Researching 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KBC58472

Hello RVer's,

First time on the forum.
I am looking to purchase a 2018 GD Imagine 2400BH and in doing my research I've come across a few cases reported to NHTSA.gov regarding suspension/axle issues.
Is there anyone in this group that has had issues / experience dealing with this on their GD Imagine?
If so, what axle was installed at the factory?
It looks like GD changed axles around 2018 to Dexter from LIPPERT?
I might have that wrong but if you have information, I'd appreciate it.

Many Thanks
KBC

KBC,

You are walking the correct path.  Research Hard, they buy and Keep your fingers crossed.  In that order.

I can't speak to any 5th wheel problems.  Never owned anything in my life but one RV.  The one we bought back in August 2019, a Class C.

I did all my camping with Uncle Sugar (US) in the past, AKA: US Army.

From my limited RVn eXperience the are all some degree a combination of Cheap parts, unless you break out some cash and put on some Quality Aftermarket Parts, yourself.  The story told by the old timers, Pre-Market Crash of 2008 there were some quality MH MFG but now days all the MFG that have not been gobbled up by corporate buy outs all produce shiny objects made of Particle board and cheap plastic for the most parts.  I am sure there are a few Lemons and alot of pretty good 5th Wheel Grand Design (GD) out there too.

I know on my 2017 Winnebago, Aspect 30J had a factory Lemon (Rear Shock).  Pretty sure when WGO ordered the E-450 Superduty Van Cut from Ford, only option checked was "Big Motor" No checks on the suspension parts when it came to WGO purchased cu$tomer option$. 

In my Class C case I am guessing WGO, figured the owner can add all the good stuff later. WGO has to Keep up with the Jone's (Competition being, Other Particle Board MFG in this Case).  I paid to have the suspension made safe.  Sway Bars, better Shocks, and Steering stabilizer too, I paid for. 

At least I do not have the feel of "aiming" my RV down the road anymore.  Old "Kentucky Windage" is not cool when you have you foot on the accelerator of a 33' house rolling down the Pot Holed roads you will be traveling down in the future. 

GD does look good.  I am sure.  Look is the key word. 

If you are concerned with Axle problems, loaded weight should be of concern on how much you are packing into the 5th Wheel.

If it is used and you have brand new tires....I would be leary if it also had Generation 1, pre-MFG-upgraded Axles.

With the info you provided.  I bet the only reason they changed MFG of their Axle was there are known problems (MFG probably holding their " playing cards" Close to their vests) with the original MFG parts.  I bet they had some Customers who spent alot of money and had some left over to $$ to have a lawyer deliver a Nasty Gram on their paid behalf to Corporate GD HQ.

My Guess.  My Opinion only.  Sorry I could not give you a great answer. 

Good Luck.  Hope your future GD was not rolling down the Assy Line at Beer Thirty, on a Friday.  Fingers Crossed/

JD

Foot note...

Don't look like Uncle Jed and Jethro on the Start of the Beverly Hillbillies, old 1960s TV show.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82K8tVkqUJo&list=PL1V2SSERycssvC_FFdtBA16Qhiityw_ii&index=2

Note 30 second mark on Clip.  Don't let that be you, wink

Overloading can I am sure, damage, bend, torque, twist even semi good Axles, 2nd Gen stuff they currently use.

KBC,

I came back and relooked at my incessant rambling on this board, to make sure the typed text was somewhat Clear, for my audience, of one. 

Needed to reply to my own post to keep things correct, also.  ;)

I am going to try and keep this relatively short.

There may be one or two good line of text hidden somewhere in this Chapter. 

I have gone into Xtra Recluse mode here lately for some reason? 

Trust me I got a few minutes to spare. Before I change the Oil on the V10.  Here goes..

Then I RE looked at your OP words, and Bingo, I have a product, a Tow Dolly Produced by Stehl.

They Use Dexter Products, too.

I have some interest in your OP words myself.

At least from entertainment value perspective.

Product Quality --VS-- Product Quality

Opinion.  I love PRO or CON Opinions, they are so entertaining. 

I can say for sure, I am going to do my best performing Maintenance on my Dolly, Take my chances, and..?Run it ?till it Craters". 

I am not scared of it though. 

As long as my front end of my RV tie rods don't come loose, I should be good, right? wink?

/// Did you see the pic of the Tie Rod Castle nut being cross thread here on RV Forum day or two ago, no Baloney, search for it?  Guy was like glad I checked out the wobble.  Then snapped a pic of it.

I guess his ?Technician? performing the Repairs said, Aww two threads...Good enough.  I won?t be there when it hits the fan. 

I will drift and share, I worked for one Notorious Oil Drilling Company in the early 1980s. The long Since Defunct, Transcontinental Oil Well Drilling Company. TC were the Kings of doing things on the cheap and NASCAR Pit Crew FAST!  We would have Cold Welded that Castle nut with a sledge hammer, and ran it down the that Tie Rod with that bad Castle nut, Highway, wide open, Turbos Glowing Red Hot.

We were the black hatted Oil villians in a western.  People had to think twice about hiring on with TC.  I didn?t know any better, my X Mother in Law was the secretary of the former owner of the Drilling Company, and got me the job. 

At Least I was fortunate enough to break out with Leonard Anderson, Driller. 

His Son?s just called him Lightnin. 

My Oil Field Dad, taught me well.  RIP Lightnin.  I found his grave on Find  A Grave and brought him a Pint on Black Velvet and laid on his Stone when I was passing thru my home town in 2018 on our first Trip to Monument Valley.

I think the new RV stuff is all underbuilt unless you are doing to throw some serious $$ at these contraptions.

Your Original eXtracted words..

From your OP
It looks like GD changed axles around 2018 to Dexter from LIPPERT?
I might have that wrong but if you have information, I'd appreciate it.
---
I would like to hear if anybody Know who is the Superior MFG of the Cheap Parts Dexter or Lippert, too? 
JD

John, you don't have to make a fresh post to correct a mistake. On the upper right of your post there will be a "modify" button, right next to the "quote" button.

I was just rambling Larry.  I guess I have a audience of 2...LOL  ;D

You will have to forgive me.  I am slightly neurotic. 

Can't help it.  Got a touch of OCD from Mom and PTSD from back in the Oil Field days.

I am a survivor, as are all, Oil Field Trash are.  Halliburton...I remember, Brother.

I was trying to break my posts down into long paragraphs as opposed to long Chapters.  Wink

JD

Back
Top Bottom