My Dumb TV is now Semi Smart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
X

X-Roughneck

More of a observation, but also wondering what others have done as upgrades.

I have a winnebago and the TVs that came with it 2 ea are Insignia, Dumb TV with an available HDMI out.  I plugged in a ROKU so I can watch You Tube etc while we are out If I can pull a WIFI signal where we are at.

I am going to go Google as my dedicated Hot Spot Service. I like their Plans.  Seilerbird gave me some info on my Hotspot topic in this section.

The TV is old and the resolution I think it 1080P max.  I plan on upgrading to Smart LED TV at least in the front. for better resolution and to get rid of the roku box.

My only real concern is don't get it too big for the space, which I think I might be able to graduate to a 43" from 41"

Is there anything I should be thinking about other than space and swing clearance?   

The problems with "Smart" tv's is they are 2-way when it comes to the internet.. What you have now (Dumb with Roko or what I have dumb with chrome cast (or a raspberry pi but that's involved) these are one way only... Nobody can "Spy" on my via the TV. Amazon, Google, et-al can't listen in to conservations or other sounds in the RV without permission. but they can on "Smart" voice operated devices.

Oh and as for the new higher resolution TV's.. What is the Resolution of your EYES?

John Are you implying Big Brother is watching?  My vision is 2020 Monday Morning Quarterbacking, that is.

John From Detroit said:
The problems with "Smart" tv's is they are 2-way when it comes to the internet.. What you have now (Dumb with Roko or what I have dumb with chrome cast (or a raspberry pi but that's involved) these are one way only... Nobody can "Spy" on my via the TV. Amazon, Google, et-al can't listen in to conservations or other sounds in the RV without permission. but they can on "Smart" voice operated devices.

My sentiments exactly. We never use any of the "smart" features in our main LR TV and have never had it connected to the Internet in any event. Rather we get all the functionality we want as far as streaming and the like via our TiVo box.

John From Detroit said:
Oh and as for the new higher resolution TV's.. What is the Resolution of your EYES?

You're saying you don't long for 8k streaming to your 32 inch TV screen??  :eek: ;D
I think it's a bit like audio in the sense that while many may desire (and pay for) maximum frequency ranges, all but the experienced audiophiles can really detect the difference. I've seen 1080P screens side by side with 4k and while if you look very close you might discern some differences, to my eyes the extra pixels are simply not worth the $$$.

Heck, I remember when we had a HUGE 32" Sony TV a few decades ago. Weighed around twelve hundred pounds and took a dozen beefy men to move the thing. But hey-- it was one of largest screens money could buy back then and cost a fortune. Seems times have changed a bit these days...

X-Roughneck said:
John Are you implying Big Brother is watching?  My vision is 2020 Monday Morning Quarterbacking, that is.
That's more than an "implication," it's a fact. The web is full of such stories, not to mention law suits and other things...

Anybody think Roku and Amazon, or any other streaming service IS NOT tracking your viewing preferences?

X-Roughneck said:

No not "Big Brother" (the government) but possibly several "Little Brothers" (teen or younger boys) and I think it's Amazon who ADMITTED to listening to Alexia audio feeds  So I'm not the one saying. .they plead guilty.

Yes, I know. I subscribe to SiriusXM and I got a free Alexa with it. It's still in the box. Anybody want it?
But my phone is listening all the time too. I could disable that. But it's really convenient to tell it to start a timer or ask a question and have the answer in the blink of an eye.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom