Coronavirus and traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monarch4me

My wife and I are planing a trip in our RV  to Florida from calif to visit her mom plus take in the sites on the way, we?re kinda concerned about this virus going around, so we?re taking precautions like not eating in restaurants and sleeping in out RV, are we being to paranoid? Anyone else feel the same? Thanks.

Yes and no, best guess indicates that this Coronavirus has about a 3 week incubation period before becoming symptomatic, the bad side is that it is contagious before then.  Based on my observations of closed environments like cruise ships, which are prone to rapid spread of disease anyway, it seems that 1 infected person in such close living quarters may infect a dozen more, who will in turn each infect another dozen before the first symptoms show up, add another week of delay for correct diagnosis in a large population, and that would put the roughly projected number of infected people at 12x12x12, or 1,728 from a single infected person after 3 weeks.  Given that as of 2 days ago there were only 15 confirmed cases in the US, and those are under isolation, I think it is way too early to panic about this one.  Though I personally would not be planning any vacations to tourist sites that attract lots of international tourist for the spring and summer.  When we see 1,000 confirmed cases in the US, then it may be time to start taking more active precautions, as that will likely mean there are a 1,000,000 infected people out there to spread it, and 2 weeks after that it will be in every small town in the country, right now it is WAY down there on chances of things that will kill you in the US, way below lighting strikes.

In my opinion you're overreacting, but you have to do what puts you at ease. Unless you avoid all contact with other people there is some measure of risk.

Here is a current map of cases confirmed wordwide by Johns Hopkins - if you click on the country down the left side you'll see that there are 29 in the US as of today

True, but that may only be because the more deadly strain of this virus has not escaped China yet.  The worrisome part to me is that doctors and other medical professionals in China are dying from this now, which means that basic common sense precautions are not enough to stop this from spreading person to person.

People should be more concerned about influenza. More than 10,000 have died from the flu in the US this flu season. In 2018 more than 80 000 died from flu in the US.
Get your flu shot and get on with your life.

I agree with that, I know an otherwise healthy woman in her mid 30's that spent a week in the hospital with the flu this year.

SeilerBird said:
Only four deaths outside of China so I would call that being paranoid.
Coming from a man who was feeling ill and concerned  ;) ;D ;D  Good to see a post, don't be a stranger.

To the OP, I agree, I'd be much more concerned over getting the FLU.  When do you plan this trip?  The FLU season usually tapers off in March.  Practice good hygiene, wash hands, etc.   

Just an FYI video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIL5m5XznNY

I too think you are overreacting though I support the "Sleep in the RV"  but for other reasons. including you got it, why not use it?

True the virus is a serious issue if you are exposed and contract. but they are closing in on treatment and cure.  And the type of travel you are planing seriously limits exposure.

As for eating in Restaurants.... I'd not change your normal pattern there.

Per Dr Fauci a vaccination is at least 1 year away. That was on CBS this morning.

I find that when I do what my wife says, even if she?s wrong, I stay out of trouble, mostly. So, if my wife said it was dangerous to travel now because of the Mexican beer virus I would humbly agree with her.  As you can see from my signature at the bottom I have the older model wife. She knows a lot. 8)

Reality check:  if we had stopped RVing 25 years ago when we heard multiple booga-boogas, we would never have seen the sites we saw nor made the life-long friends we made while on the road.  When we began this journey,Tom was 61 and I was 55.  We're now 86 and 80. 

If you wish to worry about everything that can happen, go ahead,  it will keep you safe .... and you will miss out on a LOT. 

Your Choice:  Worry about everything ... or get out and do it.  You could get killed crossing the street tomorrow or get that Big C diagnosis tomorrow, or experience the freedom of retirement to the fullest.  Up to you.

Tom and Margi said:
Reality check:  if we had stopped RVing 25 years ago when we heard multiple booga-boogas, we would never have seen the sites we saw nor made the life-long friends we made while on the road.  When we began this journey,Tom was 61 and I was 55.  We're now 86 and 80. 

If you wish to worry about everything that can happen, go ahead,  it will keep you safe .... and you will miss out on a LOT. 

Your Choice:  Worry about everything ... or get out and do it.  You could get killed crossing the street tomorrow or get that Big C diagnosis tomorrow, or experience the freedom of retirement to the fullest.  Up to you.
Now you?ve done it; bunch of folks will be afraid to cross the street now.

Someone told me today that a good way to get through a long checkout line at a store is to cough loudly and mention how much worse it's gotten since you got back from China. Guaranteed to make you next at the cashier. If there's still one there... ;)

NY_Dutch said:
Someone told me today that a good way to get through a long checkout line at a store is to cough loudly and mention how much worse it's gotten since you got back from China. Guaranteed to make you next at the cashier. If there's still one there... ;)

That's some funny stuff right there!

Back
Top Bottom