rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: newbie questions on truck camper  (Read 604 times)

Parke

newbie questions on truck camper
« on: February 09, 2020, 06:56:37 PM »
Just registered Am thinking of buying a northern lite 8-11 Series. Will be towing a jeep.  Am currently towing 26 ft Travel trailer. My truck is a RAM 3500 SRW, short bed, Factory airbags. Payload per sticker is 4200.  Wet weight of camper is roughly 3300 so I should be OK on weight.  My questions are:
1) Anyone ever have a blowout while cruising with a truck camper?  Kind of curious about this.
2) Any comments on Towing travel trailer vs Truck camper.  Things I should watch out for.  Am used to west texas wind unfortunately and I get slowing  down around curves.  Anything else?
3) pros vs cons of wet vs dry shower.
4) Jeep towing, think I will need additional brake for jeep?

Really liked the artic fox but way to heavy. Want to stay within all towing/payload specs. I appreciate in advance any of your comments.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:06:39 PM by Parke »

TheBar

• ---
Re: newbie questions on truck camper
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 11:00:52 AM »
I had a truck camper but back in the 70's  to 80's.

1) I ran 10 ply tires but this was back when they were really 10 ply. So I never had a blowout but I can imagine a front tire blowout would be disastrous. I'd really suggest you check out bias ply tires since you have a truck camper. They really reduce sway in high winds and stand up to off road use better.
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/trailer-tires-whats-difference-radial-bias-ply

2) If you aren't claustrophobic or need luxury the truck camper has a lot of positives. Kinda depends on whether you are an inside or outside person. The ability to go off road and to park anywhere whether beside a lake or at Walmart. No setup time if you leave the camper on the truck during camping season. Turn the key and go. Winter storage is so much smaller than a trailer. I stored mine in the back yard on wood blocks. In most cases the costs are lower and likely better built.

3) Wet shower? Unfortunately they are a real pain but may be the best choice just to reduce space.

4) Most if not all states require a towed vehicle to have their own brakes. You can get a Brake Buddy or similar 2nd hand pretty cheap. I got a "new" Roadmaster brand last fall off EBay for $150 that looks and functions like a new one.

That being said, I sold our truck camper and bought a trailer to make my wife happier. She needed more room. Then I switched to motorhomes both Class A and C. But now I also have a popup. They are way bigger on the inside than they look so the wife is happy. It is compact, way easier to tow, and the SUV gas mileage only drops 2 MPG pulling it. You could pull a popup with your Jeep and leave the gas hog at home. A popup gives you the "tent" camping experience but with A/C, heat, stove, fridge, and water. We like to switch out between the MH and popup. Best of both worlds.
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C and Starcraft popup
DW loves camping more than I do

Parke

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »
Thanks!  Am a little concerned over my wife's need for "stuff".

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »
 ;D I hear you!