Should I mix Transmission Fluid with diesel fuel to clean injectors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcalbuquerque

Hello
I was just advised by a fellow RVer (who owns a rig just like mine) to add one quart transmission fluid to every other tank of fuel in my rear pusher RV.He said it would keep everything clean and inprove mileage. Is this good advise?
Thanks Lou

I've never heard of that and I sure wouldn't add transmission fluid to my diesel fuel. Maybe the techies will have a better answer for you.

Don't put anything in your diesel fuel that isn't recommended by the engine manufacturer.  That means, generally, nothing.

tranny fluid is for transmissions...............as long as you buy good quality diesel fuel you should never have to use additives. alot of additives have alchohol in them, which is not good for injection pumps or injectors. if you insist on using an additive once in a while, go to a big truck stop and ask truckers what they are using, if anything. that would be your safest bet.......

rcalbuquerque said:
Hello
I was just advised by a fellow RVer (who owns a rig just like mine) to add one quart transmission fluid to every other tank of fuel in my rear pusher RV.He said it would keep everything clean and inprove mileage. Is this good advise?
Thanks Lou

Very good advise  to put under the DO NOT DO list.  Stick with only additives recommended by your engine manufacturer which you will find to be next to none.

I've seen several messages in various websites recommending adding ATF to diesel to increase its lubricity.  It started with the introduction of low-sulfur diesel back in 1993 (less sulfur = less lubricity), but I have seen no data supporting its use. Apparently the US Army tested diesel with ATF to see if the lubricity improved and found there was no improvement.  ATF in Diesel I've also seen it suggested that ATF may be an anti-gel ingredient, again with no supporting evidence.

I have also seen several warnings not to add anything to diesel fuel, unless specifically designed for it (e.g. a biocide or anti-gel additive for winter use). In particular, the engine manufacturers recommend against it and cite potential damage to lift/injector pumps.

Fuel refiners add lubricity enhancers already, so no other additives are required for that. If you need an anti-gel additive, buy one. They don't cost any more than ATF.

A couple of months ago I took my rig in for a recall notice. I've told this story before.  (The dealer said they could not get the replacement part in 2 weeks, I got it in just a few hours, The national service manager for Workhorse put it in my hand himself)

Well, I suspect part of the reason he was so willing to deliver was a service bulletin Workhorse had just put out.

This had to do with after market mods such as the Ultra Power, Banks, K&N (they make a full cold air intake kit, not just a filter but the entire CAI) and others.  The bulletin warned dealers that if the engine had been modified and if the modification had caused damage the warranty would NOT cover it.

People SCREAMED.. My post in the topic basically said "Why is everybody so upset, this is standard language in every warranty I've ever read.. Basically he's saying "We break it, or we don't put it in right, or it's not up to spec, We fix it, YOU Break it, YOU fix it.

So what does this have to do with adding ATF to Diesel fuel?

If the rig then develops a problem and it can be blamed on adding ATF to the tank... They are gonna blame YOU and make YOU pay for it.  Warranty or not.

NOTE: This is standard practice in the industry.  I'm not blaming anyone or making any startaling statements here.  Any non-approved additives or modifications have the potential to void your warranty if it can be shown that they caused the damage.

And like the drug companies who have experts who testalie that thier products are safe and have no harmful side effects.

The auto companies including Workhorse, Freightlinger, Ford and _______ all have experts who will happily testify (or testalie) that your unauthorized modification is what caused the damage.

And in some cases.. They are telling the truth!!!!!!

NOTE: This post in no way addresses the issue of adding ATF to the fuel tank or the effect of it on the engine, I do not know if it will do good, harm, or, nothing at all. I've never tested or researched it.

But if the dealer finds out you did it.. Any engine or fuel problems you have down the road, They are going to blame on it.

Granted it's not a MH, but it is a diesel. I use Diesel Power Diesel Kleen available at Walmart or Tractor Supply. It's both a lubricant and cetane booster, available in 1Qt and 1Gal sizes. I use about 16oz per fill. Does seem to make the engine a bit quiter. For the longest time, Ford said an additive was not needed, but with in introduction of ULSD, they also jumped on the band-wagon.

Larry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom