Cursor jumps around on Windows 10 laptop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MSHappyCampers said:
I use the touchpad, don't have an external mouse.  I disabled the eraser button in the middle of the keypad!
That eraser button is a joystick for the cursor. I also think the issue is from tapping your palm on the touchpad without you realizing it. I second the advice to get a real mouse, but will add to go in the BIOS and disable the touchpad after you get a mouse.

cerd said:
That eraser button is a joystick for the cursor. I also think the issue is from tapping your palm on the touchpad without you realizing it. I second the advice to get a real mouse, but will add to go in the BIOS and disable the touchpad after you get a mouse.

Depending on the model you may be able to set the touchpad to disable when a USB mouse is attached through device settings in control panel. 

Here is the link to The Dell Drivers and BIOS updates.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-e6540-laptop/drivers

There is a touchpad update that came out in March of 2019 and a BIOS update that came out this past December with an Urgent note by it. 

If you have not done a BIOS update before be careful to follow instruction and make sure not to power off or restart the laptop during the update. 

DavidM said:
Here is the link to The Dell Drivers and BIOS updates.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-e6540-laptop/drivers

There is a touchpad update that came out in March of 2019 and a BIOS update that came out this past December with an Urgent note by it.

I did the updates.  Sure hope that helps!  Thanks for the link!

DavidM said:
If you have not done a BIOS update before be careful to follow instruction and make sure not to power off or restart the laptop during the update.

And, Don't try to do BIOS update over Wi-Fi.
Make sure you have a reliable wired connection.

Drivers are the most common culprit for this problem.  I?ve replaced a fair number of touch pads on HP, Dell, and Lenovo laptops so hardware failures are not unheard of.  The setting you might try that I don?t think anybody has mentioned is ?Palm detection?.  Probably in the advanced section of the touchpad device settings.

Wired mice and keyboards are dirt cheap.  My favorite wireless is a Logitech KR400+.  Works on any computer, driverless, and has amazing wireless range.

I have the same problem so I went to "touchpad" in "settings" and went to "additional settings" on the right side of the screen, then clicked on "pointer options tab" on the "mouse properties tab", then clicked the box that says "automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box." then "apply" then "save".

I am not sure it solved the problem totally but it seems a lot better.

8Muddypaws said:
Drivers are the most common culprit for this problem.  I?ve replaced a fair number of touch pads on HP, Dell, and Lenovo laptops so hardware failures are not unheard of.  The setting you might try that I don?t think anybody has mentioned is ?Palm detection?.  Probably in the advanced section of the touchpad device settings.

Wired mice and keyboards are dirt cheap.  My favorite wireless is a Logitech KR400+.  Works on any computer, driverless, and has amazing wireless range.

I use the laptop sitting in my recliner.  Couldn't use a separate mouse!

PJ Stough said:
I have the same problem so I went to "touchpad" in "settings" and went to "additional settings" on the right side of the screen, then clicked on "pointer options tab" on the "mouse properties tab", then clicked the box that says "automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box." then "apply" then "save".

I am not sure it solved the problem totally but it seems a lot better.

Thanks for the tip!  If the updates don't do the job I will try that.  Don't want to do it yet so I can tell what solves the problem.

MSHappyCampers said:
the "I" symbol is the mouse pointer when doing text.

So, if you are in the text window to reply to a comment here on the forum, the cursor marker suddenly just hops to the location on the page where you mouse pointer happens to be. Correct?
And you are using the mouse pad on the laptop keyboard for moving your mouse. Correct?
IF you move your mouse pointer outside of the text window before you start typing, does that have any effect?
(you should be able to see the cursor in the window, and still move you mouse pointer around. Correct? )

I just finished updating my duaghter's old laptop to win 10.
I can play around with it to see if I can reproduce what you're seeing.
I may pester you with a couple of PMs, if you don't mind to see if we can figure it out.

LarsMac said:
So, if you are in the text window to reply to a comment here on the forum, the cursor marker suddenly just hops to the location on the page where you mouse pointer happens to be. Correct?  Yes
And you are using the mouse pad on the laptop keyboard for moving your mouse. Correct?  Yes
IF you move your mouse pointer outside of the text window before you start typing, does that have any effect? Yes, that solves the problem but not practical
(you should be able to see the cursor in the window, and still move you mouse pointer around. Correct? ) Yes

I just finished updating my duaghter's old laptop to win 10.
I can play around with it to see if I can reproduce what you're seeing.
I may pester you with a couple of PMs, if you don't mind to see if we can figure it out. Thanks!

I don't know if it will help but my keyboard has a key with a funny symbol that looks something like a piece of paper in landscape mode with a line through it.  My cursor jumps around when this key is turned off.  My finger or hand can brush around the screen page and the cursor goes there too if the key is turned off.  My suggestion is to look at all your keys and figure out if any of them affect the cursor's function.  I have no idea what the key is called but I always make sure it's on to keep my cursor where it belongs.  Hope you find the solution!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I don't know if it will help but my keyboard has a key with a funny symbol that looks something like a piece of paper in landscape mode with a line through it.  My cursor jumps around when this key is turned off.  My finger or hand can brush around the screen page and the cursor goes there too if the key is turned off.  My suggestion is to look at all your keys and figure out if any of them affect the cursor's function.  I have no idea what the key is called but I always make sure it's on to keep my cursor where it belongs.  Hope you find the solution!

ArdraF

Where is that key located on the keyboard?  There's one kinda like that on the F5 key but when I press "Fn" and that one it turns off the mouse pad on the computer!

Back
Top Bottom