EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: North America Travel Info  (Read 25858 times)

Steve, CDN

• ---
  • VA3VH
    • The Pallys
North America Travel Info
« on: March 03, 2005, 03:52:16 PM »
Here is a list of toll free numbers and websites of tourist information offices for all States, Provinces and Mexico.

If there are any updates or corrections, please hit the REPLY button and advise us any changes so the file can be updated.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 03:50:21 PM by Steve, CDN »
Steve, Forum Moderator
Home Page
My Polar Bear Mural

silverbullet

Re: North America Travel Info
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 03:48:37 PM »
Hi Steve

What are your top 3 recommendations for Canadian RV destinations?

-Jon

Steve, CDN

• ---
  • VA3VH
    • The Pallys
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 05:21:15 PM »
I cannot speak for Western Canada destinations because I don't have RV travel experience in that part of our Country.  However I would propose Banff, Lake Louise and the Rockies based on the reports of others.  In Eastern Canada, it would be the a trip from Ottawa to Montreal, Quebec City through the Gaspe Pinnninsula and on to the Maritimes including Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and St. Andrews by the Sea, New Brunswick.  If you have the time and want to spend the money on the ferry, then a trip to Newfoundland can be included.

It's more than a top 3 list, but if you are planning a trip, that's the way I woud do it.

If you need a more concentrated version of the above, give me an idea of what part of the Country you want to visit and at what time of year.
Steve, Forum Moderator
Home Page
My Polar Bear Mural

gone2camp

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 11:23:16 PM »
Any recommendations for campgrounds in the Southern Adirondack area?  Near Caroga Lake or Mayfield?  We would like to visit the Adirondacks but also Cooperstown from 1 location.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 11:28:36 PM by gone2camp »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 09:34:07 AM »
There's a large NY state park with a campground right on the Sacandaga Reservoir near Mayfield. NY State parks
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

harley man

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »
I belong to, overnightrvparking.com, not campsites but full of info on sites to supply temp.  parking for the weary.
04 Endeavor
05 Cherokee
00 Harley Heritage

Darin

• ---
    • I'm a guitar player.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 07:08:49 AM »
I belong to, overnightrvparking.com, not campsites but full of info on sites to supply temp.  parking for the weary.

Subscribe to OvernightRVParking.com for only $17.95/year

Talk me into it.  I suspect it's worth the $18.......
1990 Fleetwood PaceArrow 34' Class A

seilerbird

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 10:15:22 PM »

It is the best $18 I have spent. Reports are very accurate and if you submit an update they extend your subscription for two weeks.

hoddinron

• ---
    • My blog
Re: Campgrounds in Souther Adirondacks
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 10:40:17 AM »
Herkimer KOA is VERY nice, and close to the southern entrance to the Adirondack Park.

There is ONE (that I know of) RV park in the central Adirondack Park that has hookups and it is in the town of Long Lake (http://www.hossscountrycorner.com/).

We stayed there a few days this summer and drove south about 20 miles to spend the day at the Museum of the Adirondacks in Blue Mountain Lake.  WONDERFUL PLACE!  :) :)

Loved it!
Ron
Ron & Joyce - Retired
2012 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 2.73 axle
2016 Sabre 25 RL 5th Wheel

UCCRVer

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 07:19:02 AM »
We are headed to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in our 35' Newmar Kountry Star 5'er.  Any suggestions of excellent, quiet campgrounds would be greatly appreciated.  A special interest is flyfishing, either fresh or saltwater, tend to like to be near ocean, but glad for all recommendations. Oh!  and does anyone know whether the Canadian National Park campgrounds that claim to have hookups and be RV friendly truly are?

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 08:08:21 AM »
     If you are truly into fly fishing, look at sites on the Miramichi which boasts some of the best Atlantic Salmon sports fishing.  However, I believe that if you are not a New Brunswicker, you will need to hire a guide to get on the river, but there are lots of them and many hve websites, just google search them.  As an alternative, there are nice sites and rivers in the Highlands of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.
     As for National Parks with electricity, I think both Fundy Park, near Moncton and Kouchibiguac not too far from Miramichi have modern facilities, including hook ups.
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

vermilye

• ---
  • Oswego, NY
    • Lakeshore Images.com
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 09:23:18 AM »
Just a note - Overnight RV Parking is now $24.95 per year...

rhmahoney

• ---
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 08:51:59 AM »
Nova Scotia, 30 miles S of Halifax and 2 miles NW of Peggy's Cove is King Neptune Campground right on the ocean in a pleasant cove with a magnificent view and a lobster pound next door.

Edit Spelling typo/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:41:49 AM by Steve, CDN »
Green Flash seeker
Country Coach Magna
Datastorm internet satellite dish.D3.Direcway 7000 modem

acokeday

• ---
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 10:39:41 PM »
Has anyone stayed at the Santiago Event Center in Orange County, California?  We are looking for a place to stay near there in November 2012 for a week or two.   Thanks   Alan

BethT46

• ---
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »
The Okanagan valley in British Columbia is a great place to visit. I've stayed in campgrounds in Oliver BC and Osoyoos BC....good central locations to tour the entire area....lots of wineries and roadside stands selling local fruit and vegetables in summer. Western Saskatchewan.....Fort Walsh and Cypress Lake Provincial Park....stay in the small town of Maple Creek Sask. Calgary Stampede.....several campgrounds in the Calgary area to choose from. Bridal Falls Camperland RV Park at Rosedale BC, east of Vancouver....good central location for exploring Vancouver and surrounding area. There are also campgrounds on the Washington side near Blaine WA that are close to Vancouver and Seattle areas.
BethT
Charley and Lola
2003 Itasca Horizon 32TD
2004 GMC 1500 4WD Z71

chinodon

• ---
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »
We are going to the Okanagan area in next week. How is the HWY 3 from Hope over to Kelowna? Is it RV friendly? Looks kind of mountainous.

ticat900

• ---
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »
I cannot speak for Western Canada destinations because I don't have RV travel experience in that part of our Country.  However I would propose Banff, Lake Louise and the Rockies based on the reports of others.  In Eastern Canada, it would be the a trip from Ottawa to Montreal, Quebec City through the Gaspe Pinnninsula and on to the Maritimes including Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and St. Andrews by the Sea, New Brunswick.  If you have the time and want to spend the money on the ferry, then a trip to Newfoundland can be included.

It's more than a top 3 list, but if you are planning a trip, that's the way I woud do it.

If you need a more concentrated version of the above, give me an idea of what part of the Country you want to visit and at what time of year.

I highly reccomend staying out of Quebec entirely as they .hate engish speaking people and its worse now since the new premier has really rilled up the population with her rehtoric about french only sign law being strongly reenforced etc

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 11:12:05 AM »
You responded to a 6 year old.message, but I believe Steve is very familiar with Quebec.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 12:05:10 PM »
   Tom ... his post is .... inaccurate.  His comments would be similar to advising people to stay out of Arizona because of their "proof of citizenship law".  There is little doubt that it can be frustrating at times trying to understand the French signs, or even the universal no language signs.  But Quebeckers are amongst the friendliest cultures in the world.  I would ask anyone who wants independent opinions to go to our trip logs of the many framily who have posted about their trips.  Unfortunately, we too have people who wear their politics on their sleeves, which leads to intolerant comments.  This is a friendly place, and I have been in Quebec hundreds of times, with and without our various RV, and do not share the previous poster's comments.

Ed 

Admin edit: Removed potentially inflamatory comment; Fixed tag.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:52:18 AM by Tom »
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 12:51:32 PM »
Understood Ed. OTOH we've seen our share of reports of anti-social reactions to folks who don't/can't speak the local language. I suspect it's a relatively small number of (anti-social) individuals in each case, although I know it caused us to leave the province prematurely, and skip part of our planned route. There was a marked difference in reception when I dug deep to recall school French. I've talked in person with 'locals' who told me "it's widespread, and they even react that way towards us".

FWIW I was somewhat aware of it, having spent a number of years doing business in France, but Q was IMO way OTT.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

rdanger

• ---
  • 2007 Winnebago Vista 30B
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 07:49:38 PM »
Steve:  we are planning on a trip to the Gaspe in August....plan on towing our Jeep....is rte 132 a good safe road?  we would also entertain the possibility of a base camp and then driving the jeep around the different coastal towns.....any tips, thoughts?
Rita Anger

2007 Winnebago Vista 30 B

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »
    Check the trip reports in the library, several forum members have made that trip over the past few years.  Our daughter, SIL & 2 kids did it last summer on their way to visit us at our summer cottage.  They were driving a Hyundai Santa Fe towing a fair sized Pop Up.  As I recall there are a few short steep grades, but noting too onerous.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 38 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 08:43:35 PM »
come to Ontario we love tourist. haha no its true. i too have been to Quebec many times and have always found the people friendly. Montreal is very multicultural, almost the same as toronto. many different ethnic backgrounds. if anyone goes to Montreal check out the great old cathedral churches. many are open to the public . the architecture is something to see. i have been to banff, very pretty. love the rockies. cape breton was very pretty too. heading to newfoundland this summer.

rdanger

• ---
  • 2007 Winnebago Vista 30B
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 05:44:07 AM »
come to Ontario we love tourist. haha no its true. i too have been to Quebec many times and have always found the people friendly. Montreal is very multicultural, almost the same as toronto. many different ethnic backgrounds. if anyone goes to Montreal check out the great old cathedral churches. many are open to the public . the architecture is something to see. i have been to banff, very pretty. love the rockies. cape breton was very pretty too. heading to newfoundland this summer.

Thanks for the info...I have been to Ottawa, not RV'g, but found the city to be one of the most beautiful in the world....I am a Francophone, relatives in QUebec, been to Montreal and Quebec City and its surrounding townships...spent summers near Levis, Quebec, loved PEI and Nova Scotia....however, GASPE is on my bucket list....if I can drive a 30 foot motor home through the Big Horn Mtns in Wyoming, then I should be able to do this route, eh?
Rita Anger

2007 Winnebago Vista 30 B

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 38 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »
my friend has been down east about 10 times. we considered swinging through gaspe on the way home from nova scotia last year  but he said he has been there three times and the weather was terrible every time he went there. just his opinion but he said it was very scenic, simular to the cabot trail in cape breton which was very scenic the way the highway follows the coastline around cape breton. lots of hills.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 12:34:12 PM »
The Gaspe is beautiful, but the weather is definitely a factor.  Don't even attempt to go if it's foggy because you won't see anything!  We finally went on our third try and it was gorgeous, not to mention interesting.  I didn't feel it was comparable to the Cabot Trail.  They're both beautiful but different.  The Gaspe is much more remote and more French.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Steve, CDN

• ---
  • VA3VH
    • The Pallys
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
we are planning on a trip to the Gaspe in August....plan on towing our Jeep....is rte 132 a good safe road?

As safe as any two lane road anywhere else; however as you get further East, closer to Gaspé there are a few steep hills that require patience or power to climb, depending on your equipment.

I would have no reservations about traveling along Rte 132, in fact I recommend getting in it East of Quebec City or from Montmagny at the very latest and stay off the Expressway 20 in order to enjoy the towns along the St. Lawrence.
Steve, Forum Moderator
Home Page
My Polar Bear Mural

Hosted by Over The Network