Route Recommendation from Eastern PA into Cape Cod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelmooch

Hello, all...and thanks for your time and consideration. 

I'm currently planning a Pittsburgh-to-Cape Cod trip for June 2021. 

(For reference, we tow a 28' Winnebago Minnie travel trailer behind a full-size NV3500 passenger van.  I'm a fairly confident driver, yet realize that I'm lacking experience after only 3 years of part-time towing.) 

I'm considering 3 different routes...two of which skirt around NYC to the northwest a good 15 miles or so...route 287. 

The third route takes Route 95 pretty much "through town" on our way up to the Cape. 

The various "route" apps I've used show pretty similar drive times for all three routes. 

We have the good fortune that we can pretty much "cherry pick" our departure/travel times out of northeast PA for the "New York" leg of the trip, but I'd rather not be attempting a 4 AM departure or be driving after (summertime) dark. 

I've never been to NYC or even seen it from afar.  Part of me sort of wants to take the I-95 route in hopes of catching a glimpse of the city...I think our kids and us might enjoy that. 

Part of me sort of *knows* better, with respect to potential traffic and having to maneuver 50 feet and 15,000 lbs of rig through it. 

Is anyone able to speak from experience here?  Might we pass through I-95 during mid-morning or early afternoon (day and time flexible) without getting into a traffic mess?  Keep farther away from the city? 

Thank you!  Happy travels. 

Remember, drive times do NOT take traffic congestion into account.

I95 through NYC crosses the George Washington bridge over the Hudson and then passes through the Bronx. I strongly recommend you DO NOT take this route. It is practically at a standstill at all hours. Yes, you will have a view of the a Manhattan skyline, but for hours while you crawl in traffic.

The I289 route is better. At the east end it puts you on I95. You take that to Providence RI. As you approach Providence from the south, exit to I195 east. At the end, continue on MA RT25 to the Bourne Bridge, and on to the cape.

At all costs, avoid I-95 and the George Washington Bridge. Aside from the horrible traffic, the current toll is $88 for the GWB.

The Tappen Zee (Mario Cuomo) Bridge on I-287 is $12, and The Beacon/Newburgh Bridge on I-84 is $3.50.

A few more thoughts...

I-287 and I-95 are pretty much concrete canyons - there's nothing to see except Jersey barriers and lots of retaining walls. I was on I-95 through New Haven today, so this just came to mind.

You're going to be in northeast PA. A favorite route of ours is Route 209 through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation area. It's a two-lane road that runs between I-80 and I-84, and ends right at the NY border. A very scenic route that's a pleasure to drive. It's a little narrow going through the village of Milford at the northern end, but I don't have any issues with our 38' Class A towing a Jeep.

If you're not in a real hurry, a more relaxed ride would be I-84 into CT, then I-691 to I-91 north, back to I-84 (to bypass Hartford), then I-384 to Route 6 to Providence. Route 6 is a two-lane road, but it's a pretty ride with not a lot of traffic. I travel to eastern CT for work on occasion, and that's my go-to route.

If you're not aware, you can't go on any road named parkway - Taconic Parkway, Saw Mill River Parkway, Merritt Parkway, etc. They are for passenger cars only.

To muddy the waters even further: if you do take I-95, consider going through Newport, RI. At the CT/RI border, take Route 2 south to Route 78 to Route 1 north. Route 1 is mostly four lanes, but there are traffic lights. Follow Route 1 to Route 138, through Jamestown into Newport. Continue on Route 138 or Route 114, to Route 24 to I-195 towards the Cape. A word of caution - you will fall in love with Newport!

HappyWanderer:

Wow...thank you SO much.  A lot to unpack and to digest right there for a relative "newbie". 

A hall-of-fame message board contribution right there...the epitome of a friendly, helpful, and informative couple of posts. 

Thank you again and happy travels.  :)

Go to Niagara Falls, then follow the NY State Thruway to the Mass Pike, or take the I-287 route, as mentioned above.

The I-287/95 route has other nice stops along the way.  Mystic CT etc.  or go up the northern route and come back the I-287/95 route.

Back
Top Bottom