rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: attaching panel to roof  (Read 394 times)

kportra

• ---
attaching panel to roof
« on: March 23, 2020, 09:08:02 AM »
I just received by 100W solar starter kit from Renogy.  I've read the materials and watched many videos.  One question I have (so far) is related to installing it on the roof.  I've seen videos where they put dicor on the bottom of each Z bracket, screw it down, and then seal the top thoroughly.  I've also seen installations where instead of dicor under the bracket they use a small strip of eternabond.  Are both right?  Is one better than the other?

Also - to hold the wires to the roof, should I use eternabond?

Thanks - Kass
2020 Jayco Jay Flight SLX8 245 RLSW
2017 Heartland Prowler Lynx 18LX
2014 F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost
Big Sky Country

Heli_av8tor

• ---
Re: attaching panel to roof
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 10:19:33 AM »
My roof is “rubber” over plywood. On my original install I used brackets that came with the high strength tape. Screws through the brackets and Dicor finished the mount. On a fiberglass roof they say that the tape alone is enough.

When I went to the SolaRVector Power tilt mounts I used 1/4-20 jack nuts. Probably overkill but...
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 11:28:59 AM »
The tape alone is enough on a fiberglass or metal roof, but with rubber roofs if you choose to use the tape, you also need to screw the brackets to the roof.  What I have done is apply dicor to the bottom of the brackets prior to setting in place and also to the threads of the screws, then apply a generous amount of dicor over and around the screw heads and the brackets where they attache to the roof.  Our rig is my third solar install and never had a leak.  To your question on securing the wires to the roof, there are 3-ways it can be done, 1) to use eternabond tape as you asked, 2) secure using zip ties with a base that have VHB tape on the underside 3) set the wires in strategically place beds of dicor.  On my first install I used the zip ties with a base method, but on my last two installs I have set the wires in beds of dicor.  I have not used Eternabond tape for securing wires for a couple reasons, the first is cost, Eternabond tape is expensive so I reserve it for repairing damage to the rubber roof and second Eternabond is a pain to remove adding extra work in the future should you need to replace or move the wires. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:30:34 AM by Gizmo »
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

kportra

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 12:42:02 PM »
Mine is a rubber roof.
2020 Jayco Jay Flight SLX8 245 RLSW
2017 Heartland Prowler Lynx 18LX
2014 F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost
Big Sky Country

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 01:01:40 PM »
For wire hold-downs I used the square blocks that accepts wire ties. Mine are held down with a screw then Dicor to weatherproof.

Wished I’d been smart enough to think of the tape for these and not used the screws.
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Robert K

• ---
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 03:08:51 PM »
When you say fiberglass roof are you talking Filon.
That is on my roof and it is only attached at edges and by vents and ACs.
Bob&Sandy
96 Safari Serengeti
3126 Cat
2011 jeep wrangler
Western New York