Advice Needed - Purchased defective RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swindled

I?m am new RVing and just love it. I purchased a brand NEW 2019 RV in May. I noticed some surface rust underneath on the chassis. We agreed that I should use the RV for the camping season and return in the Fall to fix the chassis and any other things that I found. One was water damage on the inside frame of the slide. The dealer had the RV for 4 weeks and made the repairs. I noticed my door was still whistling as I drove down the road. I took it to my local dealer who within 2 hours uncovered a rotted entry step as well as lumpy linoleum on the upper deck bedroom/bath area and the lower deck kitchen area concluding significant water damage. My warranty is still good for 4 months. Between the local dealer and returning the RV to Indiana everything would be repaired. Of course, I would incur additional expenses making all of that happen. I can?t help but feel I swindled. I was under the impression that I bought a brand-new RV only to learn now that it was sold to me in this condition. I asked about returning it and a replacement but neither are not being presented as options. I?m going to consult with a lawyer. Does anyone have experience in this area?

If the dealer won't rectify it to your satisfaction then yes talk to a lawyer experienced in consumer law. The unit was obviously stored outside and not properly inspected before delivery.

All RV?s are defective; new and used. There is no such thing as quality control in the RV world. You might want to check the Lemon Laws in your state before contacting an attorney. I?ve only owned two RV?s. Many on this forum have owned a lot more than two. The first one was a 37? 5th wheel, brand new with multiple problems; front cap had to be replaced, middle axle bent and replaced, electrical trunk fried and replaced. All within the first year. My current travel trailer developed leaks in two windows. I took it back to the dealer who said it was fixed but it wasn?t. I took it to another dealer who said it was fixed but it wasn?t. I took it to a mobile tech who said it was fixed, not! My son and I finally took the windows out and replaced with new caulk, now it?s fixed.

Bobtop46 said:
File a BBB report first.

the Better Business Bureau is useless. All they do is take your complaint and put it on file. Then if someone contacts them as to the quality of that particular business, they will use it to respond.

jack L

JackL said:
the Better Business Bureau is useless. All they do is take your complaint and put it on file. Then if someone contacts them as to the quality of that particular business, they will use it to respond.

jack L

x2

Under warranty and under typical commercial law, the dealer and the manufacturer are obligated only to "make you whole", i.e. repair the product to the condition it was when you bought it.  It sounds as though they are willing to do that. You should insist on reimbursement for the expense of delivering it to the factory if that is required; otherwise let them provide for transport of the RV to wherever they want to fix it.  It is their option to replace the RV if they think repairs will be too expensive, but that is a highly unusual step to take.

If you think you were defrauded because the product was misrepresented, that's an entirely different matter.  I don't think that is a viable case here, though. What you got was typical shoddy quality production and dealer prep, but that's not fraud. Just poor workmanship.  It's too late now, but advising you to use the RV for months when there was evidence of water intrusion (the rust) was a poor choice that probably resulted in additional damage. Make it clear that it was their choice, not yours, to defer repairs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom