Cursor jumps around on Windows 10 laptop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSHappyCampers

I have a lot of problems with the cursor suddenly changing locations when I'm typing a text and pause briefly.  It goes back to wherever the "I" symbol happens to have been left. 

I've tried a lot of things that people suggested but nothing has helped so far.  Anyone had any success at stopping this?

Are you using an external mouse or that a)Q(W#W$*@)#(*$!@)#I Glide pad thing they put below the space bar.. #1 cause of that issue is why the Dingbat above.. TURN IT OFF use an external rodent.

There are also sensitivity tweeks you can do to the mouse under settings.  Change some parameters and do a reboot.  Check that the driver is most current as well.

John From Detroit said:
Are you using an external mouse or that a)Q(W#W$*@)#(*$!@)#I Glide pad thing they put below the space bar.. #1 cause of that issue is why the Dingbat above.. TURN IT OFF use an external rodent.

I use the touchpad, don't have an external mouse.  I disabled the eraser button in the middle of the keypad!

SpencerPJ said:
There are also sensitivity tweeks you can do to the mouse under settings.  Change some parameters and do a reboot.  Check that the driver is most current as well.

Done all that already!

MSHappyCampers said:
I use the touchpad, don't have an external mouse.  I disabled the eraser button in the middle of the keypad!

This is likely your culprit.  Sometimes your palms will just graze the touchpad, and there the mouse goes.  Sometimes it doesn't take much.  This has caused many a screwed up post and misspelled word for me.

edjunior said:
Sometimes your palms will just graze the touchpad, and there the mouse goes.  Sometimes it doesn't take much.  This has caused many a screwed up post and misspelled word for me.

You can make the touch pad less sensitive in Windows 10.
In the Notifications Center (the "balloon" icon at the right end of the task bar) open "all settings, then "Devices, then "Touch Pad".

Attachments

• touchpad sensitivity.jpg
    touchpad sensitivity.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 11
MSHappyCampers said:

So the touchpad is your problem the heal of your hand hits the TP and moves the cursor

When I had one I disabled the TP and used the eraser  Now I disable the TP and use a tailless (wireless) mouse)  No problems.

PopPop51 said:
You can make the touch pad less sensitive in Windows 10.
In the Notifications Center (the "balloon" icon at the right end of the task bar) open "all settings, then "Devices, then "Touch Pad".

Tried that.  Didn't make any difference.

John From Detroit said:
So the touchpad is your problem the heal of your hand hits the TP and moves the cursor

When I had one I disabled the TP and used the eraser  Now I disable the TP and use a tailless (wireless) mouse)  No problems.

The heel of my hand is completely off the laptop, resting on the lap tray that I use.  Wish it was that simple!

MSHappyCampers said:
I have a lot of problems with the cursor suddenly changing locations when I'm typing a text and pause briefly.  It goes back to wherever the "I" symbol happens to have been left. 

I've tried a lot of things that people suggested but nothing has helped so far.  Anyone had any success at stopping this?

Remember that the cursor doesn't just jump some random location in the text, but always back to where the "I" symbol happens to be!

I have the same issue and it is likely to happen any time I am typing, whether in a post on here, in notepad, or in word.

PJ Stough said:
I have the same issue and it is likely to happen any time I am typing, whether in a post on here, in notepad, or in word.

If it happens while you're typing, it very likely has to do with brushing a thumb or heel of your palm across the touchpad.
I had to disable the touchpad on my laptop and use a mouse.
Now, it never happens.

What MSHappyCamper is describing sounds very strange. I am curious what is meant by the "I" symbol, exactly.

LarsMac said:
Is this happening in any screen, or in a particular app?
Your OS is windows 10?

I notice it mostly when typing on RV forums because that's where I spend a lot of time, but I think it happens everywhere.  I am using Windows 10.

LarsMac said:
If it happens while you're typing, it very likely has to do with brushing a thumb or heel of your palm across the touchpad.
I had to disable the touchpad on my laptop and use a mouse.
Now, it never happens.

What MSHappyCamper is describing sounds very strange. I am curious what is meant by the "I" symbol, exactly.

the "I" symbol is the mouse pointer when doing text. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom