Michelin Cross Climate C-Metric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhblack

Has anyone had experience with the Michelin Cross Climate C-Metric tire? I'm still researching tire brands for our 09 Access 31J. I really want the maximum weight carry to support these itty-bitty wheels. (I have no clue why they use such small wheels). The regular LT tires all seem to max out at 2470# for duals, which puts most everyone "over", before trip load up. Any and all advise welcome.

Hi dh-

I have an rig that is a 1st cousin to your WBGO Access 31J and I am also interested in hearing back from someone who has installed these tires.  Each owner (myself and 2 others) has had one "blowout" (total of 3) ..... all on an inside dual; none of those tires were 6 years old and in my case, there was no warning from the TPMS.  My experience and the previous owner's experience was, fortunately, no big deal; the original owner ended up replacing the black tank which was "beaten to death" by one of the steel belts on the failed tire.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but changing to these tires will not increase your CCC by one pound.  There are other factors such as springs, bearings, brakes and who knows what all that are involved in the GVWR and the GAWRs etc.  Still, my 'sperience tells me that I will be safer with tires that have more load carrying capability.  Like you, I have always felt that my "itty bitty" tires are a weak link.  Score another point for the folks with Class A's IMHO.

There is at least one forum member who is running these tires.  I hope he posts re his experience with them.  My current Bridgestones are approaching 5 years (and look new, of course) so I am planning on replacing them after this season.

Just my $.02

Good times and safe travels to ya.

I know only partial history on my rig. It had a blowout on passenger side dually, I do not know which tire position. The only visible damage is along wheel well edge. They did replace the slide motor and it works fine. I'm hoping someone has those tires. Since most LT tires are weight rated at around 2470# duals and the "C" types are 3000+#, it has to help a little.

dhblack said:
Has anyone had experience with the Michelin Cross Climate C-Metric tire? I'm still researching tire brands for our 09 Access 31J. I really want the maximum weight carry to support these itty-bitty wheels. (I have no clue why they use such small wheels). The regular LT tires all seem to max out at 2470# for duals, which puts most everyone "over", before trip load up. Any and all advise welcome.

I just bought 4 for my rear axial on my Class C before we left for Florida for same reasons of the coach being overweight from the factory before we even loaded anything (tanks were empty as well)  and the tires that were on it are undersized for the loads.  They drove just fine and my wife believes the ride was better from our previous 3 years of traveling.  I had them cold weather PSI at 83

youracman said:
Hi dh-

I have an rig that is a 1st cousin to your WBGO Access 31J and I am also interested in hearing back from someone who has installed these tires.  Each owner (myself and 2 others) has had one "blowout" (total of 3) ..... all on an inside dual; none of those tires were 6 years old and in my case, there was no warning from the TPMS.  My experience and the previous owner's experience was, fortunately, no big deal; the original owner ended up replacing the black tank which was "beaten to death" by one of the steel belts on the failed tire.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but changing to these tires will not increase your CCC by one pound.  There are other factors such as springs, bearings, brakes and who knows what all that are involved in the GVWR and the GAWRs etc.  Still, my 'sperience tells me that I will be safer with tires that have more load carrying capability.  Like you, I have always felt that my "itty bitty" tires are a weak link.  Score another point for the folks with Class A's IMHO.

There is at least one forum member who is running these tires.  I hope he posts re his experience with them.  My current Bridgestones are approaching 5 years (and look new, of course) so I am planning on replacing them after this season.

Just my $.02

Good times and safe travels to ya.

my concern on the "mechanicals" of my rear axial, the rear brakes, bearings and suspension due to the overload of GVWR from the factory is  nil as the factor of safety built into the E450 chassis is way greater that factor of safety of the tire designs.  I feel 10x better having tires capable of the loads on my rear axial now.

Thanks for posting, Bob.  I am not at my GVWR when loaded for travel ...... but close.    These are  the tires I will be putting on; I belong to the "tires be cheaper'n bones" club.  :^)

Best,  Ed S.

I'm not clear on what the question is.  C-metric tires have slightly different design parameters vs an LT or P-metric tire.  The European Tyre Mfgr standards are slightly different than US Tire Mfgr standards and they calculate load limits differently, so that results in a slightly higher load capacity for a given size. The size is the size, though.  235/65R16 is still 236/65R16.

I suggest you forget the name difference and focus on the two specs that are important: the size and the max load capacity (load index).  Those specs are printed in all the blurbs and stamped onto the tire sidewall.  If the 3 key size parameters are the same as OEM, e.g. 235/65R16 and the load capacity meets or exceeds the original (OEM) tires, you can use them.  However, you should use the inflation specs (psi) for the C-metric model rather than the vehicle manufacturer's recommended psi as shown on the vehicle's tire placard.  That's because the tire design standard and required inflation are different (or at least potentially different).  Get the psi values from the tire makers load-inflation chart.

If you are changing the tire size as well as C-metric vs LT or P-metric, then all the usual caveats about measuring for size differences apply in addition to the inflation difference mentioned above.
This article intended for truck fleet managers may help understand what is and is not different about C-metric vs LT metric or P-metric.http://www.ntea.com/NTEA/Member_benefits/Technical_resources/European_tires___Understanding_the_basics.aspx

Gary, the load carrying ability is one thing I'm concerned with. Most of the LT tires I've looked at are rated for 2470# duals and the "C metric" are rated for 3100+#. Most at 83 psi. So doesn't that help a motorhome carry it's own weight more safely? I am also looking at a General Tire Grabber HD, so I need opinions of those too. Thank You

The load carrying capacity of the tire needs to be "enough".  Enough to carry the maximum potential weight load at each tire position, preferably with a bit to spare.  If 2470 isn't enough, you need a more capable tire.  You did not give any vehicle weight information, either actual or rated (axle GAWRs), so it's impossible to say whether you need more than 2470/tire.  You mentioned a previous blowout, but the cause is unknown so inadequate tires is just one of several possibilities.

If you do, a C-metric tire is a solid choice.  Note however, that the higher load rating of the C-metric is largely a matter of how the max load is calculated under European tire standards.  It is not necessarily built much different.    The alternative is a larger size LT tire, which will have a greater carrying capacity.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The load carrying capacity of the tire needs to be "enough".  Enough to carry the maximum potential weight load at each tire position, preferably with a bit to spare.  If 2470 isn't enough, you need a more capable tire.  You did not give any vehicle weight information, either actual or rated (axle GAWRs), so it's impossible to say whether you need more than 2470/tire.  You mentioned a previous blowout, but the cause is unknown so inadequate tires is just one of several possibilities.

If you do, a C-metric tire is a solid choice.  Note however, that the higher load rating of the C-metric is largely a matter of how the max load is calculated under European tire standards.  It is not necessarily built much different.    The alternative is a larger size LT tire, which will have a greater carrying capacity.

larger tires would need appropriate wheel well clearances and I looked at this myself before getting the C-metric which is same size as the LT tires I had.

decaturbob said:
larger tires would need appropriate wheel well clearances

And sidewall clearance between the duals, they must never ever touch

Back
Top Bottom