rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: For South Dakota residents: ever been called for jury duty while traveling?  (Read 273 times)

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
I'm specifically interested in experiences from SD residents as policy and custom in other states could be different. I haven't been called yet, but started wondering what would happen if I was. I called the Court Clerk this morning and was essentially told it was my duty to appear but it was up to the judge and duty would probably be waived. But they emphasized it was my duty to appear (which I understand).

I'm interested in hearing how it was handled for those who have been summoned while out of state. Also, how much response time was given. If one is getting mail forwarded every two weeks, it could easily be three weeks before a summons was received. Thx
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:14:44 AM by Back2PA »
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
I hear your concern.  While my response is KY experience, I believe it to be typical.

Jury Summons are received 2 - 3 months before service is to begin.  It is normally for 30 days.  The summons comes with a questionnaire, where you may request a delay because you will be out of town.   With a decent reason, you are dismissed or rescheduled.

In my case, health is the issue.  I can handle District (I think) Court, where trials are day or less.  Circuit Court is beyond my physical limits.  The Court Clerk here has been great to work with.  I have served on the District Court juries, but have been dismissed with no need to show for Circuit Court duty.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

docj

• ---
I'm specifically interested in experiences from SD residents as policy and custom in other states could be different. I haven't been called yet, but started wondering what would happen if I was. I called the Court Clerk this morning and was essentially told it was my duty to appear but it was up to the judge and duty would probably be waived. But they emphasized it was my duty to appear (which I understand).

I was called for jury duty in SD several years ago.  I was told to send back a note explaining that I was an SD resident under the affidavit that I was a "person who traveled a lot" and that I was currently ~1,500 miles away. I never heard anything back.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
I was called for jury duty in SD several years ago.  I was told to send back a note explaining that I was an SD resident under the affidavit that I was a "person who traveled a lot" and that I was currently ~1,500 miles away. I never heard anything back.

OK thanks doc. I suspected that was the real world situation but that wasn't the tone I got from the Clerk.
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

Chet18013

• ---
I got a notice to appear for jury duty 5 years ago. I phoned the county clerk and said I was traveling and in AZ. When I gave her my mail service address (Myhomeaddressinc.com) in Emery, she oh you're an RV'r. I'll take you off the list.

Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel