rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Black tank roof vent  (Read 682 times)

Frank B

• ---
Black tank roof vent
« on: February 16, 2020, 01:52:17 PM »
I am beginning to get the feeling that the vent for the black tank on our unit may be all or partially blocked. Are these vents anything other than just a piece of pipe that vents to the roof? For instance, can I just undo the roof cap, and run water from a hose down there to clean it?

Thanks.

Frank
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

SpencerPJ

• ---
Re: Black tank roof vent
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 02:53:42 PM »
Yup, the pipe might not be strait up, but it is just a vent, and yes you can run water down it.  What makes you think you have a blockage? 
2020 F150 Lariat 502a, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 08:05:31 PM »
One other possibility is the pipe has slipped down into the tank.  If the end of the vent is below water level, it is no longer a vent.  Another possibility is a blocked vent cap.  That could be bugs or a bad vent cap.  Your plan to go up top and pull the cap is a great way to start.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »
I've been a member for about 9 years and I don't believe I've ever seen anyone who had a plugged vent pipe not that it can't happen. Most times a slow draining tank is caused by a poo pyramid, a drain valve issue or as Gordon stated, the vent pipe has dropped into the tank. If that's the case, you'll see that when you take off the vent cap. The end of the pipe should be close to the same elevation as the roof if it has not dropped.
The infamous poo pyramid usually is the culprit in a black water tank draining issue.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:26:43 AM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 09:04:33 PM »
Tank drains fine, but there is a lot of 'suction' in the process. Seems to want to equalize by drawing air up the sewer hose rather than down from the vent. A lot of smell in the trailer as well as the tank fills up. One would expect a lot of that to vent.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 10:00:37 PM »
If the problem is not in the vent you might try one of these.  They create suction up the vent by the vacuum created by the wind blowing past the venturi vent.

I have had them on all of my RVs and they seem to help in my opinion.

Bill Waugh
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road
Now just another Lurker

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 10:03:54 PM »
If the problem is not in the vent you might try one of these.  They create suction up the vent by the vacuum created by the wind blowing past the venturi vent.

I have had them on all of my RVs and they seem to help in my opinion.

Hey, great idea! They ought to have some of those in Quartzite somewhere!

Thanks!
1.2 kw solar

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 11:00:51 PM »
Itís a Camco product
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Henry J Fate

• ---
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 05:42:21 AM »
If you are not getting a good flush when dumping and it seems that air is migrating into the tank through the dump hose, I would conclude you have a venting problem. There should be a continous nice flow out of the tank as air comes in through the vent. A helpful observation would be if the dump flow continues to struggle during the entire dump or does it free up as the tank volume decreases. If the dump flow is bad start to finish then you may have a blockage somewhere either in the tank or possibly the vent pipe. If you find it frees up as the volume decreases it could indicate that you have a vent pipe that may have slipped past the grommet and into the tank.

Rene has offered good info on the venting issue. The vent device that keeps smells out of the cabin by an airflow up and out will not help with a bad vent but works well with a good vent.

If you can get an eyeball on the vent pipe near or at the point of entry into the tank, you may be able to find evidence of a vent pipe that has slipped past the grommet and has fallen further into the tank.

I would also give the tank a good cleaning by inserting a flexible spray device that can loosen and break up any solids. It is also a good idea that while you are dumping with the dump valve open, spray a good force of water down the vent pipe from the roof.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 05:45:15 AM by Henry J Fate »
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

Robert K

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 06:03:01 AM »
I allways got a smell when dumping sometimes a little sometimes alot.7 years of checking and trying things, including running water back down.
 Then I noticed the 1 1/2" vent pipe comes up into the vent cap and there is alot of open area around it. I closed it of with 1"foam rod and dicor caulk to hold it in place . No smells when dumping now.
Jwid

Bob
Bob&Sandy
96 Safari Serengeti
3126 Cat
2011 jeep wrangler
Western New York

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 06:24:49 AM »
Make sure you don't have an exaust fan running when you flush. That will pull air from the tank.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2020 Jeep Gladiator - Pun'kin
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)- Sold
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Henry J Fate

• ---
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 12:53:23 PM »
Good point Ernie and if the fan vent is reversible, have it bring air in rather than out.

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 03:22:23 PM »
Good point Ernie and if the fan vent is reversible, have it bring air in rather than out.

Yeah, I have learned that the hard way. :-(

Even with one of the fantastic fans blowing into the unit, we still get a pretty rank odor when the toilet is getting full. Part of it I realize is because the tank is getting full. We used some of that Thetford formaldehyde deodorant, and it helps, but does not eliminate the issue. I do think it is time that I check the vent pipe on both the black and the grey tanks.

I am surprised that a vent pipe could slip into the tank! Are these things not glued in place in the top of the tank? And then attached to the wall somewhere on its way out the top? If not, then it would appear that a LOT of corners were cut during assembly!

1.2 kw solar

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 03:29:50 PM »
So if a vent pipe has slipped down into the tank, how do you pull it back up again?
1.2 kw solar

Henry J Fate

• ---
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 03:38:07 PM »
Common practice was to use rubber slip couplings that fit into the tank hole with an edge the stops the pipe from going further into the tank. With age, a good amount of weight and some other factors, they are known to slip past the intended stop and fall further into the tank. Once the tank level fills to the pipe, the vent stops working. It's usefulness depends how far it falls into the tank and where the vent is located in the tank.

My coach fell victim to that. I replaced the rubber grommet, fasteners and re routed some of my piping for the grey tank which solved my problem but my problems were not solely due to the fallen vent pipe.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:41:48 PM by Henry J Fate »

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 03:50:25 PM »
If I was doing it this is what I would do.

First remove the cap at the top of the vent.

Inspect the plastic pipe to see if you can tell if the edge is below the roof line and see if there is room at the top of the pipe to use a tool like a pair of pliers to grip the edge of the pipe.  Pull up gently because you do not want to make things worse by disconnecting a vent pipe that is glued to the top of the tank.

If you cannot get a grip on the edge you might try to place something inside the pipe to get a grip.  What ever you do, do not use something that is smaller than the pile for its entire length because if you drop it down the pipe you will have a real issue getting it out.

Now that I have probably scared you sufficiently......Good luck
Bill Waugh
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road
Now just another Lurker

Henry J Fate

• ---
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 03:51:29 PM »
Each vent design will require a different strategy. Mine wasn't easy to repair. The only good thing was that the point of entry was under the dinette. I had to cut the horizontal entry piping out and then cut a bigger hole in the floor so I could get my hand to the tank to install the new rubber. I wound up changing the whole design it was not thought out very well. Each repair will probably be unique.

Henry J Fate

• ---
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 04:08:22 PM »
Haha well ya that will scare the repair man off. :-).

The design in my rig is a single vent to the roof which vents both black and gray. That was their first mistake. The second mistake they made was that part of the gray vent was also a waste carrying pipe which raised hell in my rig. I modified the design to eliminate the vent from carrying any waste. Since both black and gray vents were connected both the black and gray entry pipes had fallen deeper into the tank. I severed the connection to the roof by cutting the pipe in the wall. Jacked the plumbing back up to where the designers had intended, glued in a slip coupling then re-fastened. I wasn't thrilled About disturbing the roof penetration as I guessed the plumbing had been like this shortly after birth 20 years ago. I spent many days laying out my plan and a full day to get the task done. It has worked very well. I do know that the black tank grommet is bad too but I cannot easily get at that so after I  relocated and secured, I dumped a huge amount of sealer down through the floor hole and around the pipe. The pooppy smells are much better now. Materials were cheap it was a time thing. Laying out took awhile.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 04:20:14 PM by Henry J Fate »

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 04:33:56 PM »
Oh my....

You guys are scaring the butt off me! And now I'm going to have to worry about it all the way back to Canada. Because I sure ain't going to start this before I get back home!  ;D
1.2 kw solar

Henry J Fate

• ---
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 04:46:08 PM »
Haha. Hopefully none of the above is your problem and most likely not but it will give you things to look for when you start checking things out.

Robert K

• ---
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 09:50:45 AM »
Pretty easy to check around pipe at roof vent. If theres a gap even stuffing a rag around it will work while you are sitting .see if it makes a difference. Sealing mine has completely stop odor

Bob
Bob&Sandy
96 Safari Serengeti
3126 Cat
2011 jeep wrangler
Western New York