Wiring nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samcro619

Hello everyone,
I'm new to owning an RV. I purchased a 1989 Komfort 31 foot motor home. Its on a Chevy chassis with a big block 454 cubic inch engine. Someone prior to me got into the wiring and had no clue as to what he/she was doing. It has an isolator system and a battery shut off system. Those I don't care about right now. I just replaced the alternator and the battery still isn't charging. Does someone have a good resource for a wiring diagram or anything that might help me? Thanks in advance.

Battery disconnect switch on? Reverse polarity fuses good? In line battery resetable fuse good? Are you using or know how to use a volt meter??

Ok is the ENGINE or House battery not charging?
Many Cars (Do not know about Chevy that model year) have what is called  Fuseable Link (Piece of wire designed to act as  a fuse) attached usually to the alternator  if it "blows" well same as any fuse,.

IF the engine battery is charging but not the house

Salesman switch (Battery disconnect switch)
Battery main fuse or circuit breaker
Isolator
and last but not least bad wire or wire not connected

Many RV's have multiple wires on the positive terminal of the battery

House power,,, Engine Charge and One other

The engine alternator probably connects through the isolator module, so maybe you do care about it.  However, you could bypass it for the present. Alternator wiring isn't complicated, mostly a feedback circuit from the ignition switch and a fat output cable to feed the electrical system.  In an RV that gets modified to include feeding the isolator module or relay, but that's the only difference from a truck chassis.

It's hard to make suggestions without knowing how it is wired right now. Photos or sketches of the existing wiring path for the alternator would help us figure it out.  Alternator wiring isn't complicated and any Chevy P32 motorhome chassis manual should help with it. Suggest you download and keep one handy.  Here's one of the right general vintage:

https://www.gmcmi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/P30-Chassis-Manual.pdf

Back
Top Bottom