maybe time to start a Facebook campaign (aka "rant") or something similar. Would take some time but would cost nothing. It's amazing what companies will do when faced with bad press.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2020, 05:16:56 PM »
I still say a letter to the CEO explaining calmly what has happened with obvious copies to your and their State AG & BBB.

It is obvious to me that lower management is hiding this issue from upper management.
Rob & Deryl, Nettle, Tigger & Mai
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap
14 V nose utility trailer as mini toy hauler (for now)
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)

X-Roughneck

• ---
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2020, 07:38:49 AM »
This will be my final post on this thread.  A service manager called today. He said that the hump was natural and within specs with many other units.

I would send a registered letter, return Signature Receipt, to the President of Winnebago, with a Cover Memorandum page real short, with a "Shock and Awe" Statement.  Not a threat.

Showing the quote above from his Product Line MGR, with the caveat that that "In Specification Hump" he was referring to shifted your door frame, and allowed water to pour in your coach and Ruin it, while it was Under "Warranty"

I would let him know you bought Winnebago for the name and Historic Link to RVn where you thought you bought a Quality Product. I would see how it played out....

At least you can always do some unpaid advertising for WGO beyond their reply to you. I have no clue what you paid for it, but it is real money to some of us, I am sure.

...We Know they are all particle board, under-built, lightweight contraptions but..leave that part out. 

Encl-1 Initial Contact 1/1/19
Encl-2
Encl-3
Add Enclosures of all correspondence chronologically

Good Luck, Brother.

JD
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:17:01 AM by X-Roughneck »
2013 Jeep

Retired Army (20 yr)

John/JD

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2020, 07:40:47 AM »
This will be my final post on this thread.  A service manager called today. He said that the hump was natural and within specs with many other units. ....
While I realize you are ready to throw in the towel, any chance you can look at similar units and document their floors?

What the service manager said reminded me of the old British sitcom "Are You Being Served?" The scene was set in a British department store, the men tended to the men's clothing and the ladies took care of their ready to wear area.

One of the gags was a a guy being fitted for a suit which was obviously not the correct size. Typically the coat sleeves were too long but eager to make a sale they had to convince the customer the suit looked great. When the customer objected to the long sleeves the salesman would confidently state "No problem sir, the sleeves will ride up with wear."

And off they went.

Edit to comment below:
.......We Know they are all particle board, under-built, lightweight contraptions but..leave that part out. ...
Actually we don't know they have those attributes, that is an unfounded allegation. I would be amazed if their was any particle board in that unit. For one there's a tremendous weight penalty and it's quite weak compared to plywood. My Horizon is 100% particle board free.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:49:48 AM by John Canfield »
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2020, 12:09:24 PM »
Agree with John - I would be shocked if you found any particle board in the subfloor of that RV.   For practical reasons rather than altruistic ones, but true nonetheless.  It may be the cheapest plywood available, though.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2020, 12:57:08 PM »
Verified - there is no particle board in this unit.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

X-Roughneck

• ---
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2020, 03:44:37 PM »
LOL, 

What I should have said is built cheap as possible coming off the production line to turn a profit.   Cheap thin plywood (Not Particle Board) should have been my choice of words.

I will give you that if they were built real well and sturdy I would be complaining about my 2 MPG mileage.  ;D

I still Love my Winnebago!

JD
2013 Jeep

Retired Army (20 yr)

John/JD

Boat Addict

• ---
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2020, 09:19:47 PM »
I was not going to add anything else. But man oh man I want to scream!!!! A measly rain decided to run inside the front end of the slide. Yep, not dealing with the sagging floor while putting two outriggers on the sagging section outside the main frame further locking in the sag, water is running in from and thru the slight void that appears to have been generated by the space that's generated with the slide down a bit. Heaven only knows what shape the slide area will be in when I pull it anywhere. This is with the slide in. Its no telling what will happen with the slide out.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2020, 06:15:54 AM »
I wouldn't give up.

Boat Addict

• ---
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2020, 06:30:25 AM »
I wouldn't give up.

I did send a note up the food chain. But we find ourselves in a different time then probably a couple of months ago. So I am thinking that  my outcome to date is probably governed by that now.  Sadly it got bumped back down the line and nothing is going to get done right now and doubt if anything will happen in the future. I am just typing out of frustration for now. The workmanship in the repair is inexcusable for the effort to take it back. Ugggg