Need some truck tires. LT 265/70R18. Load range E

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I picked up a foreign object in one of my truck tires today. I have no idea what it is except that it looks like a huge rivet. The solid head is about 3/4" Dia., the shank is about 3/8" Dia. and the length is about 1". The shank was hollow all the way to the head. 
Took my truck to the tire guy near me and he said the tire could not be repaired especially seeing where I tow a 13000 lb 5v'r.  I was planning on replacing all of them this summer after I got home but it looks like I may have to start now. The place was a GoodYear tire place but he sells several brands. He recommended NITTO tires. I never heard of these. Anyone have any input?
I had put on 4 Cooper Discoverer A/T 3,  4 years ago. I now only have 2 left which are on the front.  Last spring going back to NH, I picked up a huge nail in the sidewall and it was not repairable and now today, another one bit the dust so now I have only 2 left of the original 4. They have 40,000 miles on them but still look decent.  The Cooper tires wear real good but they are a little aggressive so that makes them a little noisy and gives a little rough ride.  So for now, I'm looking for at least 2 new tires for the rear. I'll replace the last 2 remaining Cooper tires when I get home.  I'd like tires not as aggressive as the Cooper's so I can get a better ride.  I never go off road so I'm not sure if I need A/T (all Terrain) tires.  Anyone recommend tires for me?  I believe I don't want any Michelins because of the sidewall cracking issues.

I have the Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W best tires I ever ran on my 02 F250, I do have to have a A/T tire around my property.

My neighbor has Nitto?s on his truck.  He loves them.  Here is the ?highway grappler...

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/dura-grappler-highway-terrain-light-truck-tire/

I have Nitto Dura Grapplers, on my 2000 F250, I am on my second set, first set had a DOT recall on them about 3.5 years after I bought them, and were replaced free of charge. Overall a good tire, I would buy them again for my use which is 95% on pavement, with occasional towing.  They do whine a bit more than a highway tire, but it is not bad.

Rene.  Also plug your truck info into to Tirerack.com , great unbiased reviews for more research.  I've never heard of Nitto tires, might be a southern trend, might have difficulty finding them up north if you have any issues.  And not knocking Goodyear Tire shops, but around hear, they tend to be on the pricey side. After you decide, you might call around unless you are in a pinch, ask for the 'out the door' price.

SpencerPJ said:
Rene.  Also plug your truck info into to Tirerack.com , great unbiased reviews for more research.  I've never heard of Nitto tires, might be a southern trend, might have difficulty finding them up north if you have any issues.  And not knocking Goodyear Tire shops, but around hear, they tend to be on the pricey side. After you decide, you might call around unless you are in a pinch, ask for the 'out the door' price.

Thanks Paul. I  will do that.

Isaac-1 said:
I have Nitto Dura Grapplers, on my 2000 F250, I am on my second set, first set had a DOT recall on them about 3.5 years after I bought them, and were replaced free of charge. Overall a good tire, I would buy them again for my use which is 95% on pavement, with occasional towing.  They do whine a bit more than a highway tire, but it is not bad.

Did you pay around $240.00 each?

I talked to my tire guy back home this morning and we decided to buy a used tire to get me home then I'll go see him and decide which tire is best for my situation.  I did get a used one today and I'll use it as a spare. Thanks for all your help.

I also have the Cooper AT3s - very happy with them. I'm occasionally in light off-road so the tread is good but yes they're noisy. If I went highway tread I'd still look at Coopers. Agree with you about Michelins  - last ones I had were on a pickup, had to be removed for severe cracking with at least 50% tread left.

I administered a light truck fleet in another life and found the Toyo Open Country the best for our needs. Good handling and reasonably quiet on the highway yet got us where we needed to go in less than ideal conditions. It also stood up to the abuse those clowns heaped on it.

Rene T said:
Did you pay around $240.00 each?

I am thinking the price was around $600 for 4 tires, from Discount Tire Direct and had a local shop mount and balance them for another $75, though this has been a few years ago now.  (I just checked current price from them delivered, but not mounted is $740)

Isaac-1 said:
I am thinking the price was around $600 for 4 tires, from Discount Tire Direct and had a local shop mount and balance them for another $75, though this has been a few years ago now.  (I just checked current price from them delivered, but not mounted is $740)

Thanks. That's $185 each. Not real bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom