Oven use while traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhoagl7893

We have been baking in the oven while traveling for a few years.  Lasagna, pot roast, ham, etc.  Recently I have been told by a couple people that is a real no-no, but no one knows why it is a no-no.  I recognize that if we would go into a gas station, just like our fridge, the oven would need turned off.  But it is so nice to put a meal in the oven, time our arrival at our destination for dinner to be ready, and boom, set down to dinner.

Anybody have any idea why we should not be doing this?

Thanks, Richard

We don't have an oven, but if we did, I wouldn't try cooking in it while traveling.  An unsecured dish in the oven could be spilled when driving over bumps or the oven burner could go out and you wouldn't know it.  We use a crockpot in the sink to make dinner and run it off the inverter.  Much safer, and gives the same results as an oven.

We have never used the oven while in motion but do find the crock pot to be very handy.  Sam puts the roast or whatever in the crockpot in the morning before we hit the road.  The crockpot rides in the sink while cooking.  When we stop dinner is pretty much ready.

I haven't used the oven.  I never even thought about it, but I'd be afraid that stuff might leak or slosh and make a huge mess for me to clean up.

What I have been wondering though is if anyone has used an electric bread machine while driving.  The only problem I see is that the bread may bake crooked unless the roads are pretty level.

I too use a slow cooker while moving, I have one specifically designed for in-motion use  I drop a few pieces of chicken in there, Some spices and plug it in, 12 volt or 120 volt (it don't care) and drive.. Some hours later I park, and eat.

Never tried the oven oven but my concerns woudl be the same as everyone else..  Some idiot cut me off.... I stand on the brakes... There goes dinner.

Add me to the group that wouldn't use the oven while traveling mostly because of worries about spills and the ensuing mess.

As for the bread machine, bread is very sensitive to bumps and vibrations and I'm afraid you'd end up with a lump instead of a loaf.

The danger in using the oven while traveling is more about having an open propane line and as well as an open flame!  Ironically you posted...

"But it is so nice to put a meal in the oven, time our arrival at our destination for dinner to be ready, and boom, set down to dinner."

There is a good thread regarding whether to travel with propane in another section.  Quick overview...the National Propane Association, Manchester Tank, Marshall Brass all recommend shutting of the propane at the tank valve.  If someone should sideswipe you or you sideswipe a pilon, bridge post or sign, it could break a line and propane could disipate into the coach.  

Travel on a bumpy road could also rupture a valve, "jiggle" a handle, or loosen a fitting and again...propane inside the rig.  We developed an RV Safety Training Kit being offered thru the RV Safety Education Foundation and did exhaustive research on this subject.  However, you will find many people who do it and find nothing wrong with it.  You will also find several people that start a campfire with GASOLINE...doesn't make it safe.

Wouldn't all of that also apply to running the refrigerator while driving? Most RVers do.

Yes, unless you have an older unit that runs on 12v which wasn't very efficient and why they don't offer it on the newer units, or use a larger inverter such as those on many Monacos.  In '96, Norcold and Dometic did extensive research on this issue and redesigned their units to be more efficient or better insulated and have released this documentation:

"Refrigerators manufactured after 1995 will keep an internal temperature of less than 40 degrees for eight hours in 100 degree F when the unit is turned off with minimal door opening."

Will you find hundreds of owners that travel with the fridge running on lp...yes, however, it is not recommended.  Attached is a MS Word document written for RV Safety Education Foundation and published in most RV Club magazines covering this issue.  Please excuse the "rough" format, however the finished pdf file was too large to upload.

Attachments

• Driving Safety propane.doc
    21 KB · Views: 25
If it's your own work, feel free to email me a copy of the pdf file and, with your permission, I'll pop it in the forum library. If it's someone else's work, we'd need approval from the author.

You should see an 'envelope' icon beneath my avatar; Clicking on that will allow you to send me an email.

TiA.

Tom,
It is my work, sponsored by Farm & City Insurance Services and they give permission to use it anywhere that would be beneficial for safety education.

Thanks for the safety info. We usually leave the frig off when traveling but have never shut the propane off at the tank. Something to think about.

Wow, interesting stuff.  I've never even used my oven yet.  Just haven't seen a need to yet.  Though we did buy some special dishes and even a recipe for "campfire cookies" or something like that.  But we've just never done it yet.  Anyway, I've always been one to get to the campground, get everything set up, kick back and have a "beverage", and then whoop out the old RVQ.  I love BBQ of just about any kind, and we absolutely abuse our little RVQ.

As for traveling with the fridge on, yes we do that.  But it will be interesting reading up on the safety stuff.  Maybe make us rethink things...who knows.

That's good news Dave. Received your email and the file is now in the Driving and safety tips area of the forum library. Here's the link.

It's a little "commercial" and I see why you call it an advitorial, but I think the education benefit makes it a worthwhile addition to our library.

BTW I'll reply to the other items in your email separately after giving it more thought.

Thanks again.

We travel with the fridge on, but because we live in TX we usually are running the generator so we can have air conditioning, so the fridge will then run on ac.  But we don't turn of the propane. 

BruceinFL said:
The heck with the oven....nuke the food.  ;)

Agreed. I've always thought the best reason for running the generator while driving is so you can nuke popcorn whenever you need it.

I make nuke nachos while driving.  Not the ballgame kind with cheese poured over chips, but real nachos.

Never considered using the oven while moving.  We use the crock Pot, microwave and coffee pot all the time.  lou

cuts_up said:
I make nuke nachos while driving.  Not the ballgame kind with cheese poured over chips, but real nachos.

Those poured cheese-whiz things aren't nachos. Nachos have fresh shredded cheese on them .... and jalapenos and beans and green onions and olives and tomatoes...............

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom