rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: RV Show  (Read 543 times)

MichaelInMA

• ---
RV Show
« on: January 26, 2020, 06:04:06 PM »
We went to the Boston RV show yesterday.  Very little is new.  Nothing really inspiring. 

The one new thing was rail that was put on the outside of many campers that held a griddle and sometimes a self.  I think is was black steel.  It was not the Camco one.  I think the name began with an S for the griddle.  I am surprised but I cannot seem to find it on the web.  Does anyone know what it is.

There did seem to be more 4 season campers.  One was only good to 30F which does not gain much.  Some others were good to 15F which is better but will still not work in New England.  I would think a true 4 season camper would be good to at least 0F or if I was in Canada somewhere in the minus numbers.

The other noticeable change was the number of e-bikes.  They were all well over $1000, many closer to $2000.  I think they will have come down a lot to really be popular.  I am guessing they need to be closer to $500.

One guy was trying to sell replacement camper batteries for $1000 each.  Big differences in cost depending on AH capacity.  You really need to shop around look at AH capacity.  Prices on the web vary a lot from place to place also.  I expect the price of these to drop considerably over the next few years.

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
Re: RV Show
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 08:41:18 PM »
Nice report.

I bought an e bike last month.  I'm sure the ones at the show started at $1000.  In my search, they start at closer to $600, but they lack many highly recommended features.

That battery guy only needs to sell a couple to have a good show!
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 10:18:53 PM »
We were also at the Boston show yesterday and Hartford on Friday.

I saw the Lifpr (spelling) battery display. I didnít look as I donít have an rv yet (1 more year).

We were looking for rear living, non bunkhouse 5th wheels suitable for a 9 month full time that had GVWRs of around 14k or less.
We saw several in the 34-38í size. Also several right at 15k.

We liked several of the Grand Design Reflections models. Loved the 357rls. The Grand Design Solitude was heavier and $25k more money but we did not really see that extra cost reflected in the unit.

Of the Forest River models we looked at, the cabinet hardware such as draw slides and closures were really shoddy. Too bad the dealer didnít care enough to fix so many of the obvious factory defects.

Next year we will be looking for a gently used GD357rls or similar.

Talking to some folks shopping for a replacement for their 5th wheel that was totaled buy a large tree, we learned to look closely at how windows opened. Many were casement style with a crank at the bottom and only opened a few inches. Desirable were ones that opened like storm windows where the whole lower pane lifted up revealing a large screened area. That knowledge was worth the cost of visiting both shows.

Funny thing were no hitch displays at either show. I think I want a manual slider that mounts to the factory pucks.

We will be going to the Springfield show in a couple of weeks.
Rob & Deryl, Nettle, Tigger & Mai
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap
14í V nose utility trailer as mini toy hauler (for now)
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 08:41:02 AM »
One guy was trying to sell replacement camper batteries for $1000 each.  Big differences in cost depending on AH capacity.  You really need to shop around look at AH capacity.  Prices on the web vary a lot from place to place also.  I expect the price of these to drop considerably over the next few years.

I suspect those were Lithium Ion batteries, if so $10 per amp-hour is a pretty typical price.  Li-Ion has many advantages over the lead acid batteries that have been traditionally used in RVs.

Talking to some folks shopping for a replacement for their 5th wheel that was totaled buy a large tree, we learned to look closely at how windows opened. Many were casement style with a crank at the bottom and only opened a few inches. Desirable were ones that opened like storm windows where the whole lower pane lifted up revealing a large screened area. That knowledge was worth the cost of visiting both shows.

The advantage of the casement style windows is you can leave them open to provide ventilation while it's raining, or if there's a chance of rain while you're away from the rig.  You can't do that with the slider windows unless they're under an awning to protect them.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:47:03 AM by Lou Schneider »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 11:10:10 AM »
Window manufacturers define casement windows as being hinged at the side, while awning windows are hinged at the top. Some awning windows open 60-70 degrees and allow good ventilation, but the so-called frameless windows the manufacturers are promoting these days have very small angles, often just 15-20 degrees. If you enjoy fresh (outside) air ventilation, you will need to turn on a vent fan, e.g. a Fantastic Vent, to draw air through them.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:12:06 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 07:27:12 AM »
Window manufacturers define casement windows as being hinged at the side, while awning windows are hinged at the top. Some awning windows open 60-70 degrees and allow good ventilation, but the so-called frameless windows the manufacturers are promoting these days have very small angles, often just 15-20 degrees. If you enjoy fresh (outside) air ventilation, you will need to turn on a vent fan, e.g. a Fantastic Vent, to draw air through them.

Thanks for pointing that out, Gary.  Casements are indeed hinged at either side.  Windows that hinge out from the top are called awnings.  I've attached a good guide.

Also, I've often wondered how much the newer frameless ones impede airflow.  We have sliders in our rig, and they allow a lot of air to pass through.  Seems to me that the frameless ones would be much more restricted.  Nice to have them open in the rain, but I think the airflow reduction would bug me.
JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a