Umqua lighthouse at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhmahoney

Brewers and I toured the Umqua lighthouse this afternoon. The 65 ft tower stands atop a sand dune bluff south of the river and harbor. It has a huge first order fresnel lens that gives off a signal of 2 white flashes followed by one of red. On the inland side are tall trees. We were advised to return after dark to see the three beams of light shining out to sea and marching through the trees. A magical sight!

The 3 of us were using the railing of the observation platform to brace our cameras for ightime shots when another car came in. Out piled a family with a loud obnoxious woman who would not quit talking and repeatedly obstructed our camera views. I was secretly happy when she tripped on the unlighted steps and landed on her fundament.

Attachments

• UmquaLighthouseAtDusk.jpg
    UmquaLighthouseAtDusk.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 54
Russ

I've added a few more shots of the lighthouse with the red lights dancing around the trees, a close up of the Fresnel lens and a shot of the sunset over the triangle. That is where the Winchester Bay Oyster Farm grows it's oysters.

Attachments

• P1000874 (Small).JPG
    P1000874 (Small).JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 44
  • P1000875 (Small).JPG
    P1000875 (Small).JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 35
  • P1000876 (Small).JPG
    P1000876 (Small).JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 37
  • P1000877 (Small).JPG
    P1000877 (Small).JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 36
You guys sure know how make a (bad) picture-taker like me feel inferior; I'm still trying to get good shots in daylight  :(

BernieD said:
That is where the Winchester Bay Oyster Farm grows it's oysters.

Yes Bernie,
The Umpqua Agriculture project grows oysters there  suspended on ropes so the oysters never touch bottom.  I ordered them at Griffs last night as an appetizer and yes they are smooth with no grit at all.  Terry chose to order fried clam strips and Russ ordered the deep fried oysters, just not the same!

Betty

Betty Brewer said:
Yes Bernie,
The Umpqua Agriculture project grows oysters there  suspended on ropes so the oysters never touch bottom.  I ordered them at Griffs last night as an appetizer and yes they are smooth with no grit at all.  Terry chose to order fried clam strips and Russ ordered the deep fried oysters, just not the same!

Betty

You mean you ate them raw??? Ick.

Wendy

Oh, Russell -- you never fail to put a smile on my face.  I had to google "fundament" to learn for sure that it meant exactly what it sounded like it should mean.  :D 

If you have time after the FMCA rally, check at Costco to see if they still have Alaskan razor clams for sale for $7.99 per pound.  We bought ours in Eugene.  We recently paid $15 per pound at the Winchester Bay oyster farm store and again in Reedsport at the fish market on the corner.  Shake them in seasoned flour, dip them in egg with a little milk, role them in Italian bread crumbs and fry them in an olive oil/butter combo just long enough to make the breading golden brown.  If you overcook them, they'll taste like inner tubes.  Done right, they taste a lot like abalone.  If you have leftovers (fat chance at our house), they're good cold the next day for a snack.

Margi

Russ sure does have a way with words Margi  ;D

Thanks for sharing the photos.  Are you sure Terry or even Russ didn't instigate the trip.? ;D ;D

As for the oyster I think we would just as soon settle for fried clams.

wendycoke said:
You mean you ate them raw??? Ick.

How else would you eat them  ;D ;D. I go thru a pint container all by myself.

The only better oysters on the coast were the Kumomotos at Clausen Oysters in North Bend.

The thought of oysters without sand/grit is inviting, but do they have the salt taste? Some friends who live on the coast in Santa Cruz, CA recently brought some fresh oysters to our boat and they were outstanding, although very slightly gritty.

Folks who didn't grow up on the coast don't really appreciate seafood  ;D

Having grown up in a small country that was bounded on 3 sides by water, seafood was an integral part of our diet  ;)

Tom said:
The thought of oysters without sand/grit is inviting, but do they have the salt taste? Some friends who live on the coast in Santa Cruz, CA recently brought some fresh oysters to our boat and they were outstanding, although very slightly gritty.

What makes the Umpqua oysters so good is that they are grown in the sea (with a salty taste) and don't touch the ocean floor or pilings.

They sound good Bernie. Must make a note to try them if we're in the area.

I'm with Ron. I'll stick with clams as Mo's clam chowder.

Margi, your fried clams sound delicious... but also sound like too much work for this bachelor!

Betty and I are testing recipes in my new adventium oven. The work load is more my style: oil the black metal tray, place meat on tray, push a few buttons, remove and serve when the bell rings.

Tonight we had boneless leg of lamb with rosemary. Betty did baked potatoes,  a salad, and a superb wine from Sandpoint Idaho. A few nights ago I did strip steaks the same way and topped them with lion's mane mushrooms sauteed with onion and garlic to which I added the meat drippings...yum.

In both cases the meat came out delicious but a stage too done (medium well). I will start adjusting the times back a bit next experiment.

What new aluminum oven?  I must have missed something?

OK, next time we get together, Tom will fry razor clams for you (if we can find some at the time, of course) and you can demo your new oven for us.  Deal?  :D 

Code:
oil the black metal tray,

Russ,
When I'm using the metal tray.........I place my food on a pizza pan.  And place the pan on the metal tray.  I think is makes for easier clean up.  And if you have more than one thing to cook, you can than use the tray, or another pizza pan.  I have been very successful using this method with speedcook.  But than I'm just a simple cook.  Cube steak and brats. 

Barb

rhmahoney said:
I'm with Ron. I'll stick with clams as Mo's clam chowder.

Russ

I just had to move Mo's down to second place. While driving around the Tillamook area we stopped for lunch in Netsart at the Schooner Inn. As good as Mo's clam chowder is, Schooner's was even better. Mo's does have the advantage of sites close to where we've stayed. Schooner had excellent fried razor clams and a fried oyster Po' Boy to die for :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom