New Tow Vehicle: F-250 Gas or Diesel Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micjustice

We did it. We final bought a camper. Now we need to buy a truck. We bought a Forest River Alpha Wolf 29qb-l and it max?s out the towing and payload capacity of our 2012 F150. So now I am shopping for a new truck. What has been anyone?s experience with a gas F-250? I don?t think I need a diesel but I?m not opposed to it. The majority of our camping we?ll be done in Florida, about once a month during the summer and then taper off once school starts, and we will take the occasional trip to the mountains of Tennessee maybe once every year or two.  I don?t want to have to pay the extra 10k for Diesel engine then there is the extra maintenance and fuel cost, unless that is something that I have to do.

Our TT dry weight is 6780, tongue weight 1026, and GCWR 7920

Thank you for your help and feedback

My last three trucks being diesel, I am certainly a proponent for them.  However, given your parameters, I don't think a diesel would be justified.  It would be nice in the mountains when you go, but it doesn't sound like you will be going often enough to really warrant the diesel.  I pulled my old TT (about 6K loaded) from Texas to Spring City, TN a while back, and at that time had a 5.4L F-250.  It pulled that load with no problem at all.  And I had a Yamaha 650 V-Star in the back of the truck!  So yeah, I think gas will do you just fine.

Are you going to get the 6.2L, or new 7.3L?  Either one should be more than enough for you.  And the money you save not getting the diesel can go to the other goodies.  Be sure and get the 360 degree camera system.  It's awesome for towing.

Good luck.

Thanks Ed

I?m looking at the 6.2L. I?m sure the new 7.3L will be great but I worry about buying a first generation engine. I like the way you think, I can always use new goodies......my boat does need some updates too ?

I agree with Ed. I love my diesel and have no desire to go back to gas but for your usage it will work just fine. My maintenance is higher cost but less frequent so that's a wash. Fuel for local driving costs me more, miledge is comparable but diesel is expensive, but when I hit the highway there is no comparison. I run all day comfortably on one tank pulling the trailer.

I have a 2015 F250 with the 6.2 gas engine. The actual weight of my trailer is 6000 lbs loaded as I travel. When I am in Colorado, the truck does slow down to about 40mph on steeper grades. But I don?t keep the engine screaming at real high rpms. I have 4wd and Wrangler tires with somewhat aggressive tread as I drive off pavement a lot. I only get about 8 or 9 mpg when towing which is pretty terrible. Without 4wd and using street tires it would probably be 11 or 12 mpg.

I have a gas f150 and a diesel f350 both have pluses and minuses.  If you have the means once you have a diesel you wont go back to gas for towing. Yes a diesel costs more to purchase but the fuel mileage is better. Motor lasts longer. Regular maintainance is marginally more - less oil changes but more expensive and you have to do fuel filters more regularly. More power for towing buy far. But for an extra $300 get a 350 over a 250 - if you ever decide to get a 5th wheel you will want to extra payload. Anything extra you pay initially for a diesel you get back plus more when you sell over a gas job
Cheers

Our truck is gas and we love it! Maintenance has not been overly expensive either. No additives required. We are out west and it has towed out 10,000lb trailer up some steep hills, even a 14% one although we had to go into 4wd low ?

Cost us a lot less than the diesels we looked at.

jackiemac said:
Our truck is gas and we love it! Maintenance has not been overly expensive either. No additives required. We are out west and it has towed out 10,000lb trailer up some steep hills, even a 14% one although we had to go into 4wd low ?

Cost us a lot less than the diesels we looked at.

X2. Ford 6.2. Doesn't have the low end torque of a diesel so you can't be afraid of revving it but it does a great job. Get maintenance almost anywhere, easy to find fuel, don't have to use truck lanes at truck stops. Poor mileage while towing, but offset by gas which costs 30-50% less than diesel. Greater payload due to a lighter engine.

Absolutely agree about getting an F-350, even if you don't need it now. When I bought my truck I was shopping used and couldn't find an F-350 in the trim and price range I needed. You'll get every dollar back when you sell it.

I have a F350 diesel and love it.  BUT  it rarely moves without the FW attached or a trip to Home Depot.

As others have said, go with the F350.  It is a bit stiffer suspension, but the identical body and options.  The big deal is the higher GVWR and higher payload.  Should you choose to upgrade, the truck can handle it.

Diesels are preferred IF most of your travel in the truck is 20+ miles between stops AND towing something.  They are great climbing hills.
They do not like stop and go trips.  You should get better mileage, but at a price.

By your short comment, I agree the gas engine is a better choice for your needs.

grashley said:
I have a F350 diesel and love it.  BUT  it rarely moves without the FW attached or a trip to Home Depot.

As others have said, go with the F350.  It is a bit stiffer suspension, but the identical body and options.  The big deal is the higher GVWR and higher payload.  Should you choose to upgrade, the truck can handle it.

Diesels are preferred IF most of your travel in the truck is 20+ miles between stops AND towing something.  They are great climbing hills.
They do not like stop and go trips.  You should get better mileage, but at a price.

By your short comment, I agree the gas engine is a better choice for your needs.

So, if they don?t like stop and go (and how would I know), what about the thousands of delivery trucks?
My truck is fine and I rarely tow at the moment. It makes heat within 2 miles of home and is fully warmed halfway to the grocery store.

My Miata is throwing heat in under a mile.  The truck does not get thoroughly warmed up for about 20 miles.  There is a lot of metal in that 6.7L to get warm.  The smog system is very inefficient when the system is cold.  The particulate filter needs to get hot and stay hot to avoid frequent "regeneration" cycles.

The diesel will work for short runs, but it runs better on the long haul.  Delivery trucks do get warmed up and stay warm because most stops are very short stops.  When I go shopping, a short trip is 15 minutes of cool down before continuing.

grashley said:
My Miata is throwing heat in under a mile.  The truck does not get thoroughly warmed up for about 20 miles.  There is a lot of metal in that 6.7L to get warm.  The smog system is very inefficient when the system is cold.  The particulate filter needs to get hot and stay hot to avoid frequent "regeneration" cycles.

The diesel will work for short runs, but it runs better on the long haul.  Delivery trucks do get warmed up and stay warm because most stops are very short stops.  When I go shopping, a short trip is 15 minutes of cool down before continuing.

My electric vehicle Tesla is throwing heat before I get in it.  Just tell the app you want the car warmed up and turn the heated seats on from the app.    ;)  Electric is the way to go as they come out!

We went with the F350 SRW diesel as it was perfect for our fifth wheel. I know the OP does not have the requirements for either the 350 or diesel but that is at the moment.
He correctly thought his F150 would be insufficient, so by getting a larger truck now, he has future proofed should they decide to go bigger as their RVing develops. With regards to cost, we recently had ours in for what Ford call the works, oil and filters, tyre rotation, fluids, brake inspection and wash for around $140.
At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your choice.
Regards
TonyL

3500 SRW GMC Duramax here.  Previously I pulled my 22' Travelaire (sold) with a Ram that had a 5.7 Hemi - lots of power but fuel mileage when pulling was brutal.  Through the mountains pulling the Travelaire I would average 28 L/100km (8.4MPG).  Pulling the same set up, same roads with the Duramax I averaged 18 L/100km (13MPG) and way more power.  For me more power = more relaxing driving on busy highways.  Slightly higher cost of fuel and maintenance is by far offset by improved mileage.  Probably never go back to a gasser for pulling anything.  Ride quality of the 3500 vs the 2500 is the same.  The extra GVWR in the 3500 comes from overloader springs that do not engage until you have more weight in it. 

I traded my 2005 Ram 1500 Hemi for a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins 2 years ago. It is only a little taller and longer (quad cab vs crew cab) and a lot heavier. But, it?s fuel cost is actually less driving empty or with a 10k lb trailer.
It will be fine for our first 5th wheel we plan to purchase next year, a used GD 337RLS. I would have got a dually but where I currently live the extra length & width would be a problem. Will likely upgrade in several years and then get a big toy hauler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom