What a bad show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you haven't done so, locking down your credit might be a wise thing to do since he has all of your personal information.

RRR said:
If you haven't done so, locking down your credit might be a wise thing to do since he has all of your personal information.
I just went to all three credit agencies to lock down my credit and what a hassle. The three credit companies are all sneaky. Two of the three signed me up for a $25 a month credit card monitoring service even though I specifically did not want those. It is hell to stop to the services and to get the CC company to reverse the charges. They will all tell you that you must give them a CC number to lock the account and then sign you up anyway.

I have an automatically renewing fraud alert at Equifax.  If anyone tries to get credit in my name, positive ID is required. It doesn't cost anything,  although I do subscribe to their credit and score reports. The fraud alerts renew every 90 days and Equifax forwards the notice to the other two major credit reporting companies.

RVMommaTo6 said:
I'm still working on it. I need to file forms from NY to get the case reopened to then plead not guilty. The DMV, surprisingly enough, has been helpful and easy to work with but town court uses dinosaurs to do everything so they have been very difficult to deal with. Everything is taking forever and "I'll call you right back" turns into me making calls every day until I catch her answering her phone every once in a blue moon. No voicemails have been returned. And I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to ever email this woman.
  NY is going to be a bear to get this straightened out! First get you a new SS#! I second the motion on an attorney. Find out what you need to do for the ID theft; that is a federal offense!

Robert K said:
I don't think you can get a new ss#

From the SS website....

We can assign a different number only if:

Sequential numbers assigned to members of the same family are causing problems;

More than one person is assigned or using the same number;

A victim of identity theft continues to be disadvantaged by using the original number;

There is a situation of harassment, abuse or life endangerment;

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-02220

Oldgator73 said:
Better call Saul (Netflix).  :)
And put him on speed dial lol

NY_Dutch said:
    They are from western NY as I am we don't have an accent.

Unless I ask my Kentucky relatives

We always specify that we're from upstate NY to differentiate us from the downstate "city folks". If needed, we also mention that our cottage is closer to Montreal than it is the NYC. :)

I always say, closer to Niagara Falls even though I'm over an hour away, but it gets the point across (80% of the time) that I'm not in Manhattan.

scottydl said:
I agree that this is textbook identity theft, in every legal definition. They might as well have opened a credit card in your name, run up the bill, and then refused to pay. (Better check your credit report for that possibility too!)

The girlfriend is just as guilty as your ex, assuming he provided the information and she gave it to the officer while pretending to be you. So sorry this happened to you, but likely the only way to completely resolve it will be through legal channels. A police report (documenting the identity theft discovered after-the-fact) and an attorney to help navigate the system to get it all straightened out. As a crime victim, you should be able to document your expenses and have that amount be court-ordered as restitution with the disposition of the court case (hopefully a guilty plea).

Oh he's done that before too. I'm telling you, this guy gets away with EVERYTHING. As for court ordered restitution, he's been court ordered to pay me lots of different money that he owes me. Those court orders mean nothing. They don't guarantee payment. He just paid me money he owed me from 2015 and the only reason he paid it is because he's suing me for custody and knows he needed to pay that first.

I keep a very close eye on my credit. I have credit karma and check it weekly ever since "the credit card incident"

RVMommaTo6 said:
As for court ordered restitution, he's been court ordered to pay me lots of different money that he owes me. Those court orders mean nothing. They don't guarantee payment. He just paid me money he owed me from 2015 and the only reason he paid it is because he's suing me for custody and knows he needed to pay that first.

The difference (maybe) this time is that it would be a criminal case. In most states, if you refuse to pay the fees tied to a criminal conviction or plea, you go to jail. That's different from family court or divorce court, when the settlement is civil and ultimately between private parties. Those rules probably differ state by state though, and I'm not familiar with all of them...

RVMommaTo6 said:
And put him on speed dial lol

I read between the lines. Yes, you need a lawyer. 

Seems like most are selling time more than they are selling results and resolutions. 

I am glad I have never had to deal with one at least in the last 35 years anyway. 

I had a friend of my Dad the one time I needed one, back in the day for a Divorce.

I saw people at work using them and at the $300 an hour range, the bill stacks up quick.

The Sun will shine again.  Good things happen to Good People.

Good Luck Momma.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom