rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: camping in Koreshan state park in FL  (Read 267 times)

bbishop3

• ---
camping in Koreshan state park in FL
« on: February 26, 2020, 05:33:51 PM »
ok, we have been camping with a 24'TT ever since we married almost 13 years ago,(on our fourth one now) and this may be the most ridiculous question ever posted here...The family we are going to be visiting who live in Bonita Springs, made noises about "critters"  in the park that might decide to either hitch a ride on our trailer or just come on in and make themselves at home even if not invited. We are talking everything from raccoons to anacondas and the stray alligator. Do not know if this is a thing in south Florida, but can  someone calm my wife down so she can enjoy the trip (and not have me outside every 2 hours if she hears something she thinks is out there? Sure would appreciate some common sense! Thanks!

SpencerPJ

• ---
Re: camping in Koreshan state park in FL
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 06:04:14 PM »
In general, most animals prefer to keep their distance from civilization.  Raccoons, ya, if they think they can find food nearby, they will look.  I would not even worry about snakes or gators.  Maybe to put your wife at ease, select a site in the center of the campground, rather than the perimeter.  Think about it, a State Park...  Civilization would pester the heck out of gators and snakes, if deep in the woods, so be it.  Go read the reviews on their website, never a mention of troublesome animals.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:07:26 PM by SpencerPJ »
2020 F150 Lariat, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

JackL

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 07:36:18 PM »
We have stayed there many times.
You won't see any snakes. There are no Anacondas in South Florida. there are Burmese Pythons ,but no where near
Koreshan SP.
Racoons are  in and around every wooded SP in the US. Don't leave any food out of your RV, and they will head on through and check out each site until they find some

Jack L

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 07:53:20 PM »
Over many years, we've had both raccoons and bears check out our campsite looking for stray bits of food, but in Florida the only critter that seemed to take a liking to our site was an 8" turtle at Midway Campground in the Big Cypress National Preserve. He/she alternated between the pond across the road and the shade under our picnic table for the entire week we were there. There's a resident alligator in the Midway pond, but she never strayed more than a few feet from the pond while we were there.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 10:46:17 PM »
Only danger from raccoons is leaving food out in a cooler overnight.  If you have a cooler, make sure it has a strong latch and maybe even a padlock, as raccoons are very good at undoing things.  Or maybe just tie it shut with some rope???  A neighbor lost a couple of pounds of hamburger because the cooler had no latch on it and the raccoon just helped itself.  Also closed the cooler when it was done, but did leave muddy paw prints on the outside.

Also, keep your outside storage compartments latched.  I am lazy and often just leave the compartment with my hookups open with my electric cord hanging out.  I once had an early-morning (like before sunrise) raccoon set up housekeeping in one of my storage areas.  She climbed in through my open hookup area and found an entrance to the rear pass-through.  By the time i completely woke up, and got out of bed and dressed, she had torn up half a roll of paper towel into little squares. I went back, opened the door of the compartment and saw the bandit-face.  Yelled at her, and she took off, but it took me half an hour to clean up the mess she had made. 

I have spent a lot of time in Florida and have never even seen a snake.  And alligators do not go wandering around where people are unless you are close to a pond and have a very small dog that you have left alone. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:49:03 PM by JudyJB »
Full-timing for over seven years and 134,000 miles in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N.
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/

Domo

• ---
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 08:28:40 AM »
We lived in Florida for eight years in a house, and now we full time with Florida for the winters - currently staying in Fort Myers (just North of Bonita Springs).

We don't worry about critters; squirrels, racoons, skunks, snakes, turtles, tortoise --->> the gators eat them all! :P

Sorry - I'm joking about that - we've had no invasion of anything - sometimes a mosquito or no-seeum but that's about it.
2008 Tiffin 36QSH
2017 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
BlueOx tow bar and base plate
Roadmaster Brakemaster
[line][/line]

Light travels faster than sound...
                                     that's why some people seem so bright before they open their mouths!

JackL

• ---
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »
We lived in Florida for eight years in a house, and now we full time with Florida for the winters - currently staying in Fort Myers (just North of Bonita Springs).

We don't worry about critters; squirrels, racoons, skunks, snakes, turtles, tortoise --->> the gators eat them all! :P

Sorry - I'm joking about that - we've had no invasion of anything - sometimes a mosquito or no-seeum but that's about it.

Here at our place in Key largo we have a sign on the beach that says " Caution Crocodiles in the area" ..
 It works wonders for renters who have dogs -keeping them off the beach!

Jack L