Mike's handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Mike, an unrelated question.

Does the f-221 have something to do with the Frigate Emden?

carson FL

Wendy, I'll let Mike handle the translation, if he cares to. The answer has a nautical twinge to it.
carson

Dad was Navy and I figured it was something Navy-ish. But I was Army and dh is Marine so what do we know?

Wendy

"Bingo" was meant as "You've got it", "You are right" - in that way.
Joined the Navy and served at the Frigate Emden and some other ships, and a few years at a Fast Patrol Boat with guided missiles.
Carson, the Frigate Emden was stationed that time in Flensburg.

The "bingo" I understood. It was the "F-221" I needed translated.

Thanks
Wendy

Thanks for the info, Mike. There are quite a few websites detailing various aspects of the ship. Interesting that Flensburg should be part of it, my hometown.

Looks like the ship was sold to the Turkish Navy in 1963 and subsequently destroyed by fire.

Are you the only German member of this forum?

carson, FL

Wendy, F 221 was the Hull number of the Frigate Emden I served on.

Carson, the Frigate Emden (F 221) was not completely destroyed by fire. The ship was decommissioned and later scrapped in Turkey. The F 221 was the 4th Emden; now the 5th Emden is sailing. The 1st Emden was destroyed by HMAS Sydney in WWI at the Cocos-Islands in the Indian Ocean - 09/11/1914. The F 221 was first stationed in Cuxhaven. Then in Flensburg and later in Wilhelmshaven.

BTW: Those days I went to Cuxhaven and met a few of our crew. We attended the funeral of our Commanding Officer who dies at the age of 84. He died peacefully in a chair in his home, his dog sitting besides him, his children told us.

Thanks, Mike.
  I knew it was the Emden IV, the time frame fit. Guess not all web sites, including the German ones, are  always precise in the historical data.

Thanks again for sharing this info with me.

carson FL  34.4C

Back
Top Bottom