Propane Smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

We're in Cottonwood, AZ.  On the way here we stopped and had our propane tank filled.  Once we arrived we went to 'Wild Hog' BBQ for dinner (good place).  When we got back there was a note on our door that there was a strong propane smell coming from our rig. 

I checked the fill and overfill port with soapy water but there was no leak.  I found a few comments online about overpressure valves in the regulator venting and I just wanted to check with the experts here if that's a real thing.  Is that a real thing on motorhomes?

There is an overpressure valve in the tank itself, not in the regulator.  It's designed to vent excess pressure if the liquid propane in the tank expands too much and raises the tank pressure beyond normal limits.

If the valve did vent, you won't find anything with a leak test as it seals tight once the overpressure is relieved. 

Some places open the vent valve(yeah, I know it's not really a vent)on the tank, some don't.  I've noticed that when they open the valve during filling a residual smell lingers for a half hour or so, especially if the guy lets quite a bit of liquid gas escape before he shuts the valve).  If it wasn't too far from the propane place to the BBQ place, maybe that's all it was.

Two different things have been mentioned here. One is the over-pressure relief valve on the tank which vents to prevent an explosion to to extreme pressure. It's designed to open in extremes, like an external fire causing a huge expansion of the gas in the tank.  Very, very rare for it to vent in any lesser situation, but it may [theoretically, anyway] be possible of the tank was way overfilled.  The other thing is the 80% "spitter" valve, which is supposed to be open as the tank is being filled. When liquid propane reaches the spitter valve, the tank is at the 80% level, which is "full" for propane. Then the 80% spitter valve is closed.  If it wasn't closed tightly, fumes will leak. 

Thanks Gary. 

The first thing I did was to open and close the 'spitter valve' tighter.  By 9PM last night the smell had mostly dissipated.  Then I crawled under the rig to get at the pressure regulator and could smell it there.  I'm going to put some soapy water in a spray bottle and try that area for leaks. 

When I had a similar issue the problem was diaphragm in the regulator leaking.

Whatever it was, it isn't now.  No trace of odor anymore.

It's probably time to replace the regulator.  I'll crawl under there to get a picture and try to find a replacement.  But since there doesn't appear to be any immediate problem(s) I'll replace it and the OPV when we get home.

(I just counted on my finger and toes and figured out how old it is, next year we'll have a 'Sweet 16' party)

Our previous rig had an odor like that once, it was about 12-13 years old at the time. My wife could smell it but I couldn't until I walked around it to where the breeze was just right. I crawled under it, traced the line from the tank and found it had rubbed the stair housing enough to cause a small hole. After shutting it off I cut out the bad portion and spliced in a new section (with solder).

I too was going to suggest replacing the regulator if it is still the original based on age, as the rubber diaphragms tend to dry rot over time.  Replacing every 10 years is a good rule of thumb.

Both previous owners replaced the regulator on our propane tank and there was still an order which was very apparent when the hatch door was opened.  We also replaced the regulator before finding the leak.  It was leaking at the plug that the sending unit sits on.  Fix requires removing the tank and inserting new plug.  Or as I suspect in our case, just putting on new joint compound.  That $500 repair didn't last and it's leaking again.  The service center is going to do it again.  But I suspect this time they'll just tighten the plug.  The tank needs to be removed to position the sending unit correctly.  It sits inside the tank and will not be accurate if installed when laying on its side.  At least that was the story I got. 

Back
Top Bottom