newbie questions on truck camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parke

Just registered Am thinking of buying a northern lite 8-11 Series. Will be towing a jeep.  Am currently towing 26 ft Travel trailer. My truck is a RAM 3500 SRW, short bed, Factory airbags. Payload per sticker is 4200.  Wet weight of camper is roughly 3300 so I should be OK on weight.  My questions are:
1) Anyone ever have a blowout while cruising with a truck camper?  Kind of curious about this.
2) Any comments on Towing travel trailer vs Truck camper.  Things I should watch out for.  Am used to west texas wind unfortunately and I get slowing  down around curves.  Anything else?
3) pros vs cons of wet vs dry shower.
4) Jeep towing, think I will need additional brake for jeep?

Really liked the artic fox but way to heavy. Want to stay within all towing/payload specs. I appreciate in advance any of your comments.

I had a truck camper but back in the 70's  to 80's.

1) I ran 10 ply tires but this was back when they were really 10 ply. So I never had a blowout but I can imagine a front tire blowout would be disastrous. I'd really suggest you check out bias ply tires since you have a truck camper. They really reduce sway in high winds and stand up to off road use better.
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/trailer-tires-whats-difference-radial-bias-ply

2) If you aren't claustrophobic or need luxury the truck camper has a lot of positives. Kinda depends on whether you are an inside or outside person. The ability to go off road and to park anywhere whether beside a lake or at Walmart. No setup time if you leave the camper on the truck during camping season. Turn the key and go. Winter storage is so much smaller than a trailer. I stored mine in the back yard on wood blocks. In most cases the costs are lower and likely better built.

3) Wet shower? Unfortunately they are a real pain but may be the best choice just to reduce space.

4) Most if not all states require a towed vehicle to have their own brakes. You can get a Brake Buddy or similar 2nd hand pretty cheap. I got a "new" Roadmaster brand last fall off EBay for $150 that looks and functions like a new one.

That being said, I sold our truck camper and bought a trailer to make my wife happier. She needed more room. Then I switched to motorhomes both Class A and C. But now I also have a popup. They are way bigger on the inside than they look so the wife is happy. It is compact, way easier to tow, and the SUV gas mileage only drops 2 MPG pulling it. You could pull a popup with your Jeep and leave the gas hog at home. A popup gives you the "tent" camping experience but with A/C, heat, stove, fridge, and water. We like to switch out between the MH and popup. Best of both worlds.

Parke said:
Just registered Am thinking of buying a northern lite 8-11 Series. Will be towing a jeep.  Am currently towing 26 ft Travel trailer. My truck is a RAM 3500 SRW, short bed, Factory airbags. Payload per sticker is 4200.  Wet weight of camper is roughly 3300 so I should be OK on weight.  My questions are:
1) Anyone ever have a blowout while cruising with a truck camper?  Kind of curious about this.
2) Any comments on Towing travel trailer vs Truck camper.  Things I should watch out for.  Am used to west texas wind unfortunately and I get slowing  down around curves.  Anything else?
3) pros vs cons of wet vs dry shower.
4) Jeep towing, think I will need additional brake for jeep?

Really liked the artic fox but way to heavy. Want to stay within all towing/payload specs. I appreciate in advance any of your comments.

Hello Parke!  Now I'm the one just getting into the TC world.  Did you get your 8-11, and how is it working out?

One issue I just discovered is it's not entirely about payload with truck campers.  GM for example recommends against campers for all Colorados  and even some Silverados, and apparently has a sticker in the glove box of Silverados to tell you how much a camper can weigh, if anything.  Not sure when they started that, but I believe it was before they started with the updated truck capacity stickers they've been putting on the door frames since 2020.

Back
Top Bottom