Strange message

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Just received this. A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by spencerarcher.

View the reply at: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=118673.new;topicseen#new

When I clicked on the link, it took me to a thread that was two years old. 

When I searched for spencerarcher, I find that he joined this AM but has no posts shown. 

While I don't recall specifics, I believe this has happened before and since the ownership of the forum has been changed.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

We've been assaulted by high volume spammers for the last couple days and spencerarcher was one of them.  Dozens of messages posted to existing topics, often old ones.  His posts have been removed

Nowt to do with change of forum ownership. A new member posted a single potential spam reply which was moved earlier this morning by a forum staffer. I suspect that's what happened on the previous occasion you referenced.

I ran into this a few minutes ago on another forum, kicked him out the door without giving him time to collect his coat. ;D We have to be vigilant constantly but I wish these jerks would find constructive ways to pass the time.

On another forum for which I am a mod, I find some days that I spend half an hour just ejecting and cleaning up after spammers.
They can be a tad annoying.

A tip of the Hat to the mods on this forum.  They do a great job of sparing us from most of the spam.

On behalf of the team, thanks for the kind words, especially from someone "in the know". Some folks have no clue what it takes, and are too quick to click the Report to moderator link. They're not aware that we're fortunate to have staffers who are here for long hours &/or in different time zones, including zulu time. So we catch and deal with the stuff, but apparently not fast enough for some folks.

Tom said:
On behalf of the team, thanks for the kind words, especially ftom someone "in the know". Some folks have no clue what it takes, and are too quick to click the Report to moderator link. They're not aware that we're fortunate to have staffers who are here for long hours &/or in different time zones, including zulu time. So we catch and deal with the stuff, but apparently not fast enough for some folks.

So this begs the question.....If it's without question spam....Do the moderators want us to click the "Report to moderators" button.?

Gizmo100 said:
So this begs the question.....If it's without question spam....Do the moderators want us to click the "Report to moderators" button.?
Yes, several times I've clicked on that, figuring that you'd like to know without having to search everywhere. If you prefer I not do that, and that I just ignore spam I can do that -- your preference Tom.

[quote author=Gizmo100]...If it's without question spam....Do the moderators want us to click the "Report to moderators" button.?[/quote]
If it appears we've missed it or aren't dealing with it, by all means report it. Some folks seem to relish clicking the link, and we're often in the middle of dealing with it. I'd say if it's a day old, we probably missed it. If it's a few minutes old, we're either on the case or soon will be when one of the team sees it. We're also in communication with each other. Just have some confidence that the team can and will do their job; Collectively we've been doing it for many years (several of us for 20-25 years each).

FWIW some of us have multiple accounts here (for valid reasons) and, by necessity, they're each associated with a different email address. When, for example, someone clicks a link, I receive multiple emails saying the same thing. Sometimes folks will report multiple messages in the same topic. Repeat this for multiple members clicking the link, and it can distract me from doing the job.

No reason to apologize. I wasn't specifically referring to any individual.

I, too, apologize for clicking the notify button.  I thought of it as a courtesy notice, but now see it is an interruption. 

Margi

Personally, I don't mind getting the Report to Moderator notifications.  It's just an email and I can verify that the item has already been handled or take care of it myself if not.  I'd rather get a superfluous notification than miss some spam.    I'm in the US Eastern Zone and am usually online by 7:30 a.m. EST, so well placed to pick off stuff that gets posted in the wee hours overnight. The moderators on the West Coast typically get the late night stuff.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The moderators on the West Coast typically get the late night stuff.

And our Scottish moderator handles it when the rest of us are sleeping!  ;) :)

I am on other forums that encourage the use of the ?report? button, but I have heard Tom say this before. I know I still have pressed it a few times, not being totally zoned in to what forum I am on.

Instead of clicking the link, you could (send) emails or PMs to Gary  :)

Back
Top Bottom