Route Planning TX to Tetons, Yellowstone, Rushmore Back to TX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
X

X-Roughneck

Planning a June-ish Yellowstone 2020 trip.  I will be traveling in my 32'.5" Class C, Gasser, along with my Tow Dolly and a Mazda CX-5 (52' Bumper to Bumper).

Looking for experienced tips or suggested routes coming out of Texas.  I know Jackiemac mentioned the Freakish Weather in June. 

Route Loop I "want" to take...
Depart TX
Tetons
Yellowstone NP
Rushmore
South to TX

I am not wanting to take a route where things can get real dicey with the Grand Daughter along for the trip. 

I am playing around with RV Wizard and I think I might need to retool the options. Some of the routes it is pulling for me heading North out of the Tetons to Yellowstone are showing Dirt road travel. 

Not interested in traveling down the "Highway to Hell", so to speak pulling my Tow. 

Dirt roads and 52'.  Not sure about?

Is it realistic to think...Dirt is just a fact up there and I will have to do some of that?

Any Cliff Note Routes anybody might suggest to a RV Rookie like myself?

I want to see some of the ICONIC things, Old Faithful...You know the tourist trap things +

For my Reference above, Yea, I did see Bon Scott with AC / DC a couple months before his death back in the day...Yea.  Classic Rock for me.  Alot of it.  Thank Goodness for that full moon that night.  We needed it on that 100 Mile drive back home.  We had no headlights on my buddy Chris' beater Pick up truck, more scary no common sense to fix prior to a 100 mile night departure trip heading out from Midland TX.  Barely, 17 years of age, yea, just pure stupid.  Ahh the memories... Fatherhood came shortly there after but that is another Forum post, elsewhere.

I love them Country Western Classics too...  It is how we roll down here in the Lone Star State, Ya'LL.

As a matter of fact....might be a bit heavier on the CW now days. 

People change... Thankfully I have.
---------------------

15 September 1979, been there, got the T-shirt.

Never had before or since been to a concert that made my ears ring for 3 days.  I been to a lot of shows.

http://www.chmetal.info/tourdates/ACDC_1979.htm

If you are using Google it might be sending you a weird way because of current conditions, you need to change date of travel in the options on 3 vertical dots drop down.

June should be fine for exploring and you will probably see a lot of wildlife. Be prepared for chilly days and nights, but also heat.

Here are 2 posts with lots of useful info. If you need further advice please ask.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,112258.msg1013394.html#msg1013394

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,111583.msg1007894.html#msg1007894

Note that there are several places to camp at West Yellowstone that I did not include. Bakers Hole Campground about 10 miles out of town. Several RV parks in town with varying prices. There are first come places in the park too depending on your willingness to take a chance. I'd say it may be less busy than July and August but not sure as we have not camped at that time of year.

Good luck

Finding an open spot in Yellowstone is easy even without a reservation. Here is a page that lists all the campgrounds in Yellowstone and a list of what sites are open.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

SeilerBird said:
Every time I have driven between Yellowstone and GT it has always been on nice paved roads, that would be on highway 191.

191 Noted.  I will have the Suspension upgrade completed in the next few weeks on the Motor Home.  Looking forward to being in the area but no back roads of Morocco stuff.  Might need to cut some diamonds traveling down that road. 

Only old people would get the reference to cutting diamonds and back roads of Morocco (TV commercial, back in the Day). 

Also would probably have to have grown up in the USA.  Sorry Jackiemac.  I see the proverbial ricochet, and you not getting it. We all know your side of the "pond" is way, way out there.

I want to try and lock in some dates inside the National Park, all the travel up and back hate to lock all that in firm in case situation "X" throws a wrench in the gear teeth.  We stayed at a Almost Deserted Badlands NP in September... I have no visions of being in a anything less than Packed Area with the School being in recess for the summer.

This You Tube Link might help a person select a tow vehicle.  Pinto...yea...

(Diamond Cutting at 3:36 min)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0PFl73XF3g

jackiemac said:
If you are using Google it might be sending you a weird way because of current conditions, you need to change date of travel in the options on 3 vertical dots drop down.

June should be fine for exploring and you will probably see a lot of wildlife. Be prepared for chilly days and nights, but also heat.

Here are 2 posts with lots of useful info. If you need further advice please ask.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,112258.msg1013394.html#msg1013394

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,111583.msg1007894.html#msg1007894

I just hit the planning Lotto, going to study up on these links....Thanks JM.

Camping...trying to make a brand new...."Family Tradition".  HWjr.

Without adding a bunch of extra miles, you will have to cross the Bighorn Mountains between Yellowstone and Rushmore. From Cody, you have three choices. Fortunately, they are all easier eastbound than westbound. I have towed my 5th wheel over all three routed with no problem.

1. U.S. 14A through Lovell to Burgess Junction, then U.S. 14 to I-90. IMO. this is the most scenic of the three. You will have a 10 mile, 10% grade to climb, but that is easier than going down it. Just east of Lovell, Bighorn Canyon N.R.A. is an under appreciated gem. the magnificent scenery looks like it belongs in the southwest. Wild horses are almost always found along the road, and closeup views of bighorn sheep are very common.

2. U.S. 14 through Shell. to I90. This climb is a little easier than 14A. If you go this way, stop at the Shell Canyon visitor center. Don't miss the short trail there to Shell falls.

3. U.S. 16 through Ten Sleep, to I90. This is the a little easier than the other two routes, but also the least scenic.

As long as you are art Rushmore, it would be a crine not to go a few more miles east tto see Badlands N.P.

Joel

Attachments

• 14a.jpg
    14a.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 5
My DW & I rode our motorcycles from Boston to Seattle back in 06. We stopped at Jackson Lake lodge to visit Yellowstone. We used a small tour bus to get around and were able to see all the highlights on an all day tour. It was great not driving or finding parking at each site.

+1 on seeing the Badlands, Crazy Horse Memorial & Custer state park when going to Rushmore. We actually have never gone into the Rushmore site but simply parked along the road at several places to see the rocks. Lunch in Keystone is a good take too.

First off getting there from Texas is easy, just take US287 which runs from Port Arthur, TX all the way through Yellowstone and into Montana, being co-numbers with other highways along the way.  The only real obstacles you will have along the way are Dallas, and Denver.  I have driven well over 90% of this route along 287, some of it multiple times on various trips over the last 5 years, it is a good route, though somewhat boring in places, as there is a whole lot of nothing between Amarillo, Texas and Denver, Colorado.

One challenge is finding a place to stop for the night in eastern Colorado, again there is a whole lot of nothing, not even many roadside RV parks (or gas stations, or anything else).  Depending on when you go, if you follow this route, wind will likely be a bigger issue than terrain, so watch out for the weather.  There are no steep portions of this route or much of anything in the way of winding roads until you get close to Yellowstone, at which point it can't be avoided.  There are some long slow climbs, but they are for the most part so gentle that you don't realize you are doing it, and you don't realize you are into the mountains until you are somewhere around Laramie WY, even then it is not that much, as 287 tends to follow along wide valley floors almost all the way there.

As to Yellowstone to Mount Rushmore, I can't comment too much, as I have note done that drive.

I would highly recommend Rafter Bar J RV park for Mt. Rushmore. Half way between Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore. https://www.rafterj.com All the paved roads in the area are excellent. No problems with our 40' DP.

The 600+ acre RV park sits on the Mickelson Trail great for hiking/biking the Black Hills. https://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/trails/george-s-mickelson-trail

This is a beautiful area of the United States. Plan to spend 3-5 days at least.
Make sure to see the night lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore (Fireworks make the experience even better if you are there on the 4th of July). Take your tow vehicle (NOT RV) on the Needles Highway (spectacular views) and Iron Mountain Road (wildlife, buffalo, wild donkeys). You won't regret it.

Just east of Rapid City is Badlands NP (a totally different landscape/moonscape) and Wall City (famous for Wall City Drugs, you'll see all the billboards). https://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm and https://www.walldrug.com/

I went the opposite direction, Rushmore to Yellowstone, but as previously stated by others, the Rushmore area is so much more than just Rushmore. Park the RV for the day near or at Rushmore in the morning. See Rushmore, get your pictures, and drive the car down through Custer State Park to Wind Cave National Park. Go down into the cave and then drive up Needles Highway back to Rushmore. On a map it looks short because it isn't tons of miles, but the steep winding roads and animals keep the speed limit low so it's an all day adventure. You'll see Rushmore framed through a tunnel on your return that's a beautiful sight. When you get back, you'll get to see Rushmore all lit up at night.
If time allows, I have to agree with the others that going slightly out of your way to Badlands and Wall (the little town outside Badlands) would ve well well worth the drive.

Yes so many possibilities.  This forum is a gold mine of tips and ideas.  I appreciate everyone's $0.02,  If you read the string and got something else.  Throw it out for me to look at.  I will appreciate it.

I want to plan a Do-able trip that does not feel super rushed.  We are talking our Grand Daughter so want to balance that with alot of WOW. 

We want to go back to Rushmore.  There was a Huge Construction Project ongoing there back in September of last year.  The avenue where you supposedly walk down under the 50 state Flags we gone.  Not sure exactly what they are planning, but it looks extensive.  Did not snap a pic afterall.  Just a few steps beyond the consession where you buy the Thomas Jefferson Ice Cream was about as far as one could venture on the top side. 

We were able to walk about 80% of the Presidents trail, which remained open.  I could not believe that no mention of that was made by the staff.  I overhead some lady talking to another about the trail location outside the main entrance.

Started to dig into the area.  I just love to dig. 

Just here having fun.  BSN?.

Loved some of the quotes X-tracted from the link I will share with you.

http://www.glenrockind.com/content/big-muddy-footprint-past

Glen-rock, a mere 500 Miles from Yellowstone.

Check out and Zoom in on this beautiful FLICKR Link,  The ?Glenrock Oil Gusher?, 1919.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/auvet/43720148300/in/photolist-jz2ZgU-95qtqe-5FW499-29BpbUm-7r45SX-wBg6cW-4EGctg-LXMPse-4ESQUQ-M5TTmM-7XbtqM-LVcmtf-LDfPMm-L8CVZG-LXMPJg-xSQ77S-Qf84Vm-4AK2Wc

Somebody with Grit had to build that by Derick by hand back in 1919.  Hammer, Hand Drill, Ingenuity. 

The Wildcatter would have been a Great RVr.  I bet. 

Attachments

• Rushmore Sep 2019.jpeg
    Rushmore Sep 2019.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 11
The Custer state park drive is actually a 3 part (road) drive.
Continue on 244 from Rushmore to US385, turn left and the shortly, turn left again on the Needles Highway (rt87).  Note, an RV won?t go up this road due to a low tunnel and narrow rock cuts.
At the end of the Needles Hiway, turn left on US16A. After some number of miles it will enter Custer State Park. It is then known as Iron Mountain Road. You are likely to see free range Bison, maybe blocking the road - a buffalo jam as they call it.
Enjoy the pigtails and the 3 tunnels. Each tunnel in this direction exits looking directly at Mt Rushmore. You tax dollars well spent.

LarsMac said:
Texas is a pretty big place. From what part of Texas are you going to start this trip.

Lars, Near Eden, TX.  I am almost in the GPS Geographic Center. 

I think when GPS came out years ago they Pin Pointed True Geographic Center of Texas to a place in the middle of Someone's Ranch near Eden, TX. 

Yes, Eden, TX does have a Garden, I promise. 

GPS Didn't convince near by Brady, TX to drop their "The Heart of Texas" Slogan.

So just a Quick 400 mile Plus jaunt to the North, West, & Eastern Borders Respectfully to get out of here.  I am going to take the back roads all the way.

Launching our Eagle-1 from the "Wool Capital of Texas", not BSN. 

I think realistically I want to be in the 15-18 Day trip window.  My trip oval/ring with Rushmore Custer, SD area the last stop. 

I think a 6 hour most days 225-250 mile range.  Might stretch it a bit + at the first or the last of the trip

I think I would be doing a disservice to my Grand Daughter if we passed up Rushmore, but again this is the start of the Journey.

Correction:

Launching our Eagle-1 from the "Wool Capital of The World", not BSN. 

I have been gone awhile.  At least that is what my wife keeps telling me.

I've been to Eden.
My old Caddie lost bearing in the water pump on the way home from visiting friends in San Angelo many years back. ended up spending a week there.

I presume you might head straight up 385 for a while.
If you do, here's a place for a quick stop. We went there to watch the "Great Eclipse"
Carhenge - Alliance Nebraska
There is a decent RV CG there as well.

LarsMac said:
I've been to Eden.
My old Caddie lost bearing in the water pump on the way home from visiting friends in San Angelo many years back. ended up spending a week there.

I presume you might head straight up 385 for a while.
If you do, here's a place for a quick stop. We went there to watch the "Great Eclipse"
Carhenge - Alliance Nebraska
There is a decent RV CG there as well.

Good thing your mind didn't lose a bearing near here.  My Dad was a shrink in this town for many years.  Great man!  Great Spirit. He took me from who knows what fate?  Wouldn't be the Best MFing Child Hood one could hope for.  Had to paint the proper pic, sorry for the..you know. 

I hit the Mega lotto in life having him and my Mom select me as their Son. 

I was the brand new car on the lot, then 57+.

Let me pick a bone with you and your neck of the woods.  Gotta read between the pavement markers. 

Toll Roads...Skirting Denver Area to Ft Collins..OMG. 

Why are the roads NOT PAVED with GOLD up there????? 

Had to take a knee reliving the experience of opening up that envelope.

Had a Flashback.   

X-Roughneck said:
Good thing your mind didn't lose a bearing near here.  My Dad was a shrink in this town for many years.  Great man!  Great Spirit. He took me from who knows what fate?  Wouldn't be the Best MFing Child Hood one could hope for.  Had to paint the proper pic, sorry for the..you know. 

I hit the Mega lotto in life having him and my Mom select me as their Son. 

I was the brand new car on the lot, then 57+.

Let me pick a bone with you and your neck of the woods.  Gotta read between the pavement markers. 

Toll Roads...Skirting Denver Area to Ft Collins..OMG. 

Why are the roads NOT PAVED with GOLD up there????? 

Had to take a knee reliving the experience of opening up that envelope.

Had a Flashback. 

That toll road is a bit on the high side with 4 axles, but I signed up for the toll pass years ago, and it has been worth the money, in my book. I used to run down to Co Springs a lot for work and it was 9 mies longer, and 2 hours faster that running down I-25 through Denver.
I don't even think about it much, anymore.
I stay away from I-25 in Colorado as much as possible, anymore.

If you want to by-pass the toll road, and I-25, follow US-287 to Limon, and take SR-71 north from there to Brush, where you can take US-34 West towards Greeley. At Greely you can take US-85 to Cheyenne and miss the whole I-25 Madhouse.

Or you can stay on 385 all the way through Colorado. Not as exciting as I-25 but not a bad road.

You can also Follow I-70 to Bennet, and take SR-79 north to SR-52 and west back to I-25, if you want. 52 gets abit busy at rush hour, but nothing like I-25.

There is a restaurant called The Pepper Pod in Hudson that has the best Chicken-Fried Steaks in Colorado. You have to study the area to find parking for your rig, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom