ISO: Marketplace for already flat-tow outfitted dinghys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DolphinChad

Recently a car thief unexpectedly relieved me of my former 2016 Honda Fit EX, for which I was actively shopping for a tow dolly to pull it behind my rig. That dolly-search part of the story is told more beginning here:

Re: New to & Looking to Buy a Used Tow Dolly Could use Some Help on Price and Model
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,111471.msg1148953.html#msg1148953

The bright side of the car theft is, I can now shop for a replacement dinghy, ideally one already flat-tow outfitted! & forget all the headaches wrt buying/stowing a car dolly, which braking system, yada yada! Ahh silver linings!  ;D

And with just me & the rig now, I'm free to travel a bit to pick up a good "already flat-tow package outfitted" dinghy.

Thing is, where do I find this niche used-marketplace online? I went to autotrader.com & entered keywords 'flat tow*' & a bunch of new/big trucks came up coz their search engine zeros in on the word tow*.

Anyone know of a website with this sort of marketplace? Should I post an "In Search Of" beacon @ craigslist, & wait for the tidal wave of offerings?!  :-\

You'd have to go through a lot of ads but you might check RV Trader - occasionally you'll see someone selling their RV with Toad, and will almost certainly sell the Toad separately

^ ahh thx Back2PA, I'd forgotten all about rvtrader.com! Will search!  8)

and, "toad", good word  :))

I just watched this TX RV-vlogging couple's 2 part series, VERY helpful!

"What is Better Flat Tow or Dolly?" 15m:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb9VkVTfuT8

"Flat Tow Follow Up - Your Questions Answered - Full Time RV" 13m:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ--YdWtDPE

ah good one Lars, & great timing; I was just shaking my head in frustration re only false positives coming up in RV trader for my "flat tow", "dinghy", "toad" searches!  :-X

will try ur approach!

was also thinking, keyword search flat tow hardware brands like "Blue Ox" etc.

edit: obv I'm looking to save-a-buck getting a toad already flat tow outfitted. I hear, taking a flat tow qualifying vehicle & buying/installing the junk all NEW, is a $4-6K endeavor?!  :p

But even buying a toad with that equip/work already included, I gather there will still be expense toward the rig? That "Full Time RV" vloggers vids suggested, something about air compressor on rig for brakes on vehicle, if I understand correctly? All new to me! Much to learn!

DolphinChad said:
ah good one Lars, & great timing; I was just shaking my head in frustration re only false positives coming up in RV trader for my "flat tow", "dinghy", "toad" searches!  :-X

will try ur approach!

was also thinking, keyword search flat tow hardware brands like "Blue Ox" etc.

edit: obv I'm looking to save-a-buck getting a toad already flat tow outfitted. I hear, taking a flat tow qualifying vehicle & buying/installing the junk all NEW, is a $4-6K endeavor?!  :p

But even buying a toad with that equip/work already included, I gather there will still be expense toward the rig? That "Full Time RV" vloggers vids suggested, something about air compressor on rig for brakes on vehicle, if I understand correctly? All new to me! Much to learn!

Exactly. several good search terms to use.
And we paid $6k for our Saturn. A decent blue book value for the car, alone, and the Blue Ox rig and base plate looked to be $3-4k, Not to mention the Even Brake system that also came with it. There are bargains to be found.

I went to RVTrader and typed TOAD in the keyword line, updated and it found 32 matches. One was a car only. One other I saw was sell MH with or without Toad, may have been others I didn't catch. One ad was kinda funny, had a pic of MH with Golden Retriever in the pic, description noted first thing, "Golden not included".

Certain cars make real good, easy toads, others not so. I seem to recall that Saturn Vue's were a easy one (not sure what transmission you need or don't want however) and I remember the Ford C-Max ?Hybrid?, was a hook it up and go car. May be worth finding a good car and setting it up.

Charles

CharlesinGA said:
I went to RVTrader and typed TOAD in the keyword line, updated and it found 32 matches. One was a car only. One other I saw was sell MH with or without Toad, may have been others I didn't catch. One ad was kinda funny, had a pic of MH with Golden Retriever in the pic, description noted first thing, "Golden not included".

Certain cars make real good, easy toads, others not so. I seem to recall that Saturn Vue's were a easy one (not sure what transmission you need or don't want however) and I remember the Ford C-Max ?Hybrid?, was a hook it up and go car. May be worth finding a good car and setting it up.

Charles

Saturn Vue with FWD is easy. though there are some warnings that must be minded to protect the tranny. Consult the manual. Also, they want you to pull the ACC fuse. This is kind of a PIA. I installed a fuse by-pass switch.

on this forum posted on for sale or wanted if its still available. 2019 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback
? on: February 27, 2020, 06:11:03 PM ?

I'm currently towing a 1986 Ford Bronco II.  I found it 6 years ago in Lake Havasu City on Craigslist.  It was fully outfitted as a toad and being sold by a mechanic friend of the original owners, a couple who towed it behind their motorhome and were hanging up the keys.

I have no idea of it's actual mileage - the odometer said 50,000 miles when I bought it and 78,000 miles now, but it accumulates mileage while under tow and I don't know if that's the first or second time around the clock.  I forgot to ask how many actual driven miles it had when I bought it.

I searched auto trader looking for a Jeep.  Looking at the photos I saw the baseplate connection point for the tow adapters in the pics the seller posted. The seller mentioned it had M&G braking, but no mention in the add it was tow ready. Being new to RVn I did not know what that M&G system he was referring to? His price was right and I asked if he would throw in the tow bar, and he did. Come to find out the only thing I had to do was purchase the supplemental air kit for the M&G air brake system it had already installed. Motor City John, here on the forum told me about the Kits to convert hydraulic brakes Class C to operate the air M&G braking system.

JD

Www.rvt.com has a section for tow behind cars. Not all are set up already but a lot are. That?s where we found our CRV.

Back
Top Bottom