For South Dakota residents: ever been called for jury duty while traveling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I'm specifically interested in experiences from SD residents as policy and custom in other states could be different. I haven't been called yet, but started wondering what would happen if I was. I called the Court Clerk this morning and was essentially told it was my duty to appear but it was up to the judge and duty would probably be waived. But they emphasized it was my duty to appear (which I understand).

I'm interested in hearing how it was handled for those who have been summoned while out of state. Also, how much response time was given. If one is getting mail forwarded every two weeks, it could easily be three weeks before a summons was received. Thx

I hear your concern.  While my response is KY experience, I believe it to be typical.

Jury Summons are received 2 - 3 months before service is to begin.  It is normally for 30 days.  The summons comes with a questionnaire, where you may request a delay because you will be out of town.  With a decent reason, you are dismissed or rescheduled.

In my case, health is the issue.  I can handle District (I think) Court, where trials are ? day or less.  Circuit Court is beyond my physical limits.  The Court Clerk here has been great to work with.  I have served on the District Court juries, but have been dismissed with no need to show for Circuit Court duty.

Back2PA said:
I'm specifically interested in experiences from SD residents as policy and custom in other states could be different. I haven't been called yet, but started wondering what would happen if I was. I called the Court Clerk this morning and was essentially told it was my duty to appear but it was up to the judge and duty would probably be waived. But they emphasized it was my duty to appear (which I understand).

I was called for jury duty in SD several years ago.  I was told to send back a note explaining that I was an SD resident under the affidavit that I was a "person who traveled a lot" and that I was currently ~1,500 miles away. I never heard anything back.

docj said:
I was called for jury duty in SD several years ago.  I was told to send back a note explaining that I was an SD resident under the affidavit that I was a "person who traveled a lot" and that I was currently ~1,500 miles away. I never heard anything back.

OK thanks doc. I suspected that was the real world situation but that wasn't the tone I got from the Clerk.

I got a notice to appear for jury duty 5 years ago. I phoned the county clerk and said I was traveling and in AZ. When I gave her my mail service address (Myhomeaddressinc.com) in Emery, she oh you're an RV'r. I'll take you off the list.

Back
Top Bottom