Indiana Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaughisa000

Good Morning you Beautiful RVers. I am currently looking for a camper, but still have a tent. So since I probably will not find the camper I want before camping season I figured I would ask a few questions.
1) What are the best places in Indiana to go tent camping?
2) When I get a camper, where should I visit first!
3) For two people how much grey and black tank space would I need? I do not want to constantly look for full hookups site that cost more whenever I want to go.

Thank you,

Hello, Indy guy hear.
Camping, any parks.  Turkey Run / Shades, Brown County, McCormicks Creek.  Are you north, Central, or South?
- Tanks, not many state parks with full hook-up.  As a general, we simply zip to the showerhouse with flip flops and swim suit.  Mostly use our tanks for bathroom and cooking.

Hey Spencer,

Do you spend all your free time on this forum? I swear you have answered every question I have asked. I am south of Indy about 30-45 minutes. I am really close to brown county state park, and I love it there. That is probably one of the most beautiful natural areas in the entire state. I definitely want to take my wife to turkey run this year she has never been. They have some of my favorite hiking trails there. Do you have much experience with tent camping? I have not gone since I was a kid before my family got their first camper. I do not remember much about it. But I do know it can get pretty warm or pretty cold.

Thank  you,

LOL, ya, I'm at a home PC through out the day, check in a few times each day. Tent camping, use to all the time, until late 90s, the last very wet weekend in a tent with 2 small kids, upgraded to class C then, never on ground since.  Cliffty Falls and Versailes are pretty decent too.  You guys will love turkey run.
If you want electric site, you totally need to book 5 months out for the weekend (better sites anyway).  Shades is a primitive park, I've heard great reviews, just no electric, wife wants electric ;)

https://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2392.htm. 

vaughisa000 said:
Good Morning you Beautiful RVers. I am currently looking for a camper, but still have a tent. So since I probably will not find the camper I want before camping season I figured I would ask a few questions.
1) What are the best places in Indiana to go tent camping?
2) When I get a camper, where should I visit first!
3) For two people how much grey and black tank space would I need? I do not want to constantly look for full hookups site that cost more whenever I want to go.

Thank you,

What sort of camper are you looking for?

Why do you think you won?t find one?

Hello
Lynx0849 said:
What sort of camper are you looking for?

Why do you think you won't find one?

Well I want something light enough to be pulled by a 2016 f150 with a 2.7L. Which really limits me. I would prefer no slides, less work to deal with. And I want something durable. Which is hard to come by in the camper industry. I like the coachmen freedom express 204RD. It is made with Azdel, and an aluminum cage. It is light and seems pretty decent. But I would also be fine with a pop up with a bathroom shower setup. I wouldn't mind the s*** and shower setup. I think it would be pretty convenient honestly with the hole seat in the shower thing. But I do want a shower and toilet. (I dint shower in the camper often, but some parks just dint have nice bathhouses. But finding something solid and light that will last me and my wife a decent length of time, so we can save for an upgrade, is hard to find.

Thank you,

Welcome.
I tent camped for over 50 years and bought a 5th wheel recently.
As to your questions.
Brown State park is really nice and the town near it is a great tourist trap. Plenty of craft shopping and food/adult beverages.

As for tanks and capacity. I find fresh water tank to be my limiting factor. I have 38 gallons of fresh water, 89 gallons for gray water, and 57 gallons for black water. With just the misses and I, one fresh water tank fill and we are good to go for 4 days. We cook, shower, etc. in the camper. She has a phobia about public facilities. With the grandkids, I can go through 38 gallons of water in two days. they like to flush the toilet and wash their hands alot. It's a game for them. Which is fine, and prevents the pyramid. They don't understand water conservation techniques yet. All 5 grandkids are under 6. We are working on it.
Most of the campgrounds by me are state run and they have very few full hook up sites. I bought a 12v water pump from harbor freight, short length of rv water hose, and a 30 gallon water bladder off Amazon. When I need to resupply the fresh tank I drive the truck over the water spicket and fill the 30 gallon bladder. Drive back to the camper and hook up the 12v water pump and fill my fresh water tank. Realistically, I could fill my fresh water tank about 4 times before I have to dump.

Find a floor plan you like. Then figure out a plan on the tanks. I will break camp to dump tanks before I will use a honey wagon.

As for perspective. When I tent camped, I would go through between 5-10 gallons of fresh water for cooking, dishes, eating, and teeth cleaning. Then use the campground facility for waste management, and showering. 38 gallons is a ton of water for me.
When I camp for a long weekend by myself (Crappie tournaments) I barely use half a tank of water and that includes Navy showers every day.

Thank you so much for the help. That does sound like a lot of water. I usually can get by with showering at the bathhouse but I want the option to not have to.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom