Generator starting problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess62622

I have a 2000 tioga arrow MH. We bought it used approx 3 years ago. We have never used the genny. We have however started it once a year. I did my pre check on it and started it up, it ran for about 2 seconds and quit. It will now only make a click noise. I dont have much knowledge of genny so anything will help thanks!

A steady clicking noise when attempting to start indicates a weak battery - the starter is unable to engage. A single click but no motor whine can be a defective starter solenoid and the solenoid is often integral with the starter motor.  However, since it started initially, I'm guessing the starter motor is ok.

Please identify the generator make & model, e.g. Onan 4000 model 4KYFA or similar. Then we can help more.

Make sure the motorhome's battery is fully charged and power cables running to the generator are tightly in place... then try again. Also, the generator really ought to be "exercised" more than 1x/year. I'd say more like 1x every month or two, start it up and let it run for 30 minutes or so with a load applied (like the roof A/C or something that causes needs the generator to "work" and supply power). That way old gas isn't sitting in the fuel lines getting stale. That can cause running problems, similar to an old lawnmower that you let sit in a shed unused for months or years.

So far your problem sounds electrical, a weak battery or corroded connection between the genset starter and the Rv's 12v system. Begin your diagnostic work there.
The last letter in the model number is what Onan calls the Spec level, so yours is spec J. Here's a service manual.
https://www.rvwithtito.com/download/Onan4000MaintenanceManual.pdf

I was always told to run the RV engine first, then start the generator.  This is way I always due an exercise running of the generator, and some sort of stabilizer in the gas if going to be sitting for awhile.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom