rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: ISO: Marketplace for already flat-tow outfitted dinghys  (Read 187 times)

DolphinChad

• ---
ISO: Marketplace for already flat-tow outfitted dinghys
« on: February 26, 2020, 11:58:57 AM »
Recently a car thief unexpectedly relieved me of my former 2016 Honda Fit EX, for which I was actively shopping for a tow dolly to pull it behind my rig. That dolly-search part of the story is told more beginning here:

Re: New to & Looking to Buy a Used Tow Dolly Could use Some Help on Price and Model
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,111471.msg1148953.html#msg1148953

The bright side of the car theft is, I can now shop for a replacement dinghy, ideally one already flat-tow outfitted! & forget all the headaches wrt buying/stowing a car dolly, which braking system, yada yada! Ahh silver linings!  ;D

And with just me & the rig now, I'm free to travel a bit to pick up a good "already flat-tow package outfitted" dinghy.

Thing is, where do I find this niche used-marketplace online? I went to autotrader.com & entered keywords 'flat tow*' & a bunch of new/big trucks came up coz their search engine zeros in on the word tow*.

Anyone know of a website with this sort of marketplace? Should I post an "In Search Of" beacon @ craigslist, & wait for the tidal wave of offerings?!  :-\

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
Re: ISO: Marketplace for already flat-tow outfitted dinghys
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 12:11:11 PM »
You'd have to go through a lot of ads but you might check RV Trader - occasionally you'll see someone selling their RV with Toad, and will almost certainly sell the Toad separately
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

DolphinChad

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 02:08:16 PM »
^ ahh thx Back2PA, I'd forgotten all about rvtrader.com! Will search!  8)

and, "toad", good word  :))

I just watched this TX RV-vlogging couple's 2 part series, VERY helpful!

"What is Better Flat Tow or Dolly?" 15m:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb9VkVTfuT8

"Flat Tow Follow Up - Your Questions Answered - Full Time RV" 13m:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ--YdWtDPE

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 02:31:25 PM »
I found my Toad by searching Craigslist cars and tucks for "base plate"

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

“All I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.” -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

DolphinChad

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 02:54:39 PM »
ah good one Lars, & great timing; I was just shaking my head in frustration re only false positives coming up in RV trader for my "flat tow", "dinghy", "toad" searches!  :-X

will try ur approach!

was also thinking, keyword search flat tow hardware brands like "Blue Ox" etc.

edit: obv I'm looking to save-a-buck getting a toad already flat tow outfitted. I hear, taking a flat tow qualifying vehicle & buying/installing the junk all NEW, is a $4-6K endeavor?!  :P

But even buying a toad with that equip/work already included, I gather there will still be expense toward the rig? That "Full Time RV" vloggers vids suggested, something about air compressor on rig for brakes on vehicle, if I understand correctly? All new to me! Much to learn!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:10:04 PM by DolphinChad »

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 04:07:08 PM »
ah good one Lars, & great timing; I was just shaking my head in frustration re only false positives coming up in RV trader for my "flat tow", "dinghy", "toad" searches!  :-X

will try ur approach!

was also thinking, keyword search flat tow hardware brands like "Blue Ox" etc.

edit: obv I'm looking to save-a-buck getting a toad already flat tow outfitted. I hear, taking a flat tow qualifying vehicle & buying/installing the junk all NEW, is a $4-6K endeavor?!  :P

But even buying a toad with that equip/work already included, I gather there will still be expense toward the rig? That "Full Time RV" vloggers vids suggested, something about air compressor on rig for brakes on vehicle, if I understand correctly? All new to me! Much to learn!

Exactly. several good search terms to use.
And we paid $6k for our Saturn. A decent blue book value for the car, alone, and the Blue Ox rig and base plate looked to be $3-4k, Not to mention the Even Brake system that also came with it. There are bargains to be found.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

“All I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.” -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 06:10:06 PM »
Here is a master way to search craigslist
https://www.searchcraigslist.org/
2020 F150 Lariat, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain