Let?s Put This Coronavirus ?Hysteria? into Perspective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whilst self isolation, minimizing travel, and only shopping for what is required should be everyone's mandate wherever you are in the world, at some point in the future, the world will have to proceed. Hopefully it will be after the pandemic is downgraded, but what happens long term if we cannot take back control?

garyb1st said:
Just curious.  Do you guys do this annually?  If so, do you have a history of concerns?  I've had the so called pre-cancer skin thingies frozen periodically.  But unless I mention it, dermatology just doesn't come up during my annual visit. 
I have an appointment with a dermatologist twice a year since having three surgeries to remove basil, squamous and melanoma sites. I was going quarterly, but I've been clean for a while so they reduced it to three times a year and now twice a year. Hopefully we can get back to just annually.

I agree with the exams; in fact I'm on a six month exam schedule after having a number of cancers removed. Living in FL now may be partly responsible for that. I strongly suggest that anyone over fifty consider having an exam and take the dr's reccomendation as to future exam intervals.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
I agree with the exams; in fact I'm on a six month exam schedule after having a number of cancers removed. Living in FL now may be partly responsible for that. I strongly suggest that anyone over fifty consider having an exam and take the dr's reccomendation as to future exam intervals.

Ernie

I'm on a six month schedule right now after having 21 cancers removed over the last 25 years. I had an appointment for tomorrow but canceled it along with all other non-essential doctor's appointments in the last two weeks. But yesterday, I noticed in the mirror a mole on my face turning blue that had popped up since my last doctor's visit. I called them back today and made another appointment for tomorrow. This isn't something I want to wait six months or longer to have taken care of.

Oldgator73 said:
Where there?s a will, there?s a way.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/clubs-closed-covid-19-strippers-205306427.html

After you get the knee done, and if this is still ongoing then it does look like there are job opportunities at least.  ;D

Wash your Patties.

JD

X-Roughneck said:
After you get the knee done, and if this is still ongoing then it does look like there are job opportunities at least.  ;D

Wash your Patties.

JD

I think if someone ordered food to be delivered and I rolled up topless, not only would they immediately lose their appetite but they would also demand a full refund.

Hi Gary B. and gate,

Your both still good looking but some of the muscles have just moved around a bit. Maybe it isn't all muscle. I keep wondering who the old guy is in front of my mirror and how he got there.  :)

camperAL said:
Hi Gary B. and gate,

Your both still good looking but some of the muscles have just moved around a bit. Maybe it isn't all muscle. I keep wondering who the old guy is in front of my mirror and how he got there.  :)

I keep hearing on the news that old folks should stay home and some stores have special shopping times for old folks. I mention this to the wife and she reminds me that they are talking about us. Oh yeah...

garyb1st said:
Just curious.  Do you guys do this annually?  If so, do you have a history of concerns?

As with others who have responded, we also have annual checkups by a dermatologist. Every year he finds things to freeze off or remove for biopsy.

I'm a real believer in this.  My father and a close business associate died from skin cancers that weren't caught in time. Just because they are "on the surface" doesn't mean that they can't do considerable harm.  Even people with darker skin colors can have dangerous skin cancers; one of our acquaintances here in coastal TX has been fighting for her life for 3+ years after having been diagnosed with a kind of melanoma that mostly is found in darker-skinned people.

Oldgator73 said:
I keep hearing on the news that old folks should stay home and some stores have special shopping times for old folks. I mention this to the wife and she reminds me that they are talking about us. Oh yeah...

Went grocery shopping yesterday.  Two lines to go in.  One for us seniors and one for the rest.  Seniors can go in a half hour early.  I was number 5 in the old folks line.  It only took about 20 minutes to get into the store.  Then it was pretty much business as usual.  Didn't leave me feeling very secure. 

But this is just life in SoCal for now.  Hopefully the rest of the country will not have to experience this insanity.  On the positive side, getting to the store during rush hour was a breeze. 

Oldgator73 said:
I think if someone ordered food to be delivered and I rolled up topless, not only would they immediately lose their appetite but they would also demand a full refund.

A Laugh, does the soul good.  I am getting your drift, for sure.  ;D

I feel young until I look at myself in a mirror.

I guess that proves the theory that some of us never grow up. 

I think RVn and the sense of adventure leads to this young mind set in us all. 

JD

TonyL said:
Control of the virus

If we don?t get control,then it is the end of life as we know it,I suppose.  Those who are left will build a better world,I hope.  Those who didn?t make it,God will sort it out.  The more overwhelmed the medical community is at one time,the more who will die due to lack of resources.  I suggest we all lockdown for two weeks.  Grocery,medicines and doctor visits.  Gas for the essential employees.  Maryland just needs to do it.  Every state in the union.  Close state boarders.  Either make an all-out effort or ramp up the coffin industry.  Did all the politicians buy up the stocks?

Its too late for that, this thing is already everywhere, look at the Johns Hopkins map https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6  The only places without lots of red dots are a few of the very sparsely populated states, add to it the un-diagnosed cases and this thing is just about everywhere.

Isaac-1 said:
Its too late for that, this thing is already everywhere, look at the Johns Hopkins map https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6  The only places without lots of red dots are a few of the very sparsely populated states, add to it the un-diagnosed cases and this thing is just about everywhere.

I take that as a good sign.
There appears to be around 3 million infected, now, and of those about 400 thousand reported as requiring medical attention, and of those about 20 thousand deaths

So, while the chances of being infected are scary, the chances of survival are good.
"Keep your distance" seems to be the motto of the week.

I fundamentally disagree with that last statement, this thing is growing fast, and it takes time for people to die, it does not kill instantly, people tend to linger for a while before they die, so most of the deaths we have seen are from people that got sick 2 weeks ago.

The numbers I am seeing when looking at hot spots like New Orleans, are 80% recover at home, but may feel really bad for a week or so.  20% need hospitalization which is primarily supportive care plus supplemental Oxygen, and of those that are hospitalized, about 25% end up on a ventilator, with about 30-50% of those eventually dying.  The numbers get much worse when you look at older people, for those over 70, 50% end up in the hospital on Oxygen, 30-40% of those then end up on ventilators, of which 50% die.

If the hospitals fill up, then we may be looking at 20% death rate for those that can't get Oxygen, etc.

Isaac-1 said:
I fundamentally disagree with that last statement, this thing is growing fast, and it takes time for people to die, it does not kill instantly, people tend to linger for a while before they die, so most of the deaths we have seen are from people that got sick 2 weeks ago.

The numbers I am seeing when looking at hot spots like New Orleans, are 80% recover at home, but may feel really bad for a week or so.  20% need hospitalization which is primarily supportive care plus supplemental Oxygen, and of those that are hospitalized, about 25% end up on a ventilator, with about 30-50% of those eventually dying.  The numbers get much worse when you look at older people, for those over 70, 50% end up in the hospital on Oxygen, 30-40% of those then end up on ventilators, of which 50% die.

If the hospitals fill up, then we may be looking at 20% death rate for those that can't get Oxygen, etc.

Yes, for many, survival is going to depend on getting proper medical care for those in need. We must hope that the US can recreate the efforts of China and South Korea to contain the thing.
I suspect the real cases in the US are approaching 420,000, now. And many of them are in the population centers where the medical centers are going to be severely stressed.
near 18,000 reported cases in NYC, alone.

Check the left-hand column, and select Admin3 for US stats:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

In two weeks we could be looking at 2 million in the US, with a couple hundred thousand needing medical attention.
Can we build hospitals as quickly as the Chinese did?
I saw where New York is turning their largest Convention Center into a medical facility.
Many of the other cities may be doing the same thing, pretty soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom