Canadian snowbirds returning to canada - covid effect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdq

hi. we are canadians who snowbird in southern california every year. heading back to bc, planning to arrive sunday march 22. just wondering....

- if still stateside, is covid making you think of returning sooner than planned?

- if already returned to canada, what you have experienced at border upon your return?

cheers,
peter

Our daughter, SIL & grandson arrived Wednesday.  Now it look very much that their air carrier will not be flying in a week, so we will have to pack up and drive them home.  We will all have a self quarantine period once we get home. plus we will have to drive through the gauntlet of the east coast to get home.
    It is a bummer, but many people down here in Florida just are not taking this seriously.  A couple returned 2 days ago from Italy, were told to self isolate, but were seen at the pool this morning.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
  A couple returned 2 days ago from Italy, were told to self isolate, but were seen at the pool this morning.

That is a bummer Ed. Hope you have a safe trip home. Are you coming back after you get them home?
As far as the couple from Italy, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to contact the appropriate people and turn them in right away. They could be infecting hundreds of people.  That's just being stupid. They are idiots.

Once we get home, we will stay there, whether that is next week, or in a month.  Hopefully all will be over by the time we want to return next fall.

Ed

Good luck, and I hope things do clear up by then, but don't expect it to be much better back home.  It looks like there are now cases in every Provence in Canada excluding the Yukon and the NW Territory.  With Ontario being the hardest hit so far with 104 confirmed cases, which is just behind Florida's 115, even though Ontario only has about 3/4 of the population of Florida.

We are leaving tomorrow from Florida by car to arrive in Montreal in 4 (or 5) days just because!! Our DIL was supposed to arrive by air today and drive us but, it turns out, that our son would be quarantined for 14 days after her return if she did that. Our plans changed quickly as a result.

We have been here less than two weeks, the late arrival (arrival is usually in Nov) was due to other health problems unrelated to the virus.

it?s a reminder that....

?life is that thing that?s happening despite what you were planning or thinking!?

Living near I-75 in Central Florida I can tell from first hand observation that the migration north has begun early this year. Lots of RVs headed north, few to none headed south on I-75.  As a reminder, if you are going north and then west, or even to the midwest, consider Hwy 98/19 and 27/Alt 27 to 98/19.  Yes you go thru a few small towns with stop lights but stop and go on I-75 is no fun and both routes take about the same time (+/- 10 min) when I-75 is moving.

Good luck and drive safe if you are going north and east.

The Insurance companies are getting worried about Canadians who winter out of the country....

Some will only. Have coverage until March 25/20

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-snowbirds-covid-19-insurance-1.5499666

pdq said:
it?s a reminder that....

?life is that thing that?s happening despite what you were planning or thinking!?

I planned to travel in North America with my wife.. But how you said "life is unpredictable! "
When will Usa and Canada will open Borders to visitors from Europe? :'(

FoldPV said:
I planned to travel in North America with my wife.. But how you said "life is unpredictable! "
When will Usa and Canada will open Borders to visitors from Europe? :'(

Our numbers are still climbing, but my guess, June you will be allowed to travel to USA, but that will depend on your countries numbers too. 

As a total guess, I would say it will be over a year before either Canada or the US open the borders to tourist travel from Europe, or many other locations.

Ed

Can you imagine, what it would be like visiting the NPs if no foreign tourists, outside of North Amaerica, were here or in Canada, next year?

phil-t said:
Can you imagine, what it would be like visiting the NPs if no foreign tourists, outside of North Amaerica, were here or in Canada, next year?
;D ;D  They'll go broke.

I think they will ge busy once the current restrictions are lifted as Everyone will want to be outside.

SpencerPJ said:
;D ;D  They'll go broke.
Unlike private parks, most are financed by tax dollars. They will take a hit none the less. Hopefully it is not an excuse to provide less services there. Perhaps the govts will push to fix up infrastructure as a means to get the economy going again. Maybe they will upgrade some of the parks as part of this package. Many have been complaining of the deteriorating condition of many state and national parks in the US. On topic, my friends crossed back to Canada from Texas about four days ago. They are in self quarantine for 14 days. No problems at the border. They didn't even examine them for signs of sickness, other than to look at them through the window.

Hfx_Cdn said:
over a year before either Canada or the US open the borders

SpencerPJ said:
my guess, June

2 months 12months
OMG this is too unfair. I mean, we could visit Mars and cloning animals... but a stupXX virus bring all the world to the medieval era :'( I hope in the scientist knowledge.. 8)

I live, S&B house, on the St. Lawrence River, less than 1 mile from Canada and less than 4 miles from a major international bridge, on a major route leading to and from that bridge.  I ss a "few" Canadian vehicles.  I get this on my phone when it roams to Canada, a few times a day.

Attachments

• canada.jpg
    canada.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom