Umqua lighthouse at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
Folks who didn't grow up on the coast don't really appreciate seafood  ;D

Having grown up in a small country that was bounded on 3 sides by water, seafood was an integral part of our diet  ;)

I love seafood....just not raw. Best thing about living in Gulf Breeze was when Mike stopped at the shrimp boats on the way home from work and bought shrimp straight off the boat for $1.99 a pound.

Wendy

I'm not into raw fish, but I like oysters. No mad cow or hoof & mouth disease with seafood  ;)

Tom said:
I'm not into raw fish, but I like oysters. No mad cow or hoof & mouth disease with seafood  ;)

No, just excessive amounts of pesticides and mercury.  :(

OK, I stick with my laverbread (seaweed). It's loaded with all kinds of "good" stuff. But I like it with cockles, so I'm back to the shellfish issue  :(

If your laverbread came out of the ocean, then it's probably contaminated. So you might just as well eat what you want. But if you're interested in what's ok to eat and what's not you could look here. I try to stick with the eco-friendly ones, but then, I also skip eating cow and pig.

Wendy

Well, last time I checked, seaweed does come from the ocean Wendy  ;D  But it doesn't contain mercury that's ingested and retained by fish.

Methinks there are just too many scaremongers that are making money out of their proclamations.

wendycoke said:
No, just excessive amounts of pesticides and mercury.  :(
Probably not any worse than what is allowed in our food chain now thanks to the incompetence and payoffs we have to contend with. 

wendycoke said:
I love seafood....just not raw. Best thing about living in Gulf Breeze was when Mike stopped at the shrimp boats on the way home from work and bought shrimp straight off the boat for $1.99 a pound.

Wendy

We bought fresh caught albacore tuna right off the boat in Newport. $2/lb plus $3 filleting. We like sushi/sashimi so the fish was delicious.

Tom said:
Methinks there are just too many scaremongers that are making money out of their proclamations.

Tom,

Ain't it the truth... if I worried about every thing someone warned me about eating,  I'd weigh only 95 pounds.  Hmmmm wait maybe there is something to that!  Seriously the health rules seem to change from  month to month.  I, for one  enjoyed my raw oysters.  The Upqua farm is 20% fresh water and 80% sal****er as the river meets the sea.  I believe we are all entitled to our preferences , however we will live with the consequences of our taste buds. 

As a side note, when we were kids, it was a family tradition to have oyster stew on Christmas eve.  None of us kids much cared for the oysters, so my mom filled our bowls with  lots of butter, oyster crackers, milk and only a tiny cooked oyster.  The other day when I was eating my raw oysters from the Umpqua farm I longed for the Christmas presents that were certainly next to be opened. Amazing what emotions can be triggered by foods.  My parents have  long since  passed on  but the memories created, linger still!
Betty

Betty,

Isn't it amazing how the taste and smell of food can bring back memories.

When we first moved to California we couldn't buy malt vinegar (as used on UK-style fish & chips) in the stores, although it's commonplace today. Some fish & chip places had it for use by their customers and a very few would sell you a bottle if you asked nicely (aka begged). I recall one day we were passing a fish & chip place in Sausalito in the early 80's and I stood on the sidewalk outside enjoying the smell of malt vinegar on chips (aka fries). It brought back a lot of memories of the old country.

All this because Russ snapped a photo of a lighthouse  ;D

Mike (ex-f-221) said:
Wrapped in newspaper?

Mike, nowadays they use fake newspaper. Back in the old days, when folks had to either walk to the fish & chip shop or take a bus, newspaper served the purpose of an insulator to keep the food hot while getting home. Of course, the newsprint was not in direct contact with the food; There was at least one (usually several) layers of "greaseproof paper" immediately around the fish & chips.

BernieD said:
We bought fresh caught albacore tuna right off the boat in Newport. $2/lb plus $3 filleting. We like sushi/sashimi so the fish was delicious.

Our upcoming trip gets getting farther and farther west. I love tuna and will gladly drive out of my way for that fresh tuna you bought !! Of course, I prefer it cooked, usually on the bbq with teriyaki sauce or olive oil and rosemary. But as Betty said, to each her own.

Guess those lighthouse pictures got us all thinking about seafood.

Wendy

Margi: Not an aluminum oven, an Advantium oven. It is a microwave/convection like device. Its claim to fame is the speedcook setting that combines 10-30% microwaves with  radiant heat from ceramic heaters and halogen lights. The microwaves speed up the cooking and the heating elements do the browning, all with almost no spatters.

Margi<<OK, next time we get together, Tom will fry razor clams for you (if we can find some at the time, of course) and you can demo your new oven for us.  Deal?>>

sounds like a very good irea.

Barb<<When I'm using the metal tray.........I place my food on a pizza pan.  And place the pan on the metal tray.  I think is makes for easier clean up.>>

Thanks for this tip!

Bernie<<I just had to move Mo's down to second place. While driving around the Tillamook area we stopped for lunch in Netsart at the Schooner Inn.>>

Now I have a reason to return to the northern Oregon coast.

The rule of thumb for food is if it tastes good, spit it out, it's probably bad for you.

Talk about thread drift :)

Oh great, Russell .... now the eyes are going too. (Advantium) :D

Ned:  Reminds me of the old days.  ;)  At least we stayed near the coast while we wandered off topic.  Sorry.  :-\

Margi

Ned said:
The rule of thumb for food is if it tastes good, spit it out, it's probably bad for you.

Talk about thread drift :)

What thread drift ??? The Umpqua oysters beds are best viewed from the base of the Umpqua lighthouse and the Cape Mears lighthouse is just down the road from the Schooner Inn ;D ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom