RV HF Nets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Phil said:
On second thought, that's what Tom has done for us already.

LOL Phil, glad someone noticed.

If there's sufficient interest, I'll gladly open a message board for discussions of on-air communications. Better still, I've opened one here to test the waters. If it's used, I'll leave it open and if not, I'll close it. Feel free to suggest a more appropriate name.

We occasionally get folks asking ham-related questions. I'll scour the other boards and move related messages to the new board.

Tom said:
We occasionally get folks asking ham-related questions. I'll scour the other boards and move related messages to the new board.

Tom,

Several members of this forum use FRS radios to communicate.  I suspect that is because of the Morse Code requirement to operate similar ham radio equipment.  Now that the Morse Code requirement has been dropped from the ham radio license, many people may be changing to more versatile radios.  It's nice to be able to use the many mountain top repeaters around the country to get local information and extend our communications range.

Phil

Phil said:
A better idea is to have a computer forum so all of us can communicate without using a radio at all.

On second thought, that's what Tom has done for us already.  :)

Well, though it is true that Tom has done this, The virtual campfire tends to be a bit... Lonely.  A few of us generally show up, Perhaps half a dozen on a good Wed Evening.  On the radio nets I participate in numbers in the teens are considered low.

Of course on the Wolverine SSB net,,, The official net starts around 7pm, The "Pre-net" 5:30 (eastern 3.935Mhz iirc) and the pre-net is way more interesting since it's open discussion.

But a round table PSK-31 net might be very interesting.

Advantage of PSK-31.. Well.. With SSB (Voice, single sideband) I can do most of lower Michigan and parts of the surrounding states reliablly on 80 meters using nothing more than 75-100 feet of wire and a 100 watt mobile rig.

but truly reliable cross country.... NOT going to happen. at least at this point in the sunspot cycle.  (Of course perhaps if I parked at the Blue-Ox campground... From there I made it to the Wolverine net on 80 and the FMCA pre-net on 20, Net control was near Dallas, TX)

PSK 31.. Well, I cut it down to around 30 watts and have had multiple cross country contacts from here in high-noise Detroit and INTERNATIONAL contacts from assorted campgrounds.

I do understand the reasons for this (PSK-31 is only about 31-32 HZ wide where as SSB is 2.5KHZ wide, so where I need to bulldoze a SSB signal through the noise, PSK cuts like a knife) but it's putting the fun back in Radio for me.

Now that the Morse Code requirement has been dropped from the ham radio license....

I didn't know that Phil, or maybe I knew and forgot  :(

Tom said:

Do I need to send you a study guide so you can get a license?  ;D

I need a study guide? Does that mean there's an exam? Is there also a 'practical' test in the presence of an examiner or another ham?

Tom said:
I need a study guide? Does that mean there's an exam? Is there also a 'practical' test in the presence of an examiner or another ham?

Study guides can usually be purchased at Fry's Electronics and Radio Shack.

Yes, you need a study guide if you don't already have the electronic and regulatory background.  There is a written exam, in the presence of an examiner (can be FCC or a qualified ham) and it covers the regulations as well as some radio theory.  Not difficult, especially with your background, but I used a guide before I renewed my Tech license in 1998 as I had been away from ham radio for a lot of years and I would not have passed the written test without it.

Tom, the no-code rule went into effect this year. So there is no excuse for you not to participate. You don't even need muscles for it. :)

There are many websites, some of which have test examples and instructions. Just google 'ham radio' or 'amateur radio' . I'll see if I can locate some good ones and post them for you and others that are interested, soon.

Many elderly hams, like myself, have gone hi-tech lately by incorporating the computer into the old fashioned morse-code and talk-talk-talk system. As you learn more about the whole game you will find out what spectacular things hams have created over the years and what is now possible to do.

I am about half-way up to date and I don't think I have enough time left to strive to catch up. -It's magic'.

I started the hobby in 1958, when I was in the Airforce in the cold North. It took a few years to get the advanced licensing privilege, (can be done fairly fast) but the memories are indescribable. With a low power setup, imagine getting a reply from some ham in Sverdlovsk, USSR on one of your first contacts. The adrenaline was flowing: I guess you get the idea.

I am still using a transceiver, bought new, in 1975. Has never failed me and does all the basic things that the newest models do. Just the bells and whistles are missing, the ones that cost the big bucks nowadays.

Regarding the test: Most of them are done thru a local AR club in your area. Many of them have a schedule for them, just contact a local ham and find out.

carson FL

The best study guides, far as I can tell, are the ARRL books http://www.arrl.org You will find a link to the "Store" in the upper right portion of your screen.

When I first went to Quartzsite I picked up a Gordon West study guide.  This is a simple memory book, He lists all the possible questions, their answers and some hints toward how to remember the answers... But no clue as to how to DETERMINE the answer or to use the info.  I very quickly slammed up against the old stone wall.

I then decided to take a class.  The class used the ARRL guide... The ARRL guide includes the theory behind the answer so it kind of took a wreaking ball to that stone wall... And the instructor I had.  Ground up the stone, mixed in some other stuff and poured out nice smooth pavement to pave my way to EXTRA class.  I mean, that test was EASY and I'd only compleated 2/3 of the course (Plus some additional hitting of the books, I mean for a couple of weaks before the test date I lived, ate, breathed, slept, dreamed those tests... Passed too I did, 1st try

Now that was extra.  There are only 3 classes these days, Tech, General and Extra

You will need to know some theory, some regulatoin and some operating practices to pass any of the tests.. Technican is more regulations and op-practice, general and extra add other elements.

For example.. Astrophysics (part of the extra is, in fact, rocket science,  Very simple rocket science, but rocket science non the less)

You can see a sample test at http://www.qrz.com  I took perhaps a hundred of the extra class sample tests on my road to a license... passed every one too.

Thanks for the test link John. I passed the first tech test without studying, mostly common sense and not much more than Ohm's law. Looks like I'd need to study though.

Tom said:
Thanks for the test link John. I passed the first tech test without studying, mostly common sense and not much more than Ohm's law. Looks like I'd need to study though.

I can see it all now.  Tom's new HF radio on the boat with a new giant antenna that's a bit larger than the new antenna on the motorhome.    ;D

LOL Phil, I already have enough antennae on the boat along with the open array radar.

Dave R said:
Why don't you start the RV Forum net Joel and I will check in when we get back home.

Dave

I got a alternative plan.  The 79 Net.  I'm there MWF @ 7:30 PM EDT.  We could meet there & QYS if you like.  Good bunch of Yankee Boys.

Joel
KC2CUX

Was looking at one of the Tall Ships and saw a nice neat Automatic Antenna Tuner on it.  On a sail boat there are antenna posibilities a plunty.. You run a sloper off the mast.. Different guy lines = different bands.

"There are only 3 classes these days, Tech, General and Extra"

If you mean the early 1960's, IIRC, it was Novice, Tech and  General (and Advanced only if you held it from a long time before, when they still issued such).

The so-called incentive licensing, an idea created by the ARRLids,  started in the mid / late 1960's and then they started the  Advanced (again) and Extra (never before).

I was drafted into the army in 1969. At that time, I had the Advanced Class because of the two year requirement of General or above to take the test (at the FCC) for Extra. I never held the General Class. I had to wait until after the army to take the Extra (1971).

73, Don, AA6GA

Tom said:

They dropped all Morse code requirements.. IIRC, This last Feburary,  (Or there abouts)  I got my Extra in December (Took test in November) so I still had to know 5WPM.  Listened to W1AW code practice run the other day.... I'm comfortable at 10 WPM if I apply myself, they send 10 WPM however at 13wpm with 10wpm spacing.. I really got to listen to more code. I'd like to be able to copy faster.

Wow.  When I got my extra it was 20 wpm.  Times have changed.  Years ago I also got my First Class Radiotelephone with radar endorsement, and now First, Second, and Third are all merged.  Nothing matters anymore. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom