rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Question About Sharp Convection Microwave  (Read 340 times)

arcticfox2005

• ---
Question About Sharp Convection Microwave
« on: February 15, 2020, 08:22:40 AM »
Our new to us Tiffin has a Sharp convection microwave instead of a conventional oven. Neither of us has ever used one and since we have zero knowledge, a book was in order. I studied the choices and ordered one from Amazon.

It it well written and starts off discussing the types of convection ovens (there are five) and then she states that all of the recipes were developed with the first three types in mind. Naturally, convection microwave is type four. She does state that the recipes can be adapted to be usable with a convection microwave. Therein lies the problem. Adapted how? In general are there modifications to try?

Overall, I like the book and for $14 it's not worth the effort to return it, so any info on modifications would be welcomed.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:30:27 AM by arcticfox2005 »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Question About Sharp Convention Microwave
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 08:56:07 AM »
You are over-thinking this. A convection microwave is two different appliances in one box, a microwave and a convection oven.   When you use it as a microwave, follow the microwave recipes. When you use it as a convection oven, follow the oven recipes.  The only time it gets more complicated is when you use both microwave & convection at the same time to get faster cooking, what Sharp calls "mixed operation".  It should be covered in your Sharp owner manual.  If you didn't get the manual with the coach, find it at http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeAppliances/MicrowaveOvens/SMD2480CS.aspx?view=manuals

Mixed micro and convection is useful for a few things, e.g. baking potatoes or maybe a roast. For general baking, e.g. cakes & pies, casseroles, etc,, you will probably stick with convection only and no microwaves involved. And of course, microwaving for a variety of heating and cooking chores.
In a nutshell, "cook for 25 minutes at 350" is the same in a convection oven as it is on a traditional oven.  "Microwave on high for 3 minutes" is the same as any microwave oven of similar wattage.  It's only when you try to mix micro and convection together that you need to make some allowances, usually just a few minutes of time.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:00:12 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Isaac-1

• ---
Re: Question About Sharp Convention Microwave
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 09:12:30 AM »
When converting recipes from conventional oven to convection oven use, try setting the temperature one step cooler on the convection oven.  In other words if the recipe calls for cooking at 350, then cook at 325 instead, also convection ovens tend to cook faster, so cut a little off the suggested time.  A bit of trial and error will tell you how much.  For example when cooking frozen pizza in the Sharp convection oven in my coach, I cook it for about 13-14 minutes, instead of the recommended 17 minutes in a conventional oven.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

arcticfox2005

• ---
Re: Question About Sharp Convection Microwave
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 09:44:05 AM »
Let me clarify something.

She gives suggestions for modifying recipes meant for a conventional oven to be used in a convection oven.

Her recipes are developed for use in a convection oven with conventional heating elements, radiant heat.

What is needed is a modification (if necessary) for a recipe developed for this type of convection oven (with conventional heating elements) to a convection oven with a microwave heating element.

As suggested by Gary, I may be over-thinking this. Maybe no changes need to be made, but if they do, then knowing about it in advance would be great.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 10:24:00 AM »
We've been using the convection function on our GE unit in the motorhome for several years now. Some recipes need a slight temperature adjustment and some don't, so you should be able to take those "converted" recipes and use them as is. You might note that, at Quartzsite last month, DW made a peach upside down cake using the exact same recipe as she does at home (not a convection oven at home) and it turned out beautifully.

So, as Gary says, you're "overthinking it." It's just a small oven.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »
Any given oven will cook a bit differently than another, e.g. different size, maybe heats more or less evenly, more or less accurate thermostat, etc. All those factors require a bit more attention from the cook than blindly following a standard recipe. However, we've never found that recipes needed wholesale modification to use a convection oven.  We've had two, both GE Profile models, in two coaches and 14 years of cooking practice with them.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 01:40:42 PM »
Another contributing issue will be altitude which may change in a RV unlike cooking at home
2002 Safari Trek 2830

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 02:24:18 PM »
The biggest change in the convection oven compared to a regular oven is that it won't broil foods, so you won't have a crispy exterior.  Diane loves to cook, but she prefers a large toaster oven for most recipes. And her Instant Pot.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 05:13:52 PM »
As the first responder suggested  Rather than treat it as a "Convection/Microwave" treate it as a Convection OR a microwage. depending on which you need.

Reating leftovers (I use steam) microwave
Cooking them originally, Convection.

I've used convection, microwave, and regular.. I like convection but alas it got lost.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 06:19:11 PM »
She does state that the recipes can be adapted to be usable with a convection microwave. Therein lies the problem. Adapted how?

The adaptation is not in the recipes themselves but in the temperature and cooking time.  I was taught to reduce the temperature but over the years have learned that the times and temperatures are pretty similar.  As others have said, it depends on your particular unit.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 10:04:12 AM »
The convection ovens in a RV are just small ovens with a fan. Yes, they have two other modes (microwave and combo), but you use the convection mode just like a regular oven. The fan just circulates the hot air since the oven is so small. I bake in mine frequently, and for my Sharp oven I make no modifications. I do look at the food a few minutes early to make sure, but I seldom have to adjust. The book the OP has is more oriented to big European convection ovens like I have at home. For that I do need to make adjustments. The lack of a broil ability can be partially compensated for by a few minutes at the highest temp your oven can go - 400-450. Not quite the same, but it can crisp up the top for a finish on many dishes.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 12:47:17 PM »
Our Sharp model R-1880LST convection/microwave has a broil function. But we've never used it.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup