rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Hybrid Campers  (Read 547 times)

vaughisa000

• ---
Hybrid Campers
« on: February 26, 2020, 09:28:15 AM »
Hello Everyone,

It is me again back with yet another question! This time about a completely different kind of camper. Now I want to ask about Hybrid campers. They are like a normal travel trailer, but then with the tent beds like a popup. I like that that they are larger, and would be more easy to deal with loading and unloading. I do not like that there is ones without slides, and you can just put the beds out and be good to go. I would assume this follows the same rule of thumb as a popup or tent. Which is make sure it is dry when put away. Other than that is there any reason to avoid these? I would assume they are lighter than a TT since they are smaller with tent beds.

Thank you,
A bad day camping is still better than a good day at work

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Hybrid Campers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 10:33:38 AM »
In my opinion a hybrid is an ideal small trailer, combining the expandability and lighter weight of a pop-up with the advantages of a hard-sided trailer. I see no disadvantages except what you cited, and that is usually not major because the materials today are synthetics rather than canvas.

Be aware that there are also a few trailers in that size range with hard-sided rear slide-outs.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:37:22 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 10:51:41 AM »
Hey Gary,

So far in my search i have found a lot of rockwood roo's. Their 19 model has no slides which i like and they seem to have all the things I would need. I also found the coachmen apex nano. It doesnt have an oven, but it is built with Azdel which holds up better to water than the traditional materials(Lauan I think is what it is called). However I am not able to find many of those out there. And they only have one axle and I would prefer two for safety reasons.

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 11:23:10 AM »
One thing to consider, if you ever camp in bear country, campgrounds typically require hard sided campers, which would rule out a hybrid.
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 11:54:42 AM »
It would mostly be for around Indiana, occasionally to the neighboring states. But we won't take very many longer trips yet. That is a very good point though. I do like the smoky mountains and that is definitely bear country.... What if i just keep the beds folded up and use the dinette bed? That would work for a temp fix to that if we reaaaalllyy wanted to go.

Thank you,

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 12:13:51 PM »
What if i just keep the beds folded up and use the dinette bed?

I assume at some point you are asked if your camper is hard sided and you could just answer yes and would be OK. Also assuming, rangers cruising by would see just a hard sided rig if you left them retracted, so again I would guess OK.
Scott
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 12:27:34 PM »
I camp with friends who have a hybrid. Very roomy at a reasonable weight. If you can find one, go for it.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 12:39:17 PM »
I assume at some point you are asked if your camper is hard sided and you could just answer yes and would be OK. Also assuming, rangers cruising by would see just a hard sided rig if you left them retracted, so again I would guess OK.

I looked in to it. And that is called "Turtling" when you use a hybrid with the things closed.
I am thinking this would be my best bet for a starter camper. Between a pop up and a TT. Decently priced. Smalled yet still roomy since the beds kick out. I'm finally feeling confident about a camper. Slowly but surely. Now it is time to over research about these hybrids. Common issues, building materials, price points, features, floorplans, and weight.

Thank you,

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »
that is called "Turtling" when you use a hybrid with the things closed.

Funny. I was today years old when I learned what "turtling" is  ;)
Scott
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »
Glad I could finally teach somebody something. LOL

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 01:24:41 PM »
One thing to consider, if you ever camp in bear country, campgrounds typically require hard sided campers, which would rule out a hybrid.

Weíve camped in many places that were bear country and many folks were in tents. The tent sites were equipped with food lockers. I got in trouble in Shenandoah for leaving our cooler out when we left the site for a day. Plenty of tent campers there. Iím sure there are places where tents arenít allowed but we have never encountered them.
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 01:39:43 PM »
The only downside for me with a hybrid is, they can be like a tent.  Aside from putting away completely dry, in the evening you can hear other campers talking, the morning you will wake up with the campground, and they are very bright when the sun shines on the canvas.  We like to hang blackout curtains over our bedroom window and enjoy sleeping in until 9:00am if we choose to. Don't worry about 2 axle vs 1 axle for the type of camping you will do.  1 Axle works fin as long as you load it reasonably well, and you probably can use that F150 2,7.  (see your other post)
2020 F150 Lariat, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 01:42:43 PM »
Phew you finally responded Spencer. I was starting to get worried about you, you are usually on it as soon as i post something. I could always get a phew canopys to put over the beds, keep some of the water and sunglight off of it when we are using it. And yeah its a lot like a tent, just more comfy and dry. And they all seem to be very light since they can fit more since the beds kick out. And therefore can shorten the overall length.

Thank you,

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 01:48:45 PM »
Weíve camped in many places that were bear country and many folks were in tents. The tent sites were equipped with food lockers. I got in trouble in Shenandoah for leaving our cooler out when we left the site for a day. Plenty of tent campers there. Iím sure there are places where tents arenít allowed but we have never encountered them.

Hello Lord Gator,

My family is actually going to Shenandoah this year, me my wife siblings and parents. They are going to be very annoyed when I keep singing John Denver in the car. Hopefully I make it back!

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 01:59:35 PM »

Might be outdated info I was relying on. When I visited Yellowstone the first time I was on a motorcycle pulling a popup trailer, and I wasn't allowed in some campgrounds that had a hard side only restriction. Many years ago.
Scott
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 02:15:52 PM »

Might be outdated info I was relying on. When I visited Yellowstone the first time I was on a motorcycle pulling a popup trailer, and I wasn't allowed in some campgrounds that had a hard side only restriction. Many years ago.

I saw that there is one campground at yellowstone that doesnt allow tents or soft sided campers. All the other ones allow it there, I think it was something like fishing bridge... I can't remember now

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 04:31:29 PM »
We camped all over the west in a pop up for years and years. There are a few places that donít allow soft sides near Yellowstone and Yosemite, maybe a few others. Most campgrounds, even in those areas, allow them. However you must put all food in the car or a bear box whenever you are not with the food. Not hard to do if you are organized.
2018 Tiffin 37PA

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 12:04:22 AM »
Hello Lord Gator,

My family is actually going to Shenandoah this year, me my wife siblings and parents. They are going to be very annoyed when I keep singing John Denver in the car. Hopefully I make it back!

Itís beautiful there. We didnít have electric, water or sewer. I had a solar system to keep the battery charged and we were across the street from the bathroom. Showers were up by the camp office. You have to pay for the showers. Bears roam around the campground. We saw three. The attached photo are some deer that wandered through the site next to us.
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 03:16:53 AM »

You are still up to date. Several Campgrounds still quote this in Grizzly country for some reason......

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2018/06/grizzly-bear-prompts-restriction-tents-soft-sided-campers-glacier-national-parks-many
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:18:45 AM by jackiemac »
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til who knows....

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »
I am trying to figure out what hybrids to look at, but dang near all of them are forest river.
They have the Rockwood Roo
Flagstaff Shamrock
The Geo Pro
The Palomino's

Coachmen only offers one, and it does not have an oven. Which the wife wants.
The geo pro is small, and only has one kick out bed and then a murphy bed(which the murphy would be nice for turtling)
The roo and shamrocks are the exact same. The palominos waste space with a counter with stools, and have an outside fridge for some reason. I guess coolers are out of style. They look nice enough and otherwise similiar to the roo and shamrock. It just doesn't seem to be to many options.

Thank you,

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 10:09:46 AM »
And coachmen is also owned by forest river.... THEY ARE ALL FOREST RIVER!!!

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 10:12:22 AM »
The Apex Nano 20x is just like the shamrock and roo i looked at. Except one axle instead of two, no oven, but has Azdel.

I love the camper industry....

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 10:17:45 AM »
The Apex Nano is their only "Expandable" that they have. The 15x and 20x are the only options and they are exactly like the shamrock and roo except it is 1 axle instead of 2 and they dont have an oven. The only plus side is the Azdel composite panels.

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 10:42:07 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:49:29 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 12:05:34 PM »
Do you plan to stay in hookup campgrounds most of the time? If so there are countertop toaster ovens that can manage a 9x13 pan just fine. I use one on big holiday cooking sprees at home, and it works just fine. Just read the reviews carefully to find a good one.
2018 Tiffin 37PA

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2020, 12:16:52 PM »
Thank you Gary for finding some more, I had just found the Jayco one, are they a good brand? It seems like they take some extra steps. And they have a few options that would suit me.

And yes I plan on staying on sites with electrical. Mostly state parks and things like that. I like camping but I do like my comforts. Also the toaster oven is a great idea! Thank you for the suggestion!

Thanks,

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 12:40:29 PM »
The Apex Nano is their only "Expandable" that they have. The 15x and 20x are the only options and they are exactly like the shamrock and roo except it is 1 axle instead of 2 and they dont have an oven. The only plus side is the Azdel composite panels.
Merged from another post..

vaughisa000

• ---
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 01:05:26 PM »
Hey Jackie,

Yeah I am sorry about that. I meant to put it here. I put it in the wrong place :( :'(

-Isaiah
97 F350 7.3L
And a tent(for now)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 03:46:46 PM »
I had just found the Jayco one, are they a good brand? It seems like they take some extra steps. And they have a few options that would suit me.
Years back I would have said yes, but more recent reports here suggest that Jayco is just another one of the herd.  And now they have merged into Thor, which does a lot of shared manufacturing across their many brand names.  Thor brands often end up looking like they were stamped out with the same cookie cutter.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2020, 05:10:18 PM »
Hey Jackie,

Yeah I am sorry about that. I meant to put it here. I put it in the wrong place :( :'(
Hey, don't you worry about it!