North America Travel Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve:  we are planning on a trip to the Gaspe in August....plan on towing our Jeep....is rte 132 a good safe road?  we would also entertain the possibility of a base camp and then driving the jeep around the different coastal towns.....any tips, thoughts?

Check the trip reports in the library, several forum members have made that trip over the past few years.  Our daughter, SIL & 2 kids did it last summer on their way to visit us at our summer cottage.  They were driving a Hyundai Santa Fe towing a fair sized Pop Up.  As I recall there are a few short steep grades, but noting too onerous.

Ed

come to Ontario we love tourist. haha no its true. i too have been to Quebec many times and have always found the people friendly. Montreal is very multicultural, almost the same as toronto. many different ethnic backgrounds. if anyone goes to Montreal check out the great old cathedral churches. many are open to the public . the architecture is something to see. i have been to banff, very pretty. love the rockies. cape breton was very pretty too. heading to newfoundland this summer.

muskoka guy said:
come to Ontario we love tourist. haha no its true. i too have been to Quebec many times and have always found the people friendly. Montreal is very multicultural, almost the same as toronto. many different ethnic backgrounds. if anyone goes to Montreal check out the great old cathedral churches. many are open to the public . the architecture is something to see. i have been to banff, very pretty. love the rockies. cape breton was very pretty too. heading to newfoundland this summer.

Thanks for the info...I have been to Ottawa, not RV'g, but found the city to be one of the most beautiful in the world....I am a Francophone, relatives in QUebec, been to Montreal and Quebec City and its surrounding townships...spent summers near Levis, Quebec, loved PEI and Nova Scotia....however, GASPE is on my bucket list....if I can drive a 30 foot motor home through the Big Horn Mtns in Wyoming, then I should be able to do this route, eh?

my friend has been down east about 10 times. we considered swinging through gaspe on the way home from nova scotia last year  but he said he has been there three times and the weather was terrible every time he went there. just his opinion but he said it was very scenic, simular to the cabot trail in cape breton which was very scenic the way the highway follows the coastline around cape breton. lots of hills.

The Gaspe is beautiful, but the weather is definitely a factor.  Don't even attempt to go if it's foggy because you won't see anything!  We finally went on our third try and it was gorgeous, not to mention interesting.  I didn't feel it was comparable to the Cabot Trail.  They're both beautiful but different.  The Gaspe is much more remote and more French.

ArdraF

we are planning on a trip to the Gaspe in August....plan on towing our Jeep....is rte 132 a good safe road?

As safe as any two lane road anywhere else; however as you get further East, closer to Gasp? there are a few steep hills that require patience or power to climb, depending on your equipment.

I would have no reservations about traveling along Rte 132, in fact I recommend getting in it East of Quebec City or from Montmagny at the very latest and stay off the Expressway 20 in order to enjoy the towns along the St. Lawrence.

Is there a ferry that will take you from Main to Nova Scotia? 29' Class A with Jeep Wrangler in tow.

I think it is closed for the winter, but will start again in the spring.  Here is their web site:  https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/  There is also a ferry from Saint John New Brunswick that I think runs all year, here is their link: https://www.ferries.ca/nb-ns-ferry/

Ed

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom